Despite loss, Mets fans stay for Shea...

Despite loss, Mets fans stay for Shea's closing ceremony

There are 6 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 28, 2008, titled Despite loss, Mets fans stay for Shea's closing ceremony. In it, Newsday reports that:

John Lennon , a pretty big star who once played at Shea Stadium, had some words that aptly describe the scene for Shea's farewell party.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

nj2b

Manchester Township, NJ

#1 Sep 28, 2008
Where was Mookie and Davey Johnson
Brian

Phoenix, AZ

#2 Sep 28, 2008
Blow the shiity shea stadium up already,mets end history there,with back to back chokes!!hahahahahahaha
VOR

Bronx, NY

#3 Sep 28, 2008
The farewell to Shea tribute was disappointing.

When you look at who was present, it was mostly a collection of role players, and not a stellar list of all stars. Then you start to think of how few home grown stars the Mets have developed.

Where was David Cone? Grote? Did they forget about Al Weis? Ken Boswell? What about remembering the players who are gone - Clendenon, Cardwell,etc.

The whole thing looked hastily and cheaply put together, from the cardboard cutouts to the "pyrotechnic display" at the end. Having each player touch home plate reminded me of a funeral procession with flowers being dropped on a coffin as you said you final goodbye.

They overemphasized Bill Shea, ignored Joan Payson, celebrated employees no one has ever heard of. Having players enter form left and right field instead of all form Center field, obscured the vision for those sitting in left or right field.

No one spoke other than Howie Rose. It would have nice to hear from a player who could communicate what it's like to be a Met. Seaver never quite had a rapport with the fans. McGraw of course, did. Maybe Ed Charles could have summed up what it was like to play here and touch the fans.

It would have been great if an impromptu visit from an active player, like David Wright, to apologize for letting the fans down, thank them for their support, but promise that they are going across the street to bring home a championship.

I couldn't help but feel the whole tribute missed the boat. There was always something friendly and familiar about being a Mets fan, win or lose. I've made a ton of 9 inning friends at Shea, and almost always have encountered friendly, knowledgable diehards sitting in seats around me.

It's too bad Murphy is gone, and Kiner can't emote any more. Wouldn't you rather have had Ron Darling be the Emcee, a guy who really seems to be able to communicate with Joe Fan.

It's hard to celebrate when you lose. But Shea WAS a special place where average guys who grew up in Queens could come, watch a game, and cheer for their team. The sad thing is that, next year, not only will Shea be gone, but the everyday guy will be replaced by a group of corporate know nothings who are sitting in company seats that their employer or client overpaid for.

It was kind of nice to look over, see a guy with two kids, pull a homemade lunch out of a knapsack. I think, that's unfortunately, gone with Shea also.
Word

Roslyn, NY

#4 Sep 29, 2008
Losers!
Dave

Janesville, WI

#5 Sep 29, 2008
I have a completely different take on the ceremony.
1. Howie Rose was perfect-a local fan himself, he grew up on the Mets. He was Joe Fan and along with Garry Cohen has a tremendouse knowledge of team history. His intros were short and to the point on each player.
2. Other than Seaver, no one player could speak for this team, so if it wasn't him, then nobody.
3. Maybe some people just could not make it, or are at some odds with the organization?
4. To the contrary I thought touching home plate was in great style and allowed each player to be in the spotlight one last time.
5. I agree on Joan Payson, she was instrumental in the development of the organization.
6. Many including Seaver said the building was nothing special, it was the people, so why not mention the many long time, Met/Shea originals.
7. I too, grew up there, in fact grew up with Howie Rose{ I know, I'm biased about him} and Shea was my home away from home.

A part of my youth has been lost
Dave

Janesville, WI

#7 Sep 29, 2008
Nothing like an intelligent response to get a good discussion going

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Zeile Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York Mets: The 25 Best Outfielders in Club ... (Nov '11) Nov '11 MARLOWE01267 1
News Mets have throwing problems in loss to Yankees (Jun '09) Jun '09 Tom Terrific 2
News Mets farewell to Shea was perfect (Oct '08) Oct '08 Tommie 1
News Despite loss, Mets fans stay for Shea closing c... (Sep '08) Sep '08 Dewey 8
News It's the last dance (Sep '08) Sep '08 BK fan since 66 2
News Naturally, Todd Zeile still hard at work (Jun '08) Jun '08 Shannon 5
News Bald is beautiful (May '07) May '07 micohe good 1
More from around the web