Shooter Now: Could Minnesota Twins turn to John Smoltz?

Pitcher John Smoltz of the St. Louis Cardinals warms up before taking on the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game One of the NLDS during the 2009 MLB Playoffs at Dodger Stadium on October 7, 2009 in Los Angeles. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Clueless

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Mar 11, 2010
Don't ask a question if you don't have the answer!
Elvis Aaron Presley

San Francisco, CA

#2 Mar 11, 2010
The Washington Nationals released ex-Twins closer Eddie Guardado, 39, this morning, but with an 83-mph fastball, he's not considered a prospect to replace Nathan.

yeah like anyone thought he was. yawn
Yawn

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Mar 11, 2010
Elvis Aaron Presley wrote:
The Washington Nationals released ex-Twins closer Eddie Guardado, 39, this morning, but with an 83-mph fastball, he's not considered a prospect to replace Nathan.
Yawn! You're much more boring than the Minneapolis Elvis
leon joe crooks

Ottawa, KS

#4 Mar 11, 2010
The Minnesota Twins need to pursue Brian fuentes as the closer. They also noeed to bring up slama,
fmc651

Eau Claire, WI

#5 Mar 11, 2010
Schmoltz is exactly what the Twins go after names after their time. The Pohlads are stil trying to figure a way to take their money it with them when they go.
Vikes sign LT

San Antonio, TX

#6 Mar 11, 2010
Wahoo!!!!
Minnesota Man

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Mar 11, 2010
Charlie Walters will just about report on any lead he gets. An unaswered text message is not a news story.
Dicky

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Mar 11, 2010
leon joe crooks wrote:
The Minnesota Twins need to pursue Brian fuentes as the closer. They also noeed to bring up slama,
For one thing, the Angels aren't likely to trade their closer. For another, the Twins sure aren't going to take on another $9 million.
With the success that he has had in the minors, the Twins should give Slama a chance.
What The

Onalaska, WI

#9 Mar 11, 2010
Go back to pumping gas !
CzarInMpls

Forest Lake, MN

#10 Mar 11, 2010
This would fit in with the Twins management style of thinking. "A big name we can sign to a cheap contract to make it look like we're trying our darndest to help the ballclub compete. That'll sell more tickets darn tootin!" Derek Jeter will be here when he's 50. Mark my words.
Walt

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Mar 11, 2010
A very Smoltz day:

http://bit.ly/dgFGSa
The Cold Hard Truth

Fargo, ND

#12 Mar 11, 2010
CzarInMpls wrote:
This would fit in with the Twins management style of thinking. "A big name we can sign to a cheap contract to make it look like we're trying our darndest to help the ballclub compete. That'll sell more tickets darn tootin!" Derek Jeter will be here when he's 50. Mark my words.
I wonder where they rank so far with this years payroll at nearly 100 million (without taking the new yet to be signed Mauer contract into consideration)? Must be at least middle of the pack. Anybody know?
Elvis Aaron Presley

San Francisco, CA

#13 Mar 11, 2010
The Cold Hard Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder where they rank so far with this years payroll at nearly 100 million (without taking the new yet to be signed Mauer contract into consideration)? Must be at least middle of the pack. Anybody know?
LAZY!!!!! DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! YOUR WIFE GETS YOU DOUGHNUTS! FEEDS YOU! CLEANS YOU!
BEDRIDDEN S C U M!!!!!!
Norman Teigen

Hopkins, MN

#14 Mar 11, 2010
Smoltz might be the right one. However, why pursue an old guy at the far end of his career. Why not look for that diamond in the rough that we might have on our own roster and develop him? It always seems that we are looking for that one right guy from somewhere else. I call this the Herschel Walker Syndrome.
Larry

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Mar 11, 2010
You are kidding right?
What The

United States

#16 Mar 11, 2010
<quoted text>
LAZY!!!!! DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH! YOUR WIFE GETS YOU DOUGHNUTS! FEEDS YOU! CLEANS YOU!
BEDRIDDEN S C U M!!!!!!
We all have figured out why everything you post is negative ! Your 80 year old old fart neighbor having his way with you for years. Still no reason to cut down the ones that weren't mistreated or were you a go-lucky recipient? Now buzz off loser !
Jeff

Minneapolis, MN

#17 Mar 11, 2010
What The wrote:
<quoted text>We all have figured out why everything you post is negative ! Your 80 year old old fart neighbor having his way with you for years. Still no reason to cut down the ones that weren't mistreated or were you a go-lucky recipient? Now buzz off loser !
He doesn't even know Elvis' middle name was Aron.
TC Florida

United States

#18 Mar 11, 2010
Smoltz has had a hall-of-fame career, but is he better than guys currently on the Twins roster? I wouldn't think so, unless none of the current bull-pen pitchers have that mentality that closer apparently need to have - although Rauch has enough closer experience.
This is probably more of a blow to the Twins fortunes than many of us have wanted to admit - I mean Nathan was probably second only to Rivera as a closer in the AL. 7337
brachiosaurus

Taunton, MA

#19 Mar 11, 2010
It makes more sense, as someone else mentioned, for the Twins to gamble on someone within the organization since Smoltz is a greater or equivalent gamble with a bigger price tag. It's likely that the Twins will try a mix of their bullpen people and possibly give some of the kids, like Slama, a long look during spring training. Actually, Slama is twenty-six. Maybe it is time for him to get a shot at making the 25 man roster.

Scruffy

Sterling Heights, MI

#20 Mar 11, 2010
You argue the obvious is in the article and then state it in a comment?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

John Smoltz Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This Date In Mets History: July 14 - Robin Vent... (Jul '12) Jul '12 XFlushing Fan 1
The Book He Wanted to Write: A Review of John S... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Hilda Mallard 1
John Boy: Braves closer in 2011? (Nov '10) Nov '10 Sixty Ft Six 1
Source: Mets consider adding Smoltz (Jan '10) Jan '10 HelloNewman 3
Red Sox release Smoltz; playing future in question (Aug '09) Aug '09 pat the painter 13
Smoltz gets shelled as Yanks finally top Sox (Aug '09) Aug '09 real lousy chowdah 10
Forget about the 2009 World Series for now. Sun... (Aug '09) Aug '09 Not this year 2

John Smoltz People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE