Beltran, Wright among NL Gold Glove w...

Beltran, Wright among NL Gold Glove winners

There are 8 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Nov 6, 2008, titled Beltran, Wright among NL Gold Glove winners. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The Mets had two National League Gold Glove winners announced yesterday: outfielder Carlos Beltran and third baseman David Wright , both of whom repeated.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

wlaadair

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Nov 6, 2008
Congrats to David and Carlos, well done, thanks to your efforts we won more games than we normally would have if your defense did not prevent as many runs
jimsha

Hauppauge, NY

#2 Nov 6, 2008
I disagree with the above statement as far as wight is concerned. David getting the gold glove, second year in a row as a matter of fact, makes this award,(or more accurately the process), a major, major joke. Your telling me that Wright is the best 3rd baseman in the league. If so then the state of 3 sackers in the N.L. is a sorry one indeed. Any Mets fan who watched their share of games the past two season will tell you that to see a ground ball go in his direction late in a close games with or without runners on would actually hold his breath until the play was over. Think about it, how many bad throws did we see from him that either started the other teams comeback or sustained it. Gold glove? Not as far as i'm concerned. Sure he does make the occasional spectacular play. But when the game is on the line (pressure situations) his fielding is as good as his hitting. Which is not very!
GBear

New York, NY

#3 Nov 6, 2008
jimsha wrote:
I disagree with the above statement as far as wight is concerned. David getting the gold glove, second year in a row as a matter of fact, makes this award,(or more accurately the process), a major, major joke. Your telling me that Wright is the best 3rd baseman in the league. If so then the state of 3 sackers in the N.L. is a sorry one indeed. Any Mets fan who watched their share of games the past two season will tell you that to see a ground ball go in his direction late in a close games with or without runners on would actually hold his breath until the play was over. Think about it, how many bad throws did we see from him that either started the other teams comeback or sustained it. Gold glove? Not as far as i'm concerned. Sure he does make the occasional spectacular play. But when the game is on the line (pressure situations) his fielding is as good as his hitting. Which is not very!
You must be a child of the talk-radio generation or not a Mets fan or just someone who does not understand and appreciate the great game of baseball or some of each.

Let's briefly look at both of your points:
Fielding -.962 Fielding Percentage - Top 5 in MLB for players with over 1400 innings played, Top 7 in MLB for 3B with over 1000 innings played and Top 3 in NL for 3B with over 1000 innings played.
Batting -.302 Avg., 33 HRs, 124 RBIs and 115 Rs.
Now that's only statistical evidence and not the intangibles as David continues to grow into a leader on the team.

Enough said!
Go back to watching SportsCenter for the highlights and the extent of your sports knowledge and while I look forward to watching baseball next season.
jimsha

Bronx, NY

#4 Nov 8, 2008
GBear wrote:
<quoted text>
You must be a child of the talk-radio generation or not a Mets fan or just someone who does not understand and appreciate the great game of baseball or some of each.
Let's briefly look at both of your points:
Fielding -.962 Fielding Percentage - Top 5 in MLB for players with over 1400 innings played, Top 7 in MLB for 3B with over 1000 innings played and Top 3 in NL for 3B with over 1000 innings played.
Batting -.302 Avg., 33 HRs, 124 RBIs and 115 Rs.
Now that's only statistical evidence and not the intangibles as David continues to grow into a leader on the team.
Enough said!
Go back to watching SportsCenter for the highlights and the extent of your sports knowledge and while I look forward to watching baseball next season.
Sorry pal but nowhere in those stats presented do I read #1. Thats my point. I didn't say he was a bad 3rd basemen, any more than do the stats make Jeter the worst SS in th AL. And the above comment about Jeter are what the Stats say. David Wright is not a gold glove calibur 3rd basemen. Nor is he the best.(Pedro Felice?) And by the way, I do not listen to sports talk radio except an occasional Mike Kay show. I watch baseball and observe. As far as I'm concerned you can take overall stats and throw them out the window. Save them for their agents. David wright is an overall good player, no question. His problem, and it is a big one, is that in pressure situations (clutch), whether at the plate or in the field, astute observation, as well as stats, do not lie. He needs a lot of work!

Since: Feb 08

Valrico, FL

#5 Nov 8, 2008
I will repeat this again cause I said it last year. Wright gets the award because he throws to a STATUE named Carlos Delgado at 1st base. Every good fielder needs a good receiver. No infielder in NY has one, Mets or Yanks.
jimsha

Bronx, NY

#6 Nov 9, 2008
RandyinFla wrote:
I will repeat this again cause I said it last year. Wright gets the award because he throws to a STATUE named Carlos Delgado at 1st base. Every good fielder needs a good receiver. No infielder in NY has one, Mets or Yanks.

Absolutely a valid point, I don't think even considering that qualifies him as a gold glove. Many of the throws made though would not have been corraled by keith Hernandez.
Lorne Brown

King Of Prussia, PA

#7 Nov 11, 2008
David Wright's fielding is very good, his throws to 1st base on the other hand are sometimes very erratic. I am not a stats guru but I think Pedro Feliz's overall play fielding& throwing are better.

Since: Feb 08

Valrico, FL

#8 Nov 12, 2008
Jimsha - Keith Hernandez at 1st would have saved the 2008 Mets around 30 errors this year. At least from Wright and Reyes 10 errors combined.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shane Victorino Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Post-Winter Meetings Odds of Winning the Josh H... (Dec '12) Dec '12 espn 1
News 10 Fire-Sale Trades the Philadelphia Phillies C... (Jul '12) Aug '12 LynessaV 7
News Will Charlie Manuel Be Sacrificial Lamb for Phi... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Billy Ringo 2
News Halladay gets 15th win as Phils top Dodgers 5-3 (Aug '11) Aug '11 Marissa 2 2
News S.F. Giants Manager Calls 'Alien' Comment 'Racist' (Aug '11) Aug '11 Ozzie Guillen 3
Giants poor loosers (Aug '11) Aug '11 Rosebud 1
News Victorino's Homer Lifts Phillies Over Brewers (Apr '11) Apr '11 SMPicks 1
More from around the web