Wedge angered by split

Wedge angered by split

There are 43 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 12, 2008, titled Wedge angered by split. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

CLEVELAND: Eric Wedge was hot, and never mind that the Indians came out of Monday's doubleheader with a split against the Toronto Blue Jays.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ray Russell

Virginia Beach, VA

#1 May 13, 2008
Let's see the Blue Jays lead off the 10th with two left handed hitters, and Wedgie brings in his closer a right hander. Why not Perez a leftie? Was Wedgie sleeping at the wheel?
Paul

Warren, OH

#2 May 13, 2008
Wedge should take the blame himself for putting a triple A lineup in the 2nd game of the doubleheader! Jason Tyner couldn't hit for Minnesota! He shouldn't even be up here! Oh, maybe they're trying to get something for him in trade since Choo will be coming of the DL.Nah, we'll keep three lefthanders and send down Francisco!
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#3 May 13, 2008
The Tribletts batted 8 for 63, that is .127 for th double header. You may like the wins, the pitching, the Casey Blake heroics, but this is a .500 team without the necessary hitting. It is time to bench Hafner. It is time to make a change. Nice to hear an edge in Wedge's voice. Time to take control of this flat division.
Tribe Fan

Cleveland, OH

#4 May 13, 2008
Although Cabrera has yet to bust out offensively, that dude is freaking awesome defensively.

AN UNASSISTED TRIPLE PLAY!! AsCab had great plays in BOTH games. I'd love to see him play SS every day and send Peralta somewhere else. Cabrera was schooling Peralta in SS. Jhonny better have been taking notes what a REAL SS looks like.

“LeBron = Born-again Tribe Fan!”

Since: May 07

Tallmadge, Ohio

#5 May 13, 2008
Yep. That loss is on Wedge. He can fuss nad fume all he wants, but the real fans know why the game isn't still going.

And super kudos to Cabrera for the triple play!

Something that last happened 99 years ago, and all Wedge can do is dismiss it by focusing on the negativity of a loss?
Old Man Grump

Akron, OH

#6 May 13, 2008
Once again great starting pitching, but the OFFENSE fails to show up,and the lack of a true RELIEF PITCHER results in Bentancourt blowing the 10 inning opportunity.

The Cheap_A$$ Dolans did not spend any money in the offseason to add the needed 3B & LF hitters and a true hard throwing closer. This will be the theme of the Tribe for all of 2008.

The only good news is no one in the Tribe's division is doing anything much better. Here's hoping they sign Barry Bonds.

GO TRIBE !!!
bikerman

United States

#7 May 13, 2008
Our offense is just pathetic. We should be running away with this division. Please Mr. Dolan....sell the team or get off your wallet. You are the tightest owner in history. This team would be selling out the stadium with a Guerero or Griffey. We really don't need fatso. It would be a crime to send Laffey back down when Westbrook comes back.
Finished

Fort Myers, FL

#8 May 13, 2008
Yes Wedge did not hit the ball well enough in game two or get enough hits.

What is it with fans that are so ignorant about baseball they blame the umpire or the manager for every loss?

The triple play was great. But in reality it was a good play, nothing more unless there are 2 men on and their manager is playing small ball and puts the runners in motion. Nobody on base or the runners just stay at their bases and it is a fairly routine catch of a line drive. More about the situation than the play Cabrera made being that special.

Shapiro has very few options available to him to improve the hitting. Primarily he has to sit on his hands and wait for hitters to hit. The only other player you could DFA and then dump is Dellucci and he is one of the few hitters producing a little.

The other players you could move are players with options. Garko, Cabrera and Francisco could be sent to Buffalo. But for whatever reason no one is screaming for Wedge and Shapiro to send Garko and Asbrundal down, when they both probably should be back in AAA until they can hit.

No one in their right mind would do something with Grady, Peralta or Hafner. Victor is our top hitter and Blake our top rbi guy.

So for now you just have to sit on your hands and be happy our pitching is good enough to keep us near the top of the division until we get some hitters to turn it around.
Ron

Mansfield, OH

#9 May 13, 2008
Time for Wedge to go...'It was a triple play. I'm not going to talk about it; we didn't win the game."...you've got to be kidding me. Give the kid his due praise. After all Eric, you'll never see one again in your lifetime as the Tribe's manager, since you will be gone sooner or later...hopefully sooner.
jmacleve

Cleveland, OH

#10 May 13, 2008
Yeah, we lost, but Wedgie was no class on brushing off Cabrera's accomplishment. Turkey.
KBADM11

United States

#11 May 13, 2008
It is hard to determine who is worse Toronto or Cleveland - 19 innings 3 runs a piece. This lineup is atrocious and all the pitching in the world only equates to .500. I especially liked the casey fake for Marte move in the 2nd game, the fake struckout badly - nice move wedge - keep scratching the fake's name in the lineup and you will be in the stands with Grover by July.
Tribe Fan

Cleveland, OH

#12 May 13, 2008
Old Man Grump wrote:
Here's hoping they sign Barry Bonds.
You're a moron. Only morons who know NOTHING about the sport want their team to sign Bonds. Bonds sucks!!!! He's worthless in the Post-Roid era. Loser.
Tribe Fan

Cleveland, OH

#13 May 13, 2008
Finished wrote:
The triple play was great. But in reality it was a good play, nothing more unless there are 2 men on and their manager is playing small ball and puts the runners in motion.
You're another moron. An UNASSISTED TRIPLE PLAY is very rare. Only 14 in history. I highly doubt you could make a double play, so you really should shut up.
Tribe Fan

Cleveland, OH

#14 May 13, 2008
KBADM11 wrote:
keep scratching the fake's name in the lineup and you will be in the stands with Grover by July.
But Grover is still well-liked in this town. Can't say the same for Wedge. Wedge couldn't hold Grover's jock.
KBADM11

United States

#15 May 13, 2008
Tribe Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
But Grover is still well-liked in this town. Can't say the same for Wedge. Wedge couldn't hold Grover's jock.
We finally agree - and bringing Grover back would help this team.
Chad

Cleveland, OH

#16 May 13, 2008
JulioF wrote:
Yep. That loss is on Wedge. He can fuss nad fume all he wants, but the real fans know why the game isn't still going.
And super kudos to Cabrera for the triple play!
Something that last happened 99 years ago, and all Wedge can do is dismiss it by focusing on the negativity of a loss?
Well it is a loss. You ask any athlete that makes a great play or has amazing stats in a loss and they will say they don't care they would have rather won the game. Go ahead and ask 'em!!!
Chad

Cleveland, OH

#17 May 13, 2008
Old Man Grump wrote:
Once again great starting pitching, but the OFFENSE fails to show up,and the lack of a true RELIEF PITCHER results in Bentancourt blowing the 10 inning opportunity.
The Cheap_A$$ Dolans did not spend any money in the offseason to add the needed 3B & LF hitters and a true hard throwing closer. This will be the theme of the Tribe for all of 2008.
The only good news is no one in the Tribe's division is doing anything much better. Here's hoping they sign Barry Bonds.
GO TRIBE !!!
Do you have a secret man crush on Bonds or something. He is the LAST thing this young team needs right now? Why would they bring him in? To show the team how to put yourself first and only worry about your own stats. He is the complete opposite of the athletes I just posted about.

Betancourt never pitches good in a non-save situation when he is the closer. That is Wedge's fault for bringing him in in that situation. Two lefties starting the inning, and he doesn't bring in Perez?????
Jack Mehoffer

Northfield, OH

#18 May 13, 2008
Old Man Grump wrote:
GO TRIBE !!!
As usual, dopey comments with a lack of supporting facts. What free agent third baseman should this tam have signed? WHO? GIVE ME NAMES! I'm not happy with what they have, but there was NO ONE to sign.

So let me get this straight: When Borowski blows a game it's because he stinks, when Betancourt blows another game, it's the manager's fault? Good lord, the hoopleheads just get dumber every day.
Jon

United States

#19 May 13, 2008
That triple play was not some amazing feat of athletic ability. It was the result of Cabrera being in the right place at the right time. I'm not trying to say that it wasn't impressive, but if you watched the game it wasn't as impressive as it sounds in the papers.

I like hearing that Wedge is starting to get mad about the lack of offensive production. Great starting pitching is going to waste because of poor offense, but playing utility players that couldn't latch on to other teams is not going to help. Say what you want about David Dellucci, but all the guy did wrong last year was get hurt. He's had some pretty clutch hits so far this year and I'll take him in the line up over Tyner any day of the week. Also, any time you put Andy Marte in the line up you're pretty much spotting the oposition 4 outs.
Ed Haas

Hudson, OH

#20 May 13, 2008
Just hire Terry Tate to come into the clubhouse, clothesline a few players, get in their face. Outside of few injuries at first, this team would pick it up pretty fast. :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shaun Marcum Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News D-backs looking to play better at home in Game 3 (Oct '11) Oct '11 Kush_Opiates 3
News Gonzalez, Reynolds, Marcum traded; Gillick to Hall (Dec '10) Dec '10 Ed Reasner 1
News A-Rod hurt in batting practice (Aug '10) Aug '10 triple6vamp 1
News Alex Rodriguez hits homer No. 600 in Yankees win (Aug '10) Aug '10 huddle up 8
News Blue Jays pound Minnesota Twins 11-2 (May '10) May '10 Kenneth Gorelick 58
News Blue Jays hold off Boston's 9th-inning charge -... (May '10) May '10 Mac 1
News Crazy eighth: O's rally again (Jun '08) Jun '08 O for the Seventies 21
More from around the web