Shooter Now: How would Minnesota Twin...

Shooter Now: How would Minnesota Twins replace Joe Mauer? How about Bengie Molina?

There are 35 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 15, 2011, titled Shooter Now: How would Minnesota Twins replace Joe Mauer? How about Bengie Molina?. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

If the Minnesota Twins decide they need to sign a veteran catcher to replace disabled Joe Mauer, their best bet might be Bengie Molina.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Nice one trading Ramos

Chaska, MN

#1 Apr 15, 2011
for Matt Capps. Capps stinks and Mauer can't stay heathly behind the plate. The flu? Honestly, have you idiots heard there is a shot for that?
hdog

United States

#2 Apr 15, 2011
How about Wilson Ramos, dammit!
Steroids

Champlin, MN

#3 Apr 15, 2011
This is what happens with steroid abuse. The body breaks down. Mauer shouldn't have juiced back when he was trying to get a big contract.
Edge

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Apr 15, 2011
Hey Charley, Is Benji Hispanic?
hdog

United States

#5 Apr 15, 2011
And I don't care if Ramos isn't a veteran....he could have gotten the job done. As for me, I would take Redmond back over this current hypochondriac....whatever happened to grit and guts? Can we exhume Billy Martin and sign him after booting Gardy?
hdog

United States

#6 Apr 15, 2011
Nice one trading Ramos wrote:
for Matt Capps. Capps stinks and Mauer can't stay heathly behind the plate. The flu? Honestly, have you idiots heard there is a shot for that?
I didn't even see your post name before I posted. Yes, trading Ramos away was merely more idiotic than most of the Twins' boneheaded moves.
Elvis

San Francisco, CA

#7 Apr 15, 2011
incomprehensible drivel and lies. as if they will really try to trade for a catcher? mularkey.
Milo Minderbinder

Memphis, TN

#8 Apr 15, 2011
Dude. Go to PT, stretch and do yoga and take your vitamins. See you back soon.
sorb

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Apr 15, 2011
hdog wrote:
And I don't care if Ramos isn't a veteran....he could have gotten the job done.
Ramos can't even beat out 39 year old Pudge in Washington.
Scott in Orlando

Orlando, FL

#10 Apr 15, 2011
Calling Slowey expendable seems premature. Is Liriano going to come around? Are we sure Baker is better? Plus, the talk of trade assumes an aweful lot. Is this a long term problem or will Mauer be fine in two weeks? Ideally, Joe should be able to catch for a few more seasons before switching him to another position. Right now either 3rd base or 1st seem likely given his size. But will Morneau rebound or Valencia develop further? Those are two further questions yet to be answered. I see this as a knee-jerk reaction.
Elvis

San Francisco, CA

#11 Apr 15, 2011
sorb wrote:
<quoted text>
Ramos can't even beat out 39 year old Pudge in Washington.
Hey SORB. Ramos would have beating out Butera SORB. We don't have pudge so we don't have to worry about him SORB. Pull your head out of your SORB.
Vikings Guy

Rochester, MN

#12 Apr 15, 2011
If they can't move Mauer to LF or RF, they need to get rid of him.$23 mil/year for hitting singles and missing a lot of games?
Jeff

Mountain View, CA

#13 Apr 15, 2011
Brian Sabean (SF GM) when asked about resigning Bengie Molina prior to the 2010 said "That ship has sailed..." What did the Giants do? Resign Bengie Molina after a long off-season of being spurned by potential place warmers for Buster Posey. Then when the double-plays started pioling up for Bengie and his former HR balls started dying on the warning track they traded him to Texas for a Chris Ray -(RP) who is not on the club anymore. Don't expect much offense from Molina, or speed. He is about the slowest base-runner in the history of the game. With that aside, his skills behind the dish in the squat are masterful. His repoire with the staff was much appreciated in SF. I think with the Twins he could stabilize the streaky rotation and maybe help Liriano by being a solid veteran (personal catcher?) presence. It would also give Mauer a chance to rest every fifth day. BUT Bengie would have to be okay with being a backup, which I am sure wouldn't be a problem - as long as it isn't to his brother.
But he is VERY slow. Slow, slow ... SLOW!
Nostradumass

Webster, NY

#14 Apr 15, 2011
How about Butch Wynegar? Love that kid
E Battey

Saint Paul, MN

#15 Apr 15, 2011
give me a shot.
brachiosaurus

Attleboro, MA

#16 Apr 15, 2011
A combination of Holm and Butera can only be looked at as a short-term solution. Holm's hitting ability, however, might be underrated. He's patient at the plate and is able to draw walks. He also seems to hit well under pressure. He doesn't strike out often. In Pawtucket last Friday he did a beautiful job on a hit and run, singling through the infield into right, the opposite field for the right-handed hitting Holm. Unfortunately, though probably a better hitter than Butera, Holm seems slow behind the plate and doesn't appear to throw well. The best thing would be to have Mauer return in a couple weeks, but it's hard to imagine Mauer's being able to properly condition himself in a couple weeks. It may indeed be a long season for the Twins.
aRKade

Saint Paul, MN

#17 Apr 15, 2011
What happened to Jose Morales? He was a great backup for us two years ago, was supposed to be the backup last year until he got sidelined with elbow surgery and then he gets traded for some single-A pitching prospect that may never see the majors? Capps may have had a bad outing in the last game but at least we got a major league caliber pitcher for Ramos. Now because we traded both of our best catching prospects we are stuck with a guy who can't even hit .200 as our best backup.
Poot

Sioux Falls, SD

#18 Apr 15, 2011
Slowey is NOT expendable. I never was a big Mauer fan, however, I have always liked AJ. Too bad he's not still here. The Twins could use his attitude right now. They've missed it since he left.
DOG

Minneapolis, MN

#19 Apr 15, 2011
Wilson Ramos is hitting .455 and Smith should have known the Mauer situation was tenuous. And I'm still ticked at Smith dumping Gomez. Capps is fat, out of shape and gets shelled every time he takes the mound. Jim Pohlad better find a capable GM before Smith screws his next deal.
Eddie

Saint Paul, MN

#20 Apr 15, 2011
Mauer has the attitude that the Twins owe him a spot since he's from Minnesota. Now we also have to buy cars from him too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Joe Mauer Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Time To Hand The Keys To Murphy (Feb '16) Feb '16 Fart news 2
News Time To Hand The Keys To Murphy (Jan '16) Jan '16 Fart news 2
News Time for catchers to step up to plate (Feb '14) Feb '14 An Interested Obs... 1
News Justin Morneau's Top 20 Moments as a Minnesota ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Bleeds Purple 1
News MLB Trade Scenarios: Is Joe Mauer or Justin Upt... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Jammer Man 2
News Time for Twins to think about 2012 (Aug '11) Aug '12 Ozzie Guillen 29
News Mauer money, Mauer problems (Jan '12) Jul '12 they will lose 10... 9
More from around the web