Players with ties to the Mets who wer...

Players with ties to the Mets who were mentioned in the Mitchel...

There are 7 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 14, 2007, titled Players with ties to the Mets who were mentioned in the Mitchel.... In it, Newsday reports that:

TODD HUNDLEY 2007: Out of baseball Son of former Cubs catcher Randy Hundley played for the Mets from 1990-1998. He was an All-Star in 1996-1997. Hundley is tied with Carlos Beltran for the single-season Mets ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Jerry Grote

Boxborough, MA

#1 Dec 14, 2007
In typical media fashion, Newsday is trying to make the long stretch of the "local" angle to include the Mets in the Mitchell report.
Most of the players named in this report and by Newsday's own admission were not on the Mets when the steriod use occured. The biggest named Met was Todd Hunley. The majority of these players had a cup of coffee as Mets, or as in the case of Lenny Dykstra, used the juice well after his Met career ended.
It reminds me of when a tragic event happens half way around the world, and the New York media tries to find the local angle by reporting that so and so once lived in some southern New Jersey town. Usually the person had left that town so many years ago, but the media wants to sell papers so they include the small fact that the person once lived in the New York area.
El Rushbo

AOL

#2 Dec 14, 2007
Jerry Grote wrote:
In typical media fashion, Newsday is trying to make the long stretch of the "local" angle to include the Mets in the Mitchell report.
Most of the players named in this report and by Newsday's own admission were not on the Mets when the steriod use occured. The biggest named Met was Todd Hunley. The majority of these players had a cup of coffee as Mets, or as in the case of Lenny Dykstra, used the juice well after his Met career ended.
It reminds me of when a tragic event happens half way around the world, and the New York media tries to find the local angle by reporting that so and so once lived in some southern New Jersey town. Usually the person had left that town so many years ago, but the media wants to sell papers so they include the small fact that the person once lived in the New York area.
Got to agree with you Jerry. They tried so hard to tie this to the Mets. Some of those named weren't eveb with the Mets when they took steroids. But that's what the drive by media does.
Omar Sucks

Binghamton, NY

#3 Dec 16, 2007
Makes sense now why the Mets would not want to re-sign LoDuca---they probably knew of his steroids link before the report even came out and wanted to was their hands of him.
Jerry Grote

Boxborough, MA

#4 Dec 17, 2007
Omar Sucks wrote:
Makes sense now why the Mets would not want to re-sign LoDuca---they probably knew of his steroids link before the report even came out and wanted to was their hands of him.
OK, but if you read the article carefully you would have to say Newsday stretched this as far as they could to make a Met connection, when in reality there is very little Met connection to the Mitchell report.
Joe R

Hollis, NY

#5 Dec 17, 2007
Yeah I agree with you. Dykstra was a squirt as a Met and I remember when he first came up Cub fans were abusing him saying he got lost on a school field trip or to get out of the hole he was standing in.
It wasn't until he was a Phillie that he blew up in size and had much more HR pop. The NY media is trying to make it fair for Met and Yank fans but it seems like Clemens was an abuser equal to Bonds. Pettite really painted him into a corner and confirmed the trainers accusations as credible. So the only equal Met would have to be Seaver.
Jerry Grote wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, but if you read the article carefully you would have to say Newsday stretched this as far as they could to make a Met connection, when in reality there is very little Met connection to the Mitchell report.

“Yeah So”

Since: Oct 07

Gwynn Oak, MD

#6 Dec 17, 2007
[QUOTE who=" I remember when he first came up Cub fans were abusing him saying he got lost on a school field trip <quoted text>[/QUOTE]

HAHA
Jerry Grote

Boxborough, MA

#7 Dec 17, 2007
Joe R wrote:
Yeah I agree with you. Dykstra was a squirt as a Met and I remember when he first came up Cub fans were abusing him saying he got lost on a school field trip or to get out of the hole he was standing in.
It wasn't until he was a Phillie that he blew up in size and had much more HR pop. The NY media is trying to make it fair for Met and Yank fans but it seems like Clemens was an abuser equal to Bonds. Pettite really painted him into a corner and confirmed the trainers accusations as credible. So the only equal Met would have to be Seaver. <quoted text>
The Met beat writer was probably told by his editor, get a Met angle in there as well, we have to sell papers and Met fans only will buy a paper if they see a Met or two named. So they come up with Mark Carreon and Chris Donnels. Now there are two all time great Mets!
The Daily News is loving this because every day they have been putting Petite on the front cover. They try hard to sell their paper to Yankee fans as you can see. Once the A Rod stuff ended we got a few weeks of reprieve. Not any more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Hundley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cubs crossroad: Stay the course or make a change? (Jun '10) Jun '10 EarI of Olay 2
News Dear Jim Hendry: Low Cost Offseason Wish List f... (Dec '09) Dec '09 EARL SCOTT JR 1
News Players with Mets ties named in the Mitchell Re... (Jan '08) Jan '08 John Christian 2
News Radomski linked to 12 of 13 Mets in report (Dec '07) Dec '07 Crusher 11
News Big blast from the past (Dec '07) Dec '07 Dave 18
News Radomski linked to 12 of 13 Mets in report (Dec '07) Dec '07 Scranton Sammy 1
News Former clubhouse attendant provided Mets with d... (Dec '07) Dec '07 koki7710 8
More from around the web