Ohio.com - Indians beat Mariners 12-4...

Ohio.com - Indians beat Mariners 12-4, then waste 9th-inning le...

There are 19 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Sep 27, 2007, titled Ohio.com - Indians beat Mariners 12-4, then waste 9th-inning le.... In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The Cleveland Indians finally finished off their prolonged, snowed-out series from April that took nearly six months to complete.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

Waiting since 1948

Canton, OH

#1 Sep 27, 2007
Borowski SCARES me just like SENOR SMOKE did in the WORLD SERIES against the Marlins. We can't afford to sit on the edge of our seats while he decides if he is "going to experience everything" again. We need a closer like Rivera to get us a Series Crown.

Agree
Tribe Fan

Cleveland, OH

#2 Sep 27, 2007
Granted he has blown 2 consecutive saves, Wedge is not going to make drastic changes in the last week of the season. The set-up has worked for the most part of the season. Now, if JoBo blows a save in the playoffs, then Wedge might consider doing something else. Let's just hope JoBo is getting this out of his system NOW LOL.
Jack Hill

Lady Lake, FL

#3 Sep 27, 2007
Wedge knows, but can't publically admit, that Borowski is not the answer as a closer. He can't be allowed in the playoffs to try to protect a one run lead since he gives up an average of one run per inning. Playoff teams will exploit this glaring weakness in the Tribe's bullpen. Its too late to change anything now but this huge problem must be addressed for next year.
Just the facts maam

Lakewood, OH

#4 Sep 27, 2007
Those idiotic words: "Get it out of the way now"...like it's something Joe can control??? That type of postgame remark means nothing.

The fact remains, Joe has had an extremely LUCKY season in compiling 43 "saves." Count how many times he entered with a 3-run lead, and left with a 1-run lead. He would not be "closing" for ANY other contender. Frankly, he is awwwful. Seriously, almost any other reliever on this team could do the same job that JoBo did. He has trashed 16% of his save opportunities, and has looked horrible in so many, many other games.

BOROWSKI CANNOT BE RE-SIGNED. IF SHAPIRO GOES TO THIS "WELL" ONE MORE TIME, HE WILL BE BURNED AGAIN, JUST AS HE HAS WITH SO MANY OTHER FREE AGENTS. The money can be better spent elsewhere. Either Betancourt or Perez can close, with Lewis, Santos & other in-system guys taking over the 6th thru 8th innings, if needed. We do not need the morale-killing JoBo costing us games in the regular season and leaving us holding-our-breath in the playoffs. That's just ridiculous.
mrtc126

New York, NY

#5 Sep 27, 2007
2 OF THE SCARIEST WORDS FOR THE TRIBE IN THE
UPCOMING PLAYOFFS- BOROWSKI AND PERALTA !!!!!
Teddy

Broadview Heights, OH

#6 Sep 27, 2007
Charles Nagy used to scare me. I never thought he was more than an adequate pitcher at best. Heck, I thought he needed an "opener" as he always seemed to have problems in the 1st inning.

BUT he always compiled a good win loss record and now he is in the Indians hall of fame. Yet Win loss means nothing for a starter when compared to ERA.

Number of saves means everything for a closer. JoBo has 43 saves leave him alone.
Teddy

Broadview Heights, OH

#7 Sep 27, 2007
I want to know if Hafner is the next Cory Snyder WITHOUT the great arm.

Pitchers adjusted to Snyder. Did they do the same to Hafner?

I hope not
a fn k

Whitehall, MT

#8 Sep 27, 2007
jobo may not be much better than wickman was but look at the options the team had in the offseason. where's b.j. ryan and our old buddy baez? hurt, that's where. shapiro got the best man for the job. jose mesa is an idiot. just ask omar. joe is no mesa and if it comes down to the bottom of the 9th in game 7 of the w.s. joe might lose but it won't be because of the vacant look in his eyes.
Tribe Fan

Cleveland, OH

#9 Sep 27, 2007
Just the facts maam wrote:
Those idiotic words: "Get it out of the way now"...like it's something Joe can control???
Dude, are you retarded? Did you NOT notice the "LOL" after that comment. Drink some warm milk and calm the f--k down.
Tribe Fan

Cleveland, OH

#10 Sep 27, 2007
Some also need to be reminded that it was EXTREMELY slim pickings for pitching in the off-season last year. Alot of teams, like the Tribe, were in need of decent pitching and there was not alot of available pitchers out there. The ones that were out there overpriced themselves and many teams refused to overpay "just because" of that. And rightfully so.
Ray Russell

Virginia Beach, VA

#11 Sep 27, 2007
I know deep down Wedgie is wondering what in the hell he can do with the closer situation. In the playoffs you can't afford to let a pitcher blow a couple of saves before you do anything. Yes, the infield can be sketchy at times, but every playoff teams have some defensive weaknesses. Me, I would have had Bettancourt closing a long time ago using Borowski as set up. Beyond that, in Borowski's first blown save against Seattle, Wedge brought in Jo Bo in the 9th to face Ibanez.
I would have let Perez (he pitched the 8th), pitch to Ibanez (lefty against lefty), and then maybe bring in Jo Bo. Incidentally, Ibanez got a hit that set up the two run homer to tie the game. Managers do this all the time with set up pitchers. Why not use the same approach when entering the 9th. Just a thought!
Personality Kid

Canton, OH

#12 Sep 27, 2007
mrtc126 wrote:
2 OF THE SCARIEST WORDS FOR THE TRIBE IN THE
UPCOMING PLAYOFFS- BOROWSKI AND PERALTA !!!!!
Amen and ditto, ditto, ditto!!!
chiflado13

Henderson, NV

#13 Sep 27, 2007
Betancourt's the man for the job. He's cool, deliberate, and he throws fire---consistently. But like TRIBE FAN says, Wedge ain't making no changes with a week to go. Suck it up.
Tragedy of the Tribe

Akron, OH

#14 Sep 27, 2007
Everyone turns it up a notch in the playoffs. JoeBo is an old pro. He ain't the best, but he's been getting it done and while he isn't your prototypical "lights out" closer he gets it done more often than not. I think he'll rise to the occasion but I don't really see the Indians winning the World Series this year anyway. They've got success to build on and maybe a combination of atmosphere, camaraderie, and potential to lure CC to re-sign.
Heck, the Indians look a lot better than the #^%$@&!!! Browns!
Old Man Grump

Canton, OH

#15 Sep 27, 2007
SHUT UP about Borowski. He got us into the playoffs didn't he? He leads the AL in saves too. He ain't that bad folks.

He was the best that cheap A$$'s Dolan / Shapiro were willing to pay for a reliever. Even Jose Mesa the best Tribe reliever ever failed us in 1997 World Series.

GO TRIBE !!!!
Winter Haven Maven

Lakeland, FL

#16 Sep 27, 2007
Just checking the stat sheet:

Borowski: converted 43 of 51 = 84.3%

Betancourt: converted 3 of 6

Perez: converted 1 of 2

Fultz and Hernandez (he's still available): each 0 of 1

I think I, like Wedge, will go with the percentages
tomaso

Le Mans, France

#17 Sep 27, 2007
Teddy wrote:
I want to know if Hafner is the next Cory Snyder WITHOUT the great arm.
Pitchers adjusted to Snyder. Did they do the same to Hafner?
I hope not
I wondered if someone had the courage to say that. Hopefully he'll pick it up in the playoffs.
TiredFan

United States

#18 Sep 27, 2007
If that was the guy's first home run, imagine what the Yankees and Manny/ortiz will do to Borowski....

But this is the team we have to get behind, just can't invest all of our faith in.

It should be interesting. Especially if our pitching holds up.

Since: Aug 07

Jackson Twp.

#19 Sep 27, 2007
Joe B's new nickname:

JoBLOW

Like it?

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rob Johnson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Angels offer no support to Santana (Jul '10) Jul '10 isel 1
News Fan On Phone Beaned By Baseball (Jul '10) Jul '10 Old Sam 4
News Mariners Fan: Griffey asleep,Larue a creep... (May '10) May '10 Baseball 2
News Outlaws Notebook: DeHaan uses Tijuana break for... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Russell Saito 3
More from around the web