Loewen takes swing at being a hitter

Full story: Baltimore Sun

"It's weird, but I think the challenging part is going to be when I face live pitching and that's going to be a strain for me," said Loewen, who hasn't hit regularly since playing junior college ball in 2002.
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated Sep 10, 2008
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 08

Ruffs Dale, PA

#1 Sep 9, 2008
I don't care where the O's put Ramon Hernandez am tried of seeing him catch.They O's can even trade him to Japan ....I don't care !
KyleProBoller7

United States

#2 Sep 9, 2008
Ramon will be the highest paid backup catcher in the league next year. I don't want him in the lineup unless we are able to deal Huff this off-season.
Ghost Results

Middletown, DE

#3 Sep 9, 2008
If it doesn't work out pretending to be a hitter, maybe Adam Loewen can pretend to be a General Manager.

Since the results don't matter, why not?
Ghost Results

Middletown, DE

#4 Sep 9, 2008
Here's what you want to hear from a professional (all in this story):

"I think the challenging part is going to be when I face live pitching and that's going to be a strain for me," said Loewen"

"But I'm not expecting anything significant."

"I know I'm not going to be that great."

Confidence is sexy, Adam.
Dolf

United States

#5 Sep 9, 2008
Question is, how long will he ride the buses in the bushes?
September Swoon

Reston, VA

#6 Sep 9, 2008
Ghost Results wrote:
Here's what you want to hear from a professional (all in this story):
"I think the challenging part is going to be when I face live pitching and that's going to be a strain for me," said Loewen"
"But I'm not expecting anything significant."
"I know I'm not going to be that great."
Confidence is sexy, Adam.
As USUAL you take things out of context. He preceded these comments with "from the start".

Since you seem to have no compassion for his situation, I hope something happens that prevents YOU from doing the one thing YOU love. Unfortunately until they move the poultry industry out of Delaware there will always be plenty of chickens for you to molest!
Ghost Results

Middletown, DE

#7 Sep 9, 2008
Since you seem to have no compassion for his situation, I hope something happens that prevents YOU from doing the one thing YOU love.
----------

Tragic story of a high school kid paid $5 million before he turns 25 years old.

I'm welled up with tears.

Who said he only loved one thing?
Eric G

Silver Spring, MD

#8 Sep 9, 2008
i don't think he has time to molest chickens. it seems that all this d' ouche does is smack talk the o's. ghost results, i think you can be a little more constructive. must get tired being such an annoying broken record.
September Swoon wrote:
<quoted text>
As USUAL you take things out of context. He preceded these comments with "from the start".
Since you seem to have no compassion for his situation, I hope something happens that prevents YOU from doing the one thing YOU love. Unfortunately until they move the poultry industry out of Delaware there will always be plenty of chickens for you to molest!
Ghost Results

Middletown, DE

#9 Sep 9, 2008
By the way, it's yet another stupid decision by the Orioles to devote resources to a player who has no prayer of ever becoming a major league hitter.

Loewen will be 25 years old STARTING OUT his minor league career as a hitter.

The kid was the 3rd or 4th best hitter in his JuCo team for cripes' sake.

If Loewen was smart, he'd move to Maryland. If he lives in Maryland, fans will demand that he receive full salary for the next ten years.
September Swoon

Reston, VA

#10 Sep 9, 2008
Ghost Results wrote:
Since you seem to have no compassion for his situation, I hope something happens that prevents YOU from doing the one thing YOU love.
----------
Tragic story of a high school kid paid $5 million before he turns 25 years old.
I'm welled up with tears.
Who said he only loved one thing?
No one, I said YOU only loved one thing. You're just jealous because $5 million could buy a lot of chickens!(Yeah, I forgot he had that big signing bonus, makes you wonder how long he'll toil in the minors before he just says "screw it". That is assuming he didn't blow the money already)
Attila the Hon

United States

#11 Sep 9, 2008
Murphy Brown had her secretaries and Emily Gilmore had her maids. Now Dave Trembley has his shortstops.
CRM

Baltimore, MD

#12 Sep 9, 2008
September Swoon wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey swoon does that include sheep as well for the ghost?
Baltimore Orioles

Washington, DC

#13 Sep 9, 2008
Ghost Results wrote:
By the way, it's yet another stupid decision by the Orioles to devote resources to a player who has no prayer of ever becoming a major league hitter.
If Loewen was smart, he'd move to Maryland. If he lives in Maryland, fans will demand that he receive full salary for the next ten years.
Refresh my memory: what's the name of the MLB team in Delaware?
Craig

Salisbury, MD

#14 Sep 9, 2008
Ghost Results wrote:
and Pete Rose was cut from his High School varsity baseball team.
The man has a right and has the talent to try. Not all of us are quitters like you.
You seem to thrive on other peoples failure.
Ghost Results

Middletown, DE

#15 Sep 9, 2008
and Pete Rose was cut from his High School varsity baseball team.
The man has a right and has the talent to try. Not all of us are quitters like you.
----------

Some of you are truly the most stupid posters the Sun baseball boards have ever seen.

Congrats. Every time I think O's fans reach a low point on the stupid meter, a host of new ones show their colors.

Gee, there are TONS of 25 year-old rookie league hitters with high school experience only.

Oh wait, there are NONE. Zero. Nil. Nada. Never.

And do you know why there are NONE?

BECAUSE IT IS A TOTAL WASTE OF EVERYONE'S TIME.

Loewen, IF IF IF he ever fufilled his fantasy and suddenly learned how to hit, is four years away from a tryout with the Baltimore Orioles.

And what is the point of a rookie 29 or 30 year-old outfielder when you could pick up a guy off waivers with 100x the experience, and 10x the talent?

These horrible decisions are why the Orioles are one of the worst teams in baseball.

And the fact that so many of you defend such dumb moves causes me to believe you DESERVE a terrible team.

Seriously, many of you just don't understand the very basic ideas of MLB.
Ghost Results

Middletown, DE

#16 Sep 9, 2008
I have a great idea.

Kevin Millar should try to become a starting pitcher!!!!

Why not?

Pete Rose was cut in high school, so Kevin Millar can become an All Star at pitcher!!!!

Yeah!
Ghost Results

Middletown, DE

#17 Sep 9, 2008
I also love the idea that a paid player has "earned the right" from the O's to clog up the minor leagues.

EARNED THE RIGHT?

Ummmm....based on what? His terrible record as a SP?

His huge sacrifice of only accepting $5 million and a MLB contract as a high school kid?

If anything, the O's deserve a refund.
Rebuilding

Glen Burnie, MD

#18 Sep 9, 2008
I don't get why you guys are blaming the Orioles for a blown pick. It may be a bad pick but there have been a lot of other failures. Quite frankly if you think about without that money we gave out Weiters would not be here.
CRM

Baltimore, MD

#19 Sep 9, 2008
Ghost Results wrote:
I have a great idea.
Kevin Millar should try to become a starting pitcher!!!!
Why not?
Pete Rose was cut in high school, so Kevin Millar can become an All Star at pitcher!!!!
Yeah!
What about Rick Ankiel ?
Ghost Oriole

Middletown, DE

#20 Sep 9, 2008
CRM wrote:
<quoted text>
What about Rick Ankiel ?
Great question:

1) Rick Ankiel hit 10HR's in 105 AB's in the rookie league AT AGE 21 (not age 25, like Loewen will be when he starts out).

2) At age 25, Ankiel advanced to AA, where he hit a total of 21HR's in 85 games. AA success versus rookie league attempt.

3) Ankiel turned 29 a couple of weeks ago. Loewen would, if all works out, be appearing in Baltimore as a hitter for the first time at age 29. Ankiel is already a stud.

4) Loewen has zero AB's in the last six years and a messed up arm. That arm might break again if he throws too hard from the OF.

And just because one person wins the lottery doesn't mean you'll win the lottery.

If you cannot see the massive difference in those two, I honestly feel sorry for you.

It's DUMB for the O's to waste any energy on Loewen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Matt Albers Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mark Prior Creates Roster Questions for Red Sox (Jun '12) Jun '12 Jim Penson 1
Orioles release ineffective Eaton; recall Albers (May '09) May '09 DARK STAR 4
Baltimore Orioles add Eaton to 25-man roster, o... (Apr '09) Apr '09 DARK STAR 2
Club releases Loewen, but likely not for long (Oct '08) Oct '08 Walt 61
Orioles' final report card (Sep '08) Oct '08 The 83 Os - the best 22
Johnson done for '08, but injury news a relief (Sep '08) Sep '08 NC Orioles Fan 6
O's reliever Johnson done for the season (Sep '08) Sep '08 Rico 8
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Matt Albers People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••