Just by Pursuing Teixeira, Nats Are M...

Just by Pursuing Teixeira, Nats Are Making a Move

There are 2 comments on the The Washington Post story from Dec 21, 2008, titled Just by Pursuing Teixeira, Nats Are Making a Move. In it, The Washington Post reports that:

By approving one contract offer earlier this month -- a $160 million proposal to free agent Mark Teixeira -- Washington Nationals principal owner Ted Lerner invalidated the longest-standing concern people had ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Washington Post.

Miami

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#1 Dec 21, 2008
I really wonder how much of the Tex persuit is mearly PR..Let's face it $160kk was never going to get him to Washington - so they had little risk of him accepting their offer. If Washington ups it to $200 over 9-10 yrs.- then I'm a beleiver !!!
Eric

Washington, DC

#2 Dec 24, 2008
For the Post article to suggest Ted Lerner's "pursit" of Teixeira invalidated concerns fans have about their ownership is difficult to fathom.

Factually, what we have is another failed attempt at acquiring real talent. They let Soriano walk away, the pursuit of Teixeira did not succeed, why would fans not continue to have ocncerns? For a family that made its money in real estate, they do not seem very adept at contract negotiation.

At least two allowable inferences from this experience seem to have emerged:(1) Unlike the Yankees, a Nationals' "pursuit" has its limits; and (2) A gifted player has no interest being the sole talent in DC.

If ownership is serious about being a contender, unfortunately, free-agency is the avenue to success. If the Lerners have no interest in spending what it takes to get people here, I am hopeful they will consider selling the team to someone who is.

The novelty, and gratitude for bringing baseball back to DC, have worn off. Fan support will be commensurate with that of owner commitment. Another season with no true talent will simply result in further erosion of this area's tolerance.

Spend to actually secure contracts and bring quality players to this team or go back to real estate ventures, PLEASE.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ryan Zimmerman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Scherzer excels, Zimmerman debuts as Nats tie C... (Mar '16) Mar '16 Fart news 1
News Issues develop in loss to Atlanta (Apr '14) Apr '14 Teezzyy 1
News Gee, strange play send Mets over Nationals 5-1 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom2Tone 1
News New York Mets: What Recent Slide Means for Davi... (Jul '12) Jul '12 XFlushing Fan 1
News Washington Nationals call up Bryce Harper from ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Ryan Zimmerman Ready To Return (Jun '11) Jun '11 Baseball fan 1
News Nationals should feel buyer's remorse with Werth (May '11) May '11 The Great Responder 1
More from around the web