Chicago Cubs still looking to shake-a...

Chicago Cubs still looking to shake-and-stir the team

There are 95 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 23, 2009, titled Chicago Cubs still looking to shake-and-stir the team. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

When Lou Piniella practically pleaded for a "couple more hitters at this trading deadline" Tuesday, it was probably more the irritability of an impatient manager than anything based in reality.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Jorge Arbusto

Gwinn, MI

#1 Jul 23, 2009
Trades won't make a big difference at all.

And, for all of the #$%&@^ who want to trade Bradley and/or Soriano:

Do the Cubs have players available for a major trade? Yes, but only position players and nobody would want their back-loaded contracts anyhow (read: Alfonso Soriano, Milton Bradley). And their top minor leaguers are not yet ready for prime time.

Average team in a mediocre division!
mikem

Lemont, IL

#2 Jul 23, 2009
I dont care who they get as long as he can hit,bunt,catch and run. Even if they get someone like that so you think LOU will ever sit Sorry Soriano(the worse defensive outfielder in the league. Lets play Fox more anywhere.. He is the hitter you're looking for LOU.. And Sam Fuld , everytime I saw him play he gets on base steals agaitates the pitcher and is a good fielder.He a far better hitter than what the current lefty Hauffpauir is doing because he doesnt play every day. The 1st 2 games Fuld played he looked great but LOU sat him, because he wanted SORRY SORIANO in the lineup.. Sit Soriano.. But I guess the stupid Cubs and GM sent Fuld down as I dont see him on the active roster ... What a shame .. the guy looked so ready to give the Cubs some life.
The Cubs have the players that can win the division but they DONT play.. and the cubs need a hitting 2nd baseman NOT a 250 at best hitter like Fontenot or any other 2nd baseman they have.
American With Sense

Montgomery, AL

#3 Jul 23, 2009
Want to stir things up? tear down that foul smelling dump that Belushi kneels down to.
Doug

Richton Park, IL

#4 Jul 23, 2009
American With Sense wrote:
Want to stir things up? tear down that foul smelling dump that Belushi kneels down to.
Are you talking about Alabama? Because Alabama is pretty foul smelling dump. Here's some advice. If you're going to bash something and call it a "foul smelling dump" do not tell people you are from Alabama. It's just too easy!
Fire the Manager

Mexico, Mexico

#5 Jul 23, 2009
What happened to the old adage, "put your best team on the field"? Why oh why can't Soriano, Bradley and Fukudome be benched and Fox, Johnson and Hoffpauir take their places?

Lou Pinella = 275 lbs. of pure inspiration.
Fire the Manager

Mexico, Mexico

#6 Jul 23, 2009
or Fuld instead of Hoffpauir
16 losses

Gurnee, IL

#7 Jul 23, 2009
hit the phones jimmy boy...
Freddy Sanchez & John Grabow
Get it done!
It just makes TOO MUCH SENSE!
Its perfect (man up and pay) we get another real good lefty in the pen, we get a legit allstar .300+ leadoff man (with a batting title) and a real solid defender.

With Sanchez/Theriot at the top we would have two high BA, high OBP guys with solid speed...i dig it (besides it seems like Soriano has really settled into that 6th spot nicely)

Sanchez
Theriot
Lee
Ramirez
Bradley
Soriano
Soto (when healthy)
Fukudome
Pitcher
Sorry ano

New York, NY

#8 Jul 23, 2009
16 losses wrote:
hit the phones jimmy boy...
Freddy Sanchez & John Grabow
Get it done!
It just makes TOO MUCH SENSE!
Its perfect (man up and pay) we get another real good lefty in the pen, we get a legit allstar .300+ leadoff man (with a batting title) and a real solid defender.
With Sanchez/Theriot at the top we would have two high BA, high OBP guys with solid speed...i dig it (besides it seems like Soriano has really settled into that 6th spot nicely)
Sanchez
Theriot
Lee
Ramirez
Bradley
Soriano
Soto (when healthy)
Fukudome
Pitcher
Your crumb bum team had how many? 8 allstars last year. The worst 97 win team I ever saw. So why not add more. You are another in a long line of clueless flubbers.
WBrown Memphis

Memphis, TN

#9 Jul 23, 2009
I doubt anything happens. There isn't much that the cubs can give away to get a decent player. The player pool is deep enough, Lou just isn't playing the right players.
Ollie

Mulliken, MI

#10 Jul 23, 2009
Piniella is still in spring training. What the Cubs need is a stable line-up and a new manager. NOW
Jesse Jacksons Condom

Montgomery, AL

#11 Jul 23, 2009
Doug wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you talking about Alabama? Because Alabama is pretty foul smelling dump. Here's some advice. If you're going to bash something and call it a "foul smelling dump" do not tell people you are from Alabama. It's just too easy!
Ignorant dolt, I'm from Chicago and Wrigley is a DUMP!!!!!

My second home is in Alabama...beautiful down here, very few whacko liberals like you. I love it!!
Jesse Jacksons Condom

Montgomery, AL

#12 Jul 23, 2009
Doug wrote:
<quoted text>
101 Years of futility...take that to bed with you tonite.
jimhickman

Gilberts, IL

#13 Jul 23, 2009
We could probably get Buhrle for a lot less than it would take to get Halliday. I'd grab him for the stretch run. A lefty fits better in the rotation plus he hits home runs.
pud selig

Highland, IN

#14 Jul 23, 2009
jimhickman wrote:
We could probably get Buhrle for a lot less than it would take to get Halliday. I'd grab him for the stretch run. A lefty fits better in the rotation plus he hits home runs.
Hey, Don Young wannabe, don't you have a fly ball to drop?
Bob Waters

Des Moines, IA

#15 Jul 23, 2009
We need a new general manager aboard by the time the off-season begins in time to try to salvage next year- preferably one not delusional enough to still think think that this is a good team that just needs "tweaking."

After the playoff collapses of the last two years, this season should end any doubt that the Cubs need a major overhaul- or to stop expecting fan support until they have one.
Bob Waters

Des Moines, IA

#16 Jul 23, 2009
Jesse Jacksons Condom wrote:
<quoted text>
101 Years of futility...take that to bed with you tonite.
He's a Sox fan, and doesn't realize that the South Side is worse than Alabama.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#17 Jul 23, 2009
Please no more deals Hendry. Yes he may have had made good deals in the past. But lately he has overpaid for average talent and underperforming players. No sense in digging the hole deeper.

I hope Ricketts starts shopping around for a gm. Lou seems disinterested and is counting down his days left in the contract.

Since: Sep 08

Location hidden

#18 Jul 23, 2009
Time to clean house in 2010.
Mel

Lansing, IL

#19 Jul 23, 2009
It's about the trading deadline where the Cubs should be dealing with their favorite out of contention trading partner, the Pittsburgh Pirates. Their players are dying to get out. Surely, the Cubs can get some rent-a-hitters from that team.
Chuck D of Valpo

Valparaiso, IN

#20 Jul 23, 2009
Stand pat. The Cubs are coming around. Dog days of summer are just around the corner and they are in the thick of a pennant race. Let them jell together and see what happens.
Baseball is heating up in the great city of Chicago. Hope springs eternal and life is good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jim Edmonds Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Baseball: Burying the past in Cincinnati | The ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 GLEN 3
News Bob Hunter commentary: Edmonds, a seasoned pro,... (Aug '10) Aug '10 Reality check 10
News Twins waste a great start in 7-5 loss to Brewers (Jun '10) Jun '10 Ozzie Guillen 33
News Jim Edmonds agrees to minor league contract wit... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Jmbean 4
News Jim Edmonds agrees to minor league contract wit... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Jub 1
News Chicago Cubs Find Their Center Fielder in Marlo... (Jan '10) Jan '10 Mahomad Al Karaj 7
News Lou Piniella: Chicago Cubs still need left-hand... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Fukudome 122
More from around the web