Cubs pitcher Rich Harden opts not to pitch in World Baseball Cl...

Full story: Chicago Tribune

It comes as no huge surprise that Cubs pitcher Rich Harden has eliminated himself from Canada's roster for the World Baseball Classic, which runs concurrent with spring training .

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of80
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
ACW

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

There is absolutely no reason Harden or Zambrano should participate in this awful event. Not worth it.
Lone Ranger

Peru, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2009

MIKE STANTON?!!!!! Maybe he has some arm left, Hendry has never been a fool with money.
Rusty Baker

Orland Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

WHY BOTHER SIGNING CHAD FOX... THE GUY'S ARM IS ABOUT TO FALL OFF. ONE PITCH AND HIS ENTIRE ELBOW WILL COME FLYING AT THE BATTER. WHATS THE POINT IN THIS HAS BEEN?
Turner

Notre Dame, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Does Chad Fox have compromising pictures of Hendry or something? Why does this guy keep getting invited back? I can almost hear the money burning.
Frasier Crane

Kraków, Poland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Chad Fox. What is the point? this bargin basement hunting of Hendry's needs to stop. They're not all Ryan Dempsters
Frasier Crane

Kraków, Poland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Turner wrote:
Does Chad Fox have compromising pictures of Hendry or something? Why does this guy keep getting invited back? I can almost hear the money burning.
right on!
John

Ixtapaluca, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

If the Cubs were to trade their entire team with another team, let's say the Yankees, they'd still never win the series! So sad!
CaptainObvious

Des Plaines, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

No player on a team with a shot at a pennant should play in Bud Selig's ridiculous World Baseball Classic. It's that simple. The first major injury to a star ought to put an end to this folly. Of course, the only way Selig would end it is if a Sox player got hurt and Bud's puppet master Jerry Reinsdorf told him to.
Joe

Morton Grove, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

John wrote:
If the Cubs were to trade their entire team with another team, let's say the Yankees, they'd still never win the series! So sad!
*Clap clap clap* Way to go John for saying anything relevant to this post!
Recon Mike

Marengo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Whatever happened to love of the game? Do these pansies just hide out in the clubhouse until their agents get their incentive clauses? Pride is obviously lacking. The city of Walter Payton, Michael Jordan, Ernie Banks, Nellie Fox, and Stan Mikita is no longer represented by gamers.
Don G

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

I hate to harp on it..but the Cubbies will never contend for the World Series as long as they don't take Soriano out of lead-off and place him in 4 or 5 spot where a non-contact free swinger should be. Lou is intimidated by him
Tony

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

They signed Chad Fox to spend some time on the DL apparently...
Ernie B

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

The Cubs will be fine in '09.
Now Wait a Minute

South Holland, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Nothing about their quality as human beings, but as baseball players- all the names listed in the article- garbage.
Stop paying all of these guys so much money. You've ruined the game. You coddle guys who would be working behind the counter at mini marts otherwise.
Rich Harden- Mini Prior.
Stupid, stupid, stupid.
The Cubs organization has run me out of caring anymore.
Recon Mike

Marengo, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Don G wrote:
I hate to harp on it..but the Cubbies will never contend for the World Series as long as they don't take Soriano out of lead-off and place him in 4 or 5 spot where a non-contact free swinger should be. Lou is intimidated by him
If Lou is intimidated by Soriano, so was Joe Torre and some other top managers.
If a guy makes the All-Star team with four different teams as a leadoff man, maybe he should be a leadoff man.
The leadoff hitter gets almost 100 more ABs than someone hitting in the middle of the order. Why waste these ABs on low OPS hitters like Theriot or Reed Johnson?
The days of playing for single run innings on an everyday basis are as dead as complete game pitching.
Doug

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Chad Fox will not make the team people. Every team always brings in players that have next to no chance to make the big league club. They use them to help push the regulars and maybe teach a thing or two to the younger players, or if nothing else eat a few innings early on in spring training so the starters don't have to throw 6 or 7 innings right away. Trust me, if Chad Fox is on the opening day roster then half the bullpen must have got hurt during spring training.
Nada Surf

Buckeye, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Ernie B wrote:
The Cubs will be fine in '09.
Cubs play like swine in 2009.
ty welke

Poway, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Maybe Rothchild was not out of line in mentioning lingering issues in harden's shoulder. The Cubs love to hide injuries, but perhaps he was told he needed to be in Mesa and under the constant care of Cub medical personnel and trainers. Let's hope that is the case as we need this guy !!
ty welke

Poway, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Doug, I might agree with you except they brought this guy back up last year when they thought he was sufficiently healed. He must have a special pitch or something. LP likes vets, but this is getting ridiculous!

Besides, with all the spare change they are showering on these "has beens" they could have already given Blanco another millionor at least matched his 2008 salary. Why have they seemingly gone so left-handed crazy. Are they trying to convert Obama to a Cub fan?
Puba

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2009

Nada Surf wrote:
<quoted text>Cubs play like swine in 2009.
It's clever because it rhymes!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of80
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Mike Stanton Discussions

Search the Mike Stanton Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Miami Vice: 5 Reasons Ozzie Guillen Will Fail w... (Dec '11) Jan '12 Lets Play Ball 3
Inbox: Who should win NL Rookie of Year? (Sep '10) Sep '10 BionicBippy 1
Blasts from past on spring training rosters (Feb '09) Feb '09 Jack 2
Have the Reds Done Enough to Fill the Seats? (Jan '08) Jan '08 Zoey73 1
This Time, Dunn Believes Trade Rumors (Jun '07) Jul '07 triple6vamp 4
Mets edge Reds for Glavine's 298th victory (Jul '07) Jul '07 seaver the red sox 1
Patience appears overrated for Mets' hitters (Jul '07) Jul '07 Rickey Henderson 2
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••
•••