Big blast from the past

Big blast from the past

There are 18 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Dec 13, 2007, titled Big blast from the past. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Cubs were left relatively unscarred by the Mitchell report, despite an Internet story Thursday morning that said Kerry Wood would be named along with ex-Cubs Mark Prior and Sammy Sosa.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Muckle John

Arlington Heights, IL

#1 Dec 14, 2007
Just because people were not named in the report does not exonerate anybody. Juicing is far more widespread than the 80 or so names in the report. Only a fool would believe otherwise.
Jim

AOL

#2 Dec 14, 2007
Think I'll write a book titled "Sure, I Took Steriods, But I Still Stunk."
Chapter One will be about Todd Hundley.
Marc

United States

#3 Dec 14, 2007
Sammy Sosa is a true Hall of Famer...h's not a cheater like Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds or Andy Pettitte...Sosa isn't on the report in terms of being a steroid user...maybe one day this country will go back to "being innocent until proven guilty"....I highly doubt that will happen in this screwed up world, but give Sosa a break...he's not the slime people make him out to be like Clemens...Clemens is major slime...
Jason

Chicago, IL

#4 Dec 14, 2007
No wonder the cubs haven't won the series since 1908. No one is using steroids.
Simon Says

Coal City, IL

#5 Dec 14, 2007
I'm confused, which is fairly normal for me but that's another story, I heard that nine former Cubs were mentioned but all I hear about are the ones from the White Sox.

The funny part though is that all the steroid users on both teams sucked. It figures that we couldn't even employ people to cheat right.

And I do not want to hear how Sosa was not on steroids, please they had to have a special helmet made because his head got so big!

I say wipe the last 20 years from the record books and let's start over.
Sharpton Sucks

Chicago Heights, IL

#6 Dec 14, 2007
This is a good day. The cockroaches are scurrying, and the increased light will make others think twice before using. Or think twice before getting caught.

Since: Oct 07

Chicago, IL

#7 Dec 14, 2007
Jim wrote:
Think I'll write a book titled "Sure, I Took Steriods, But I Still Stunk."
Chapter One will be about Todd Hundley.
My thoughts exactly ... all of the Cubs named on this list were not all that good, even if they were on steroids. Just shows the type of talent the Cubs have had ... even those on performance ENHANCING drugs don't perform.

Marc from Geneva, Sosa corked his bat - No Hall of Fame. And yes, he has used more than Flintstone vitamins. The Mitchell crew sent him a questionnare to fill out, but Sosa declined ... He must have forgotten how to read, just like he suddenly forgot how to speak English at the hearing in Washington a few years ago. Sure, we may never know if he took steroids or not, but odds are and his stats show that he took something during his years with the Cubs. He hasn't done anything since.
Cubs Lifer

United States

#8 Dec 14, 2007
Geeze, Hudley couldn't even get steriods right...
ditkajr

Cerritos, CA

#9 Dec 14, 2007
so that's why the cubbies never won! so much for a curse.
Todd Hundley

Janesville, WI

#10 Dec 14, 2007
I think I must have injected mine the wrong way or somethin.
Muckle John

Arlington Heights, IL

#11 Dec 14, 2007
Marc from geneva:

Sosa's size very suddenly ballooned up to comic book superhero proportions...
Then his HR production ballooned with it.

So you really believe that's from Flintstone vitamins?

Now 2 years later the Flintstone vitamins have been flushed out of his system, so his size and his offensive production are back down to normal... is that it?
Osmond is Awesome

Chesterfield, MO

#12 Dec 14, 2007
A little poem:

If not for the 'roids, the Yanks couldn't win;
The Mets would be losers, again and again;
The Angels would suffer, loss after loss;
Note the Yankees, again, in trouble with Boss;
The White Sox would flutter -- wait, they already do;
The Cardinals would be drunk still, with Tony LaRu;
The suffers of the Red Sox would exist to this day,
Sosa and McGwire wouldn't be washed away;
The Orioles would - yeah, they'd still suck,
and the Giants would have moved;
To Omaha or Vegas; Barry Bonds would still be rude:
The Braves' ten-thousand pennants wouldn't hang on their fence,
and the Florida friggin' Marlins would be nothing, if not less;
The Cubbies, yes the Cubbies, would win game after game;
Year after year, it would remain the same;
That curse that's long been suffered would have long ago been erased;
But the stupid, worthless cheaters slapped us right in our face;
So as Cubs fans, just be happy, for next year is our year;
I propose this first toast, with my Old Style beer.
Stevew

Schaumburg, IL

#14 Dec 14, 2007
Well, isn't it painfully obvious that the Cubs could not have been using anything that enhances performance?
SoxFan

Coal City, IL

#15 Dec 14, 2007
So Sammy Sosa forgetting how to speak "ENGLISH" before the Congress committee, means he didnt take steroids? Give me a break. And funny how he didnt sign with a team after that once they started the mandatory testing. All of you Sammy backers are suckers.
SoxFan

Coal City, IL

#16 Dec 14, 2007
Osmond-Nice poem choad. The report named 12 ex Cubbies. Stop drinking that bleacher bum excrement and get a life. Step away from the 30 pack loser.
Duskin

Brookfield, IL

#17 Dec 14, 2007
Marc wrote:
Sammy Sosa is a true Hall of Famer...h's not a cheater like Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds or Andy Pettitte...Sosa isn't on the report in terms of being a steroid user...maybe one day this country will go back to "being innocent until proven guilty"....I highly doubt that will happen in this screwed up world, but give Sosa a break...he's not the slime people make him out to be like Clemens...Clemens is major slime...
Clemens is slimy and so is Sosa. Mitchell couldn't get the dirt on everyone - he really only had three primary sources. Does anyone really doubt that Sosa took steroids to bulk up from a skinny, but speedy, bum when he was on the Texas Rangers and the White Sox in the beginning of his career into an enormous power hitter by the late 1990s? As he bulked up, he mysteriously lost his base-stealing ability, one of his strengths at the start of his career. He may have packed on a good 70 pounds of muscle from the late 1980s until the late 1990s. How could he possibly have built up and maintained that much muscle without taking steroids or HGH?

There were probably hundreds of additional ballplayers that breathed a sigh of relief when the Mitchell Report came out because Mitchell wasn't able to get the dirt on them.

Mitchell did an admirable job considering that he didn't have subpoena powers.
Osmond is Awesome

United States

#18 Dec 14, 2007
You can't blame Sosa for taking the steroids. If he couldn't speak English, he couldn't read it either. He probably really thought that it was Flintstones vitamins. Give the man a break. He's been nothing but honest throughout his career. And, he's always been a TEAM player! Sosa for president!
Dave

Woodridge, IL

#19 Dec 14, 2007
You forgot to put a line in your poem. Maybe next year the Cubs will score a run in the playoffs.
Osmond is Awesome wrote:
A little poem:
If not for the 'roids, the Yanks couldn't win;
The Mets would be losers, again and again;
The Angels would suffer, loss after loss;
Note the Yankees, again, in trouble with Boss;
The White Sox would flutter -- wait, they already do;
The Cardinals would be drunk still, with Tony LaRu;
The suffers of the Red Sox would exist to this day,
Sosa and McGwire wouldn't be washed away;
The Orioles would - yeah, they'd still suck,
and the Giants would have moved;
To Omaha or Vegas; Barry Bonds would still be rude:
The Braves' ten-thousand pennants wouldn't hang on their fence,
and the Florida friggin' Marlins would be nothing, if not less;
The Cubbies, yes the Cubbies, would win game after game;
Year after year, it would remain the same;
That curse that's long been suffered would have long ago been erased;
But the stupid, worthless cheaters slapped us right in our face;
So as Cubs fans, just be happy, for next year is our year;
I propose this first toast, with my Old Style beer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Todd Hundley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cubs crossroad: Stay the course or make a change? (Jun '10) Jun '10 EarI of Olay 2
News Dear Jim Hendry: Low Cost Offseason Wish List f... (Dec '09) Dec '09 EARL SCOTT JR 1
News Players with Mets ties named in the Mitchell Re... (Jan '08) Jan '08 John Christian 2
News Players with ties to the Mets who were mentione... (Dec '07) Dec '07 Jerry Grote 7
News Radomski linked to 12 of 13 Mets in report (Dec '07) Dec '07 Crusher 11
News Radomski linked to 12 of 13 Mets in report (Dec '07) Dec '07 Scranton Sammy 1
News Former clubhouse attendant provided Mets with d... (Dec '07) Dec '07 koki7710 8
More from around the web