Twins waste a great start in 7-5 loss to Brewers

Full story: TwinCities.com

It was all going so nicely for Minnesota. Coming off two big victories in Philadelphia, the Twins were set to pounce on the Brewers on Tuesday night with the kind of first inning from which teams don't come back.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of33
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
racy incendiarism

Watertown, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2010

I have a thought for Gardenhire. When I coached Legion ball and we played with National League rules, we would pencil in some starting pitcher that had just pitched (so he definitely wouldn't be throwing that day) as the #9 hitter just in case his turn at bat came up in the top of the first inning with the bases loaded or something. If not, you make the change to your "real" starting pitcher before the bottom of the first anyway. If so, you send up a pinch hitter for a guy that was never going to be in the game anyway. This happened with both Slowey in Philly and Baker in Milwaukee. Bases loaded, two out, already ahead 3-0 with a chance to tack on more, but the pitcher batting. I realize that in Philly the Twins ended up using all of their position players, and they are short on bench hitters anyway, but if you have a chance to go up 5-0 or more, you try it. Why is this not done in the big leagues? I'm pretty sure it has been done before, because I wouldn't have been genius enough to invent the concept.
WALGAG TOKYO

Kawaguchi, Japan

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

Our starters cant put together two decent games in a row. We play our worst ball against the best teams i.e. The Eastern Division. And weve got Twins players saying, Gosh, whats wrong with the fans? After all, were leading the Central Division.
Shucks, whats the matter with these people? Well maybe if these geniuses woke up and smelled the coffee, theyd realize theyre leading the worst Division in baseball and if they continue playing this second rate ball which will probably be good enough to beat out the Tigers and the White Sox, it wont cut it against the Yankees, Rays, Red Sox or whoever wins in the East. I love the Twins, but some folks representing the present edition of my favorite team certainly do need a reality check.
CamelTow

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

I will still say the Twins biggest mistake, and mark my words, is NOT signing Crede to play 3rd base. The Twins have the lowest batting average and least production from their 3rd base position than ANY team in the American League. We have been hearing about Valencia for 2 years now and well frankly I don't see it. Let's see, last nigth he comes up in the first inning with basesd loaded, no outs, a pitcher who can't find the strike zone...so what does he do? he swings at the FIRST pitch and hits apop up...nice, some good coaching there too by the way.I know that Valencia is only a rookie but hey, the guy is 26 years old already, it's not like he is a 20 year old kid. I also know that most of you will go on and on about Crede and how was hurt all the time. A lot of that was from the turf, why not take another chance on him, he sure beats having to watch Poontang and Harris everyday, that is painful. Remember, in the first inning last night, the Twins had already scored 3 runs, still had the bases loaded and NO outs and then did not score another run...Valencia pops up, Poontang, with the pitcher on deck sits at the plate and watches stirke 3 go by, what a waste. The Twins didn't deserve to win last night and this coach, this arrogant Gardenhoser, he has got to go. This team has had SO many chances to pull away in this woeful divison they are in and can't do so...that is the fault of the manager.....A line up with Valencia, Poontang, Harris, I mean, that is a double A line up at best......Gardenhoser loves to use his Double AA lineup on "getaway" days too..let's see what that stat is...the Twins this year have won the first 2 games of a 3 games series TEN times this year and only twice have they won the third game...they have lost EIGHT game 3's...why? because they have to rest Mauer, use Butera along with Punto, Harris and Lord knows who else...why not ACTUALLY go for the sweep instead of using the Little League mentality of making sure that everyone gets a chance to play. It will be the downfall of this team, that plus no 3rd baseman....

Since: Sep 08

Lakeville, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

the tweins biggest mistake is sending baker out there time after time , he cant hold easrly leads, and Gardenhire also is not smart enough to manage under NL rules, gtoo much strategy
Zeke

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

Gardy chews out Valencia for swinging at the first pitch and popping out, but says nothing when his buddy Punto is next up and strikes out looking.

Valencia might as well realize that batting .300 with no errors in the field doesn't matter to the bull-headed manager...when Hardy is back, Valencia will be a 26 year old minor league player. The handwriting is on the wall....Gardy has tipped his hat.

The Twins are poorly managed...Baker should have been pulled in the 4th before they lost their lead...Hudson gets picked off first, and Kubel's broken bat DP in the 8th could have been a triple play, but there was already one out....who's coaching these baserunners, and why are they sleeping out there????

Since: Jan 09

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

racy incendiarism wrote:
I have a thought for Gardenhire. When I coached Legion ball and we played with National League rules, we would pencil in some starting pitcher that had just pitched (so he definitely wouldn't be throwing that day) as the #9 hitter just in case his turn at bat came up in the top of the first inning with the bases loaded or something. If not, you make the change to your "real" starting pitcher before the bottom of the first anyway. If so, you send up a pinch hitter for a guy that was never going to be in the game anyway. This happened with both Slowey in Philly and Baker in Milwaukee. Bases loaded, two out, already ahead 3-0 with a chance to tack on more, but the pitcher batting. I realize that in Philly the Twins ended up using all of their position players, and they are short on bench hitters anyway, but if you have a chance to go up 5-0 or more, you try it. Why is this not done in the big leagues? I'm pretty sure it has been done before, because I wouldn't have been genius enough to invent the concept.
There is a MLB rule against doing this. Earl Weaver used to do it way back when. He would put yesterday's starting pitcher in today's lineup in the DH spot, then pinch-hit a righty or lefty depending on the situation. A pretty good idea, though.

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

Tom Powers hit the nail on the head a couple weeks ago, when he said that Baker was the best 3-inning pitcher in baseball. He's a mediocre pitcher at best.
Rick

Cannon Falls, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

I've got to agree with Zeke on one thing- the Punto
at bat. He's batting 8th with the pitcher behind him and he dinks around, moving and jumping when he
should be digging in and swinging at anything he can reach. Takes 2 pitches down the middle, leaves the bases loaded for Baker. He needed to get the bat on the ball and try to bring in a run. But he's
a "professional". I knew Baker's performance last
week was too good to be true. I think last night
was the 4th time he's had an early 3-4 run lead that he's coughed up in the 4th inning. Why does it
take Gardy & Andy so long to go out and give him &
Slowey the what for???

Since: Jul 08

St. Paul

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

Why does this shock anyboday? It is the same pathetic pattern of ball from this club year after year. Good enough to win a bad division and then lose in the first round. Until the Twins brass decides to:

A) fire the most over-rated manager in baseball
B) pull a trade for a REAL pitcher
C) dump any starting pitcher with an ERA over 4.5
D) cut Punto, Tolbert, Harris, and every other hack who doesn't deserve to be on a major league roster

Then we will all be listening to Gardy whining at the end of the season about how no one respected this team, but by golly they battled through to get the chance to lose in the first round to a superior team.

Sorry folks- this is as good as we are going to get.
brachiosaurus

Taunton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

Young is really playing well. Mauer got a single in the 9th, but with two outs and down by two, the Twins weren't coming back.

It's becoming clearer that Baker, Slowey, and Blackburn will never be great pitchers. They are good pitchers, and steady, but they almost always struggle against good hitting teams. Baker's inability to come up with another pitch to go with his fastball is somewhat indicative of how easily things can go wrong for these three. Everyone accepts Blackburn for what he is, but people still have hopes that either Baker or Slowey will somehow emerge as an ace of sorts. It doesn't look as if it's going to happen. Pavano is solid, and Liriano is very good. There's talk of acquiring an ace, a no. 1 guy for the rotation, a reliever, or a third baseman before the trade deadline. The Twins may have the relievers in the minors with Slama, Waldrop, Neshek, and even Mijares as possibilities. Valencia just needs more time in the majors, perhaps. He's going to make rookie mistakes. So, getting that stopper, an ace for the rotation, might be the best move. Detroit is hanging in there, and the White Sox are making a move.
captnquint

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

gardy doesn't manage. sits back and waits for the 3 run homer from his 4-6 hitters. few hit and runs, pitch outs, bunts. no effort from coaching staff.
captnquint

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

i won't be posting tommorow. i need the day off after an evening posting.
CamelTow

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

captnquint wrote:
i won't be posting tommorow. i need the day off after an evening posting.
I completely understand Joe, er Captain.........
Twins2010

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

I couldn't agree with you more, besides the fact of resigning Crede. Gardy's managerial skills are really starting to become a concern this year. I understand that the season is long and players need their rest, but when you throw out a AA lineup on every third game of the series...especially when we've had all these opportunities to sweep teams? It's getting to be ridicolous and embarrasing!!! Does Gardy not undertand that every game counts, I mean it's got to be apparent to him especially after the past seasons coming down to the wire to decide the Central champs. Third base is a major concern, I'm tired of Gardy throwing out Valencia, Punto, and Harris at third!! They're absolutely terrible, Gardy has some love affair with these guys who can't produce at the plate or in the clutch. Throw Cuddy at third, and DH Thome. All the guy does is produce and mash, if he were to see regular AB's I would believe his consistency would skyrocket. The guy doesn't even own a glove anymore, he showed up to spring training with no glove, he's here to mash balls. He wakes up in the morning just to come to the park and mash, and we're not using him!! I'm tired of throwing out this D lineup and it's time for Gardy to realize that he needs to change things at three bag!!!!
just another day

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

just another day in loserville.....
Frustrating

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Bottom line is this: Since being 19-9 after sweeping the Tigers in early May, our boys have played .500 ball going 21-21 over the last 7 weeks! That's not going to cut it in the long run. Like the Rays, the Twins' weaknesses have been exploited by the better teams (i.e., Yankees, Atlanta).
They can't rely on Delmon and Morneau to carry them thru the rest of the year. Some of the bigger names (Cuddyer, Hardy - if he ever comes back, Span, Mauer, Kubel, et. al) need to earn their exorbitant pay checks. I love 'em, but it seems more of the same - good middle of the road team and not a "real" contender.

“Obamacs at it's finest!”

Since: Mar 09

Anytown, Minnesota........

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Twins2010 wrote:
I couldn't agree with you more, besides the fact of resigning Crede. Gardy's managerial skills are really starting to become a concern this year. I understand that the season is long and players need their rest, but when you throw out a AA lineup on every third game of the series...especially when we've had all these opportunities to sweep teams? It's getting to be ridicolous and embarrasing!!! Does Gardy not undertand that every game counts, I mean it's got to be apparent to him especially after the past seasons coming down to the wire to decide the Central champs. Third base is a major concern, I'm tired of Gardy throwing out Valencia, Punto, and Harris at third!! They're absolutely terrible, Gardy has some love affair with these guys who can't produce at the plate or in the clutch. Throw Cuddy at third, and DH Thome. All the guy does is produce and mash, if he were to see regular AB's I would believe his consistency would skyrocket. The guy doesn't even own a glove anymore, he showed up to spring training with no glove, he's here to mash balls. He wakes up in the morning just to come to the park and mash, and we're not using him!! I'm tired of throwing out this D lineup and it's time for Gardy to realize that he needs to change things at three bag!!!!
intersting idea about Cuddy at third, I like that...have him at third, Kubel in right and Thome DH, not bad...sure beats Harris, Valencia, Tolbert, Poontang and the like...I am so sick of this minor league line up crap...you have one the most feared HR hitters on OUR team for a change and he never gets to play...yea, bench Thome and play Valencia, makes sense doesn't it? Gardenhoser has gotta go........

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Falstaff1962 wrote:
Why does this shock anyboday? It is the same pathetic pattern of ball from this club year after year. Good enough to win a bad division and then lose in the first round. Until the Twins brass decides to:
A) fire the most over-rated manager in baseball
B) pull a trade for a REAL pitcher
C) dump any starting pitcher with an ERA over 4.5
D) cut Punto, Tolbert, Harris, and every other hack who doesn't deserve to be on a major league roster
Then we will all be listening to Gardy whining at the end of the season about how no one respected this team, but by golly they battled through to get the chance to lose in the first round to a superior team.

Sorry folks- this is as good as we are going to get.
EXACTLY! Why is Twins' management so content with a mediocre manager? At some point, shouldn't they be looking for improvement? For a team that wants to appear so penny-wise, they can be so pound-foolish (like signing a AA player like Punto to $8 million over 2 years). Punto stinks! Put Cuddy at 3rd - defense is not as important at 3rd. Get Cliff Lee - if you have to lose Ramos in the process, so be it. If you have the Baby Jesus, why do you need Ramos?

“Obamacs at it's finest!”

Since: Mar 09

Anytown, Minnesota........

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Judged:

Go_Ponies wrote:
<quoted text>
EXACTLY! Why is Twins' management so content with a mediocre manager? At some point, shouldn't they be looking for improvement? For a team that wants to appear so penny-wise, they can be so pound-foolish (like signing a AA player like Punto to $8 million over 2 years). Punto stinks! Put Cuddy at 3rd - defense is not as important at 3rd. Get Cliff Lee - if you have to lose Ramos in the process, so be it. If you have the Baby Jesus, why do you need Ramos?
the Twins are perfectly happy with the Central Divsion Camps banner waving over Target Field, THAT is their goal...if, by some chance they make it past a first round playoff series , well that is gravy ( although check Gardy's playoff record, that is a joke) They are making a ton of dough so Pohlads are happy..they are winning division titles so Gardenhoser gets to keep his job so he is happy and so it goess. As I have posted before, they have a nice little ballclub but they can never compete with the better teams and EVERYONE knows it but deep down they don't care. They (managemet) are perfectly happy with the way things are....it is all about making money and NOTHING else, dont' fool yourself into thinking any differently. I am still a fan, I love the Twins, I watch them every day but I am growing very tired of the same ol every day, fielding a second rate lineup that wins just enough games to stay ahead of a woeful group of lame teams.
brachiosaurus

Taunton, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2010

Frustrating wrote:
Bottom line is this: Since being 19-9 after sweeping the Tigers in early May, our boys have played .500 ball going 21-21 over the last 7 weeks! That's not going to cut it in the long run. Like the Rays, the Twins' weaknesses have been exploited by the better teams (i.e., Yankees, Atlanta).
They can't rely on Delmon and Morneau to carry them thru the rest of the year. Some of the bigger names (Cuddyer, Hardy - if he ever comes back, Span, Mauer, Kubel, et. al) need to earn their exorbitant pay checks. I love 'em, but it seems more of the same - good middle of the road team and not a "real" contender.
The Twins have the players to generate offense. Valencia deserves a chance at third base. He may be 26 but still a rookie in the big league. Crede is an enormous liability--why has no one scarfed him up if he's so good? For the numbers people, take a good look at his lifetime stats--one good season only. And, he can't run. Harris needs to go, and although Butera is likable and did hit a homerun, he'll never hit much better than the good hitting pitchers in the NL. Ramos and Morales are stagnating in Rochester--sorry. Their numbers, in fact, would indicate real dejection rather than lack of talent. Thome is a top notch guy, but can he still catch up with a good fastball? Certainly, it's nice to have him as an option for DH and off the bench. Too bad he can't help out in the field, too. Maybe he does need more at-bats.

Hardy can play short and though his numbers aren't great did get some clutch hits for the Twins. It's all about pitching. There was nothing written on the reason for Mijares being sent to the minors and the reason for preferring Crain or Mahay. The Twins have a few good relievers in AAA right now: Slama, Waldrop, Neshek, and Mijares. The starting rotation should be the primary concern. If a healthy Cliff Lee is truly on the market, he might be worth the rent for the Twins. He pitched well through the play-offs and into the World Series last season. He would give the Twins another lefty in the rotation, and it would be back to long relief for Baker, Slowey, or Blackburn.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of33
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Jim Edmonds Discussions

Search the Jim Edmonds Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Baseball: Burying the past in Cincinnati | The ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 GLEN 3
Bob Hunter commentary: Edmonds, a seasoned pro,... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Reality check 10
Jim Edmonds agrees to minor league contract wit... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Jmbean 4
Jim Edmonds agrees to minor league contract wit... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Jub 1
Chicago Cubs Find Their Center Fielder in Marlo... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Mahomad Al Karaj 7
Chicago Cubs still looking to shake-and-stir th... (Jul '09) Jul '09 patso patington 95
Lou Piniella: Chicago Cubs still need left-hand... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Fukudome 122
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••