Twins knuckle under in 12-inning loss to Rangers

There are 17 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 19, 2009, titled Twins knuckle under in 12-inning loss to Rangers. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The choice was improbable, and minutes after R.A. Dickey threw a fastball to Ian Kinsler rather than his signature knuckleball, the right-hander knew his mistake.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Joe

International Falls, MN

#1 Jul 20, 2009
I would be more concerned about the hitting of 3-6 who haven't done squatt lately. Mauer has gone down hill so fast since the HR Derby he looks like he is in free fall in a downward spiral. It appears he is trying to pull everything. Bring Morales back up and give him some time off for a couple of games or so. Morneau and Cuddyer keep swinging at bad pitches that are not even close. Whats up with these guys? They are not bad hitters just bad selection of what to swing at. Somebody better get on these three hitters before they all go into free fall. Just an observation that is reality and could get worse. Pitching has been acceptable and defense outstanding. Go Twins!!!!
Franklin Adams

Fargo, ND

#2 Jul 20, 2009
Joe wrote:
I would be more concerned about the hitting of 3-6 who haven't done squatt lately. Mauer has gone down hill so fast since the HR Derby he looks like he is in free fall in a downward spiral. It appears he is trying to pull everything. Bring Morales back up and give him some time off for a couple of games or so. Morneau and Cuddyer keep swinging at bad pitches that are not even close. Whats up with these guys? They are not bad hitters just bad selection of what to swing at. Somebody better get on these three hitters before they all go into free fall. Just an observation that is reality and could get worse. Pitching has been acceptable and defense outstanding. Go Twins!!!!
Slumps happen to all players at one time or another. Just has to go its course.
okforyou

Statesville, NC

#3 Jul 20, 2009
Left handed pitchers are the Twins Achilles heel..they will face 2 L handers in the California series..I'm not sure why Morales isn't DHing or something. Twins just don't have the killer instinct. Gardy always complains about things after the fact, doesn't he have any input or control when its happening?
Come ON

West Salem, WI

#4 Jul 20, 2009
Who told DICKEY to throw he fastball! It wasn't my wife!
scotwil

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#5 Jul 20, 2009
A gerbil, had it watched the 6th inning, would have known not to send Liriano out for the 7th.
ronald mcdonald

Huntington Beach, CA

#6 Jul 20, 2009
why on earth did Liriano even come out of the dugout in the 7th? horrible decision #1, obviously, and #2, why pinch hit for Nick Punto when the guy is 3 for 4 ont he night, and then clearly #3 was the fastball. 3 horrible decisions = a loss that should not have happened. These Twins are really looking lousy.
Arrogant American

Duluth, MN

#7 Jul 20, 2009
It's nice to see Young and Punto hit the ball. It's too bad they were the only ones. Mauer has one single in his last 22 at-bats. By comparison, Young has nine hits in his last 22 at-bats. Punto has reached base 32 times in his last 24 games.
Mad Dog Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jul 20, 2009
Three weeks ago the question was: "Can Mauer hit .400?"......now the question is: "Can Mauer hit .300?"

How many personal records can he get in July? 1. First time with 4 K's in a game. 2. First time 0 - 6 in a game. 3. Largest mid-season drop of a batting average. 4. Most left on base by batter in a 3 week period.

Remember, Mauer hit only .276 on real grass in 2008, and .259 in 2007. What's going to happen next year when the Twins are outside?

This is looking more like a disaster than a slump!
Elvis Presley

San Francisco, CA

#9 Jul 20, 2009
nice job putting in that terrible knuckleballer GARDY!
Monk

Andover, MN

#10 Jul 20, 2009
The Twins have turned things around on the road, 2 out of 3 from Texas. Last night's game was a nail-biter, what more can you ask for as a fan. There is no perfection in baseball.
Erica

Waukesha, WI

#11 Jul 20, 2009
That was a team loss. When you get to the twelfth inning, SOMEONE's going to give up a run. Dickey's been pretty reliable this year, so I'm not going to get bent out of shape.

2 outta 3 in Texas is pretty good. The Bronx Bombers swept the Tigers and the Twins kept pace with the White Sox- all in all, a nice way to start the second half.
scotwil

Santa Rosa Beach, FL

#12 Jul 20, 2009
Monk wrote:
The Twins have turned things around on the road, 2 out of 3 from Texas. Last night's game was a nail-biter, what more can you ask for as a fan. There is no perfection in baseball.
I can ask Gardy not to send Liriano out in the 7th. Expanded to a general proposition, I can ask Gardy not to make inexplicable, dumb choices which result in wholly predictable and avoidable losses. Watching him make such choices is less than entertaining, and this whole enterprise is supposed to be an entertainment.
ronald mcdonald

Huntington Beach, CA

#13 Jul 20, 2009
agreed, Gardy is a moron and should be fired.
Henry

Faribault, MN

#14 Jul 20, 2009
It's too bad the Twins couldn't have pulled off a 3 game sweep in texas, but I'm sure they'll start another winning string tonight.
However, the main thing I want to know is:
When are those 3 characters from MSN North coming back from the Dells? Haven't they been there about a month now?
Hammond WI Twins Fan

Hartford, CT

#15 Jul 20, 2009
Aside from the Yankees sweep the Twins have won 11 out of the past 13 series including a number of them on the road. Also, hitters 3-6 were carrying this team a few weeks ago. Now with Mauer, Morneau, and Cuddy slumping a little, the rest of the team is starting to pick up the slack. I like our chances....
Monk

Andover, MN

#16 Jul 20, 2009
scotwil wrote:
<quoted text>
I can ask Gardy not to send Liriano out in the 7th. Expanded to a general proposition, I can ask Gardy not to make inexplicable, dumb choices which result in wholly predictable and avoidable losses. Watching him make such choices is less than entertaining, and this whole enterprise is supposed to be an entertainment.
If it causes you so much pain, don't watch the games.
Entertainment or not, they won't win them all.
Second guessing Gardy is part of the game. Everytime Cuddyer strikes out in a big at bat, I give him hell.
Delmon Young is an over-rated bum. Trade him now.
But I don't lose any sleep over it, tomorrow is another day. 2 out of 3 in Texas is a good days' work, IMO.

Since: Mar 09

Jacksonville, FL

#17 Jul 20, 2009
This game is a good example of why I think this team probably won't make the playoffs. It seems that everytime they have a chance to put some pressure on the division leaders by closing the gap in the division lead, they lose a painful one and fall back.

They just can't seem to get over the hump that is required of teams to make the playoffs. Again the saving grace is that they play in a weak division and they will probably still be the race even in September.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

R.A. Dickey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cy Young winner Dickey, Mets still negotiating (Dec '12) Feb '13 flbadcatowner 5
News National writer: Rangers 'logical fit' for Cy Y... (Dec '12) Dec '12 montanajoe 2
News Why R.A. Dickey Matters (Nov '12) Nov '12 XFlushing Fan 1
News Twins starting to have faith in reliever R.A. D... (Mar '09) Mar '09 water boy 4
More from around the web