Guthrie's effort wasted against Nats

Guthrie's effort wasted against Nats

There are 13 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from May 18, 2008, titled Guthrie's effort wasted against Nats. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Ryan Zimmerman hit an RBI double for the Nationals, who averted a three-game sweep and completed their first winning road trip of at least seven games since last June.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

Bob C

Chevy Chase, MD

#1 May 18, 2008
What is it about this team that every time Jeremy Guthrie pitches they score no runs for him? Gutherie should have more wins than any other pitcher on the team but thanks to his inept team mates he can't buy a win.

Fredericksburg, VA

#2 May 18, 2008
It's time for the O's to sign Barry Bonds
Chuck in Edgewood

West Berlin, NJ

#3 May 18, 2008
Even better, try to find the last time the O's won a game on Sunday.

Washington, DC

#4 May 18, 2008
Bill with all due respect that would be the last thing the orioles should due.Every year there is one pitcher that gets no run support and that pitcher is Gutherie. He certainly deserves better then what he has gotten.On the other hand you just have to give credit to the other pitcher who deserved to win. If the rain didn't come when it did i think things might have worked out differently.

Since: Apr 07

#5 May 18, 2008
When will the hitters ever stop trying to pull every pitch. I thought Trembley talked about in spring training of all the little things they need to do to win games. Using the entire field when you hit is one of them. I don't even see anyone trying to bunt. They have had way too many base running blunders this year already. That alone have cost them many oppurtunities.

Arlington, VA

#6 May 18, 2008
When a decent left-handed pitcher is on his game we are in trouble. We need a big right handed bat behind Nick. Someone of Pat Burrell's ilk would be perfect, he's a free agent also but I am done playing that game, lets set this thing up for 2010 and beyond. Someone mentioned our Sunday efforts, we do seem to be pretty dead on Sunday's, 1-6 with 13 runs scored in 7 games and the 1 win was a miracle finish vs. Seattle.

Altoona, PA

#7 May 18, 2008
It really does suck that Guthrie rarely seems to get any run support, he has done much better than a 2-4 record would indicate.

Ann Arbor, MI

#8 May 18, 2008
Mark Teixiera will be a free agent after this season and I'd throw big bucks to him.

But don't worry, 23-20 is fine. We got our hardest stretch coming up. Let's see if we can continue to beat up on the AL Heavyweights. If I am not mistaken, 4-2 total vs. BOS and NYY this season.

Baltimore, MD

#9 May 18, 2008
First, the Orioles ARE doing well to date and are fun to watch.
Nonetheless, I think Rick Dempsey is on to why the Orioles lose so many day games on Sunday - they don't work out before the game. Perhaps they do need to get out there and warm up a bit.
Also, why is everyone held accountable for statistics such as wins and losses, eras, saves, fielding and batting averages, etc. except for Terry Crowley? Perhaps it is time to take a look at his techniques and see if he still has it. Performance of the Orioles at the plate over the past several years suggests that he might not.

Albuquerque, NM

#10 May 18, 2008
I feel bad for Guthrie. He has given a bunch of good starts this season and his 2-4 record in no way represents his performance. If the O's could have mustered any offense at all they would have won but, as we all knew, this might be a problem at times this season. Great effort however. Im not complaining about a 23-20 record. I hope we smash the Sox and Yanks this week. Go O's

Portsmouth, VA

#11 May 18, 2008
Might I suggest that the Oriloles lack of success on Sundays be due to lack of depth? Most teams start 3-4 guys on the day game after a night game, and the Orioles, obviously do not have the have the second horses to continue streaks and such!
Maui Guy

Arcadia, CA

#12 May 18, 2008
Jeremy Guthrie is really the reincarnation of former O's pitcher Billy 'O Dell from the 50's. O Dell was brilliant, and lost because the team couldn't score behind him.

Every generation has this guy. The guy who can pitch his ass off but who somehow brings the team down, through no fault of his own.

Why? The Greeks knew. DESTINY or FATE. Can such things be changed? Maybe. Guthrie and 'O Dell are Achilles. Their weak spot isn't their heel but their team. Or is it possible that the kind of talent they have , their very esscence, makes the team play less well, even though they are terrific players.

I am too dull to know the answers to such questions, but it does seem some players are the proof of the idea of FATE, and some teams as well...take the old Brooklyn Dodgers, who no matter what they did every year in the Nat League, would always lose to the Yankees in the Series.

(Except once, when Johnny Podres defeated CRUEL FATE through youthful talent and sheer arrogance. He was too young and brilliant to know he had to lose)...

Perhaps, the younger the O's get, the more chance they will have to defeat Fate and also change their LOSER DESTINY.

Maybe even seemingly doomed Guthrie can re-align his stars and empower the team to win.

Or maybe his is a kind of talent that is TRULY DOOMED. Like 'O Dell and Achilles.

In modern movie star terms think Montgomery Clift or James Dean versus terrible but long lasting hacks like John Wayne, the fake army hero, who never even served. Only CRUEL FATE could have made him so much more successful when they were so much more talented.

Or think TRULY DOOMED HEROES like beaned and ruined Tony Conigliaro of the Sox, or Herb Score of the Indians. Genius players cut down by FATE, in ways that no one but a true soothsayer like the amazing Jim Hunter could foresee.

Fate ,as they used to say in horror stories, works in mysterious ways, and not always to our benefit.

Thus the term we must all live with and heed: Carpe Diem...LIVE FOR TODAY.

For you may be doomedand have nothing else.

“Orioles, Colts, Bullets ”

Since: Apr 08

Brewster, NY

#13 May 18, 2008
Let's get those Yanks on Tuesday. I'll be there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ryan Zimmerman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scherzer excels, Zimmerman debuts as Nats tie C... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Fart news 1
News Issues develop in loss to Atlanta (Apr '14) Apr '14 Teezzyy 1
News Gee, strange play send Mets over Nationals 5-1 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom2Tone 1
News New York Mets: What Recent Slide Means for Davi... (Jul '12) Jul '12 XFlushing Fan 1
News Washington Nationals call up Bryce Harper from ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Ryan Zimmerman Ready To Return (Jun '11) Jun '11 Baseball fan 1
News Nationals should feel buyer's remorse with Werth (May '11) May '11 The Great Responder 1
More from around the web