Mets let lowly Atlanta come back, Cub...

Mets let lowly Atlanta come back, Cubs up next

There are 34 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 22, 2008, titled Mets let lowly Atlanta come back, Cubs up next. In it, Newsday reports that:

With the Cubs visiting Shea Stadium this week, the Mets can only hope that the newly crowned National League Central champs are more interested in being tourists than spoilers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MIKE NJ

Hartsdale, NY

#22 Sep 22, 2008
Crest wrote:
<quoted text>
They respond to the posts, which only encourages them to keep posting.
As for the Mets, they can forget about catching the Phils, who will go no worse than 5-1 against Braves and Nats at home. The Brewers could also sweep the Pirates at home, so a repeat of last year's collapse is a definite possiblity.
Hey, wouldn't it have been nice to still have Gavin Floyd, who seems to have hit his stride this year with the ChiSox? He would've given them a top four of Hamels, Myers, Floyd and Moyer. Not a bad playoff rotation.
Nah, Floyd would have never done it in Philly, kind of like Heilman will never do it in NY. At some point you need to cut bait and get what you can, although we should have gotten more than an injured Freddy Garcia and we also gave up a top prospect now in the majors in Gio Gonzalez (now with Oakland). My playoff rotation for the Phils if i had my choice would have been Hamels, Myers, Moyer, Carrasco. WHy they sent him back to Venezuela is amazing to me. He could have been amazing down the stretch so it wouldnt' have been so close with the Mets. he was destroying AAA when their season eneded and was similar in sample size to Niese and had much better stats. He'll be in the 2009 rotation. It'll be interesting to me to see who the 4th pitcher is, Blanton or Happ. Much will depend on how they each finish. I think for the first round though they'll likely go with 3 starters (assuming we get to the playoffs!)
O T Bushmaster

Schenectady, NY

#23 Sep 22, 2008
Jerry Manual should have learned long ago that he can not load the bases to get a favorable match-up for Aaron Heilman. There is no favorable match-up for Aaron Heilman. Heilman's future is probably going to be moping-up for a small market, out of the running team. He is just doesn't have what it takes to pitch in New York. If the Mets somehow do back into the play-offs, Heilman should be left off the post season roster.
Lou

Stone Mountain, GA

#24 Sep 22, 2008
O T Bushmaster wrote:
Jerry Manual should have learned long ago that he can not load the bases to get a favorable match-up for Aaron Heilman. There is no favorable match-up for Aaron Heilman. Heilman's future is probably going to be moping-up for a small market, out of the running team. He is just doesn't have what it takes to pitch in New York. If the Mets somehow do back into the play-offs, Heilman should be left off the post season roster.
Heck if you left off the players that should not be on the post season roster, you may only have 15 players. Pedro and Castillo come to mind and of course take your pick of the bullpen. if we make the playoffs this will be like the Knicks against the Lakers and you know who the Knicks are.(hint: both of these teams call NY home).
Lou

Stone Mountain, GA

#25 Sep 22, 2008
In Sunday's game, did you notice how relaxed Bobby Cox was in the dugout. The Braves weren't concerned one bit, they knew their season was about over and all they had to do was hang around until Pelfrey left the game and batting practice started! they weren't disappointed!
Bballfan

Greenlawn, NY

#26 Sep 22, 2008
Jack The Cabbie wrote:
I won't respond any longer to the Met haters out there. They have no life. However, The Mets can and will get into the playoffs. The pitching staff must get their act together. And I also agree to let the starters go as long as they can. That bullpen is just horrendous.
Looks like a lot of people agree with you, normally there is more than 50 posts by this time of day.
7 Minute Abs

Freehold, NJ

#27 Sep 22, 2008
The Legendary Yankees wrote:
<quoted text>And if it wasn't for Delgados lucky game, we'd have them in head to head, too.
The Yankees have been the best team in baseball every year for the last 14 years. If it wasn't for injuries and stuff, it'd be 14 straight.
I am a baseball fan who roots for both New York teams,so I have no interest in either side of this nonsense, but let me ask you a question: do you play for the Yankees? Have you had any big hits or pitched any big games for them of late? it seems to me that your whole sense of self-worth is wrapped up in the success of one baseball team and the failure of another. Do you (and others like you) have so little in your life that you need to define yourself by the number of games and championships a team of players (who have nothing to do with you and whose fate you have no hand in deciding) have amassed over the years? I HOPE you are very young, because if you are over 30, you are a sad, pathetic excuse for a human being. Just enjoy the games for what they are and take a deep breath. Look around..there are many, many more serious and upsetting problems in the world than the day-to-day fortunes of a bunch of overpaid, self-absorbed athletes.
metschoke 06 07 08

AOL

#28 Sep 22, 2008
It is really great that the Yankees are keeping the Stadium named YANKEE STADIUM.
Not like the second class,second rate team from FLUSHING that sold out their beloved Shea Stadium to now be called Ch*tty Bank Field.
I guess they don't care about their tradition. Probably because the NY MESS don't really have a tradition. Unless you call a lifetime losing record and one World Series win in the last 38 years a tradition.
Or is having the worst single season record or the worst single season choke ever constitute a tradition?
I guess being the highest paid team in baseball without results is something to be proud of ?(other teams have high payrolls but they win)
Well, I guess when CH*TTYBank goes under, and is taken over by Purina, the new stadium will be the PURINA TENDER VITTLES FIELD .Home of the NY M UTS !!!!
BBBBBBwwwwwwaaaaahahahahahahah a
Stedman

United States

#29 Sep 22, 2008
The Cubs need to let the Mets win the Wildcard so they can face them in the first round of the playoffs. That way the Cubs will have an easy path to the next round, the Cubs do not want to face the Brewers or the Phillies in round one.
Bballfan

Greenlawn, NY

#30 Sep 22, 2008
7 Minute Abs wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a baseball fan who roots for both New York teams,so I have no interest in either side of this nonsense, but let me ask you a question: do you play for the Yankees? Have you had any big hits or pitched any big games for them of late? it seems to me that your whole sense of self-worth is wrapped up in the success of one baseball team and the failure of another. Do you (and others like you) have so little in your life that you need to define yourself by the number of games and championships a team of players (who have nothing to do with you and whose fate you have no hand in deciding) have amassed over the years? I HOPE you are very young, because if you are over 30, you are a sad, pathetic excuse for a human being. Just enjoy the games for what they are and take a deep breath. Look around..there are many, many more serious and upsetting problems in the world than the day-to-day fortunes of a bunch of overpaid, self-absorbed athletes.
GREAT Post Thank You
Jack The Cabbie

New York, NY

#31 Sep 22, 2008
7 Minute Abs wrote:
<quoted text>
Bravo!
Will this stop all the stupid posts..probably not, but if you read my entry a while ago, I won't answer those Met haters who have nothing else better to do. Just watch the games for better or worse.
metschoke 06 07 08

AOL

#32 Sep 22, 2008
The MU TS have one more win than the Yankees yet they are in contention in the weak NL.If the NY MEES played in a real division... they would be in 3rd place with that record... that given they didnt amass their record in the tougher American League.
voice of truth

Miami, FL

#33 Sep 22, 2008
metschoke 06 07 08 wrote:
The MU TS have one more win than the Yankees yet they are in contention in the weak NL.If the NY MEES played in a real division... they would be in 3rd place with that record... that given they didnt amass their record in the tougher American League.
It must suck looking up at a team with a 43 million dollar payroll.
voice of truth

Miami, FL

#34 Sep 22, 2008
metschoke 06 07 08 wrote:
It is really great that the Yankees are keeping the Stadium named YANKEE STADIUM.
Not like the second class,second rate team from FLUSHING that sold out their beloved Shea Stadium to now be called Ch*tty Bank Field.
I guess they don't care about their tradition. Probably because the NY MESS don't really have a tradition. Unless you call a lifetime losing record and one World Series win in the last 38 years a tradition.
Or is having the worst single season record or the worst single season choke ever constitute a tradition?
I guess being the highest paid team in baseball without results is something to be proud of ?(other teams have high payrolls but they win)
Well, I guess when CH*TTYBank goes under, and is taken over by Purina, the new stadium will be the PURINA TENDER VITTLES FIELD .Home of the NY M UTS !!!!
BBBBBBwwwwwwaaaaahahahahahahah a
After spending over 1 billion dollars on players since 2000 and no championships. The Yankees will eventually need to borrow money from Citi Bank if these overpaid bufoons keep underacheiving.
Jerry Grote

Boxborough, MA

#35 Sep 26, 2008
Crest wrote:
<quoted text>
They respond to the posts, which only encourages them to keep posting.
As for the Mets, they can forget about catching the Phils, who will go no worse than 5-1 against Braves and Nats at home. The Brewers could also sweep the Pirates at home, so a repeat of last year's collapse is a definite possiblity.
Hey, wouldn't it have been nice to still have Gavin Floyd, who seems to have hit his stride this year with the ChiSox? He would've given them a top four of Hamels, Myers, Floyd and Moyer. Not a bad playoff rotation.
So far your prediction is a little off. The Phillies lost 2 of 3 to the Braves.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Mike Gonzalez Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Philadelphia Phillies storyline: The missing piece (Jan '13) Jan '13 Chad Hughes 1
News Mets' Sheffield hits tying homer, makes last out (May '09) May '09 nostephanfan 1
News Backup catcher's sacrifice fly drives home winn... (Sep '08) Sep '08 CubSucK 11
News 6/28 Braves vs. Blue Jays Game Thread (Jul '08) Jul '08 braves fan 1
News Braves reliever Mike Gonzalez aims for May retu... (Mar '08) Mar '08 christopher 2
News Braves 2008 Bullpen (Oct '07) Oct '07 Sue Duran 1
News east (Feb '07) Jun '07 Schrenker 3
More from around the web