Sale of Cubs could bring changes

Sale of Cubs could bring changes

There are 72 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 23, 2009, titled Sale of Cubs could bring changes. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A change in Cubs ownership likely will bring changes to the North Side on the field and in the front office.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
clyde

Brunswick, GA

#3 Jan 24, 2009
Always has amazed me how "neighborhood groups" fight night games and anything else that occurs in Wrigley. After all, the ballpark has been there longer than the neighborhoods, and those that moved to the neighborhood knew it was there. Not a big secret. If you don't like crowds, why move near a ballpark? That's idiocy to the inth degree.
Ex Cubs Fan

United States

#4 Jan 24, 2009
i always said the Cubs would win a World Series if they were owned by a crazy billionaire instead of a greedy conglomerate.

good luck to the Ricketts, good luck to the Cubs!
webster

Paso Robles, CA

#5 Jan 24, 2009
another day of senseless Cub blogs by the 3 million bobbleheads
Ronnie WooWoo dentist

Paso Robles, CA

#6 Jan 24, 2009
clyde wrote:
Always has amazed me how "neighborhood groups" fight night games and anything else that occurs in Wrigley. After all, the ballpark has been there longer than the neighborhoods, and those that moved to the neighborhood knew it was there. Not a big secret. If you don't like crowds, why move near a ballpark? That's idiocy to the inth degree.
Nothing that happens in Nitwitville should amaze you...except a meaningful win.
Josh

Chicago, IL

#7 Jan 24, 2009
Clyde, I live in the neighborhood and think the Cubs should have more night games, but your analysis is off the wall. Wrigley Field was not put up in a farmer's field.

Much of the housing stock predates the ball park, much more the shift from a daytime only ball park to night and day games.

Sure, many of the people living in the homes were not around when the Cubs added lights. But then the Cubs players and management were not either.

Wrigley Field happens to be located in one of the more densely populated neighborhoods in Chicago. This is a democracy. Democracy calls for compromise, not rich and powerful dictating what they want. Locals deserve their say. With luck, some of the proposed changes to the park will convince more of the neighbors that adding more night games with the changes will be a win for anyone.

That is the way a democracy should work.
Shawon Dunston

Willowbrook, IL

#8 Jan 24, 2009
How can a new owner want to keep Crane? The guy is a fool.

Having a new owner is nice and all - but if they don't change the top of the organization (Crane and Hendry) then I don't see much changing with the team. Hendry has been with the team for over 15 years - specifically overseeing the acquisition and development of players. How many players has he developed in those 15 years?

The problem with the Trib ownership of the team was no one in the Trib Tower knew anything about baseball, so they went out and got MacFail (who they mistakenly thought knew about baseball - when in fact he has been living off of his father's and grandfather's name). They gave the keys to the kingdom to MacFail - and he did a horrible job with the team during his reign. When he was finally kicked to the curb, the Tribsters looked around, knew that they were only going to own the team for another season or so - and grabbed an in-house guy in Hendry. Yet Hendry can't evaluate talent. The only reason the Cubs have been decent the past few season is because Hendry tried to throw money at the problem.

If these guys (Crane and Hendry) are still calling the shots - then nothing will change.

Ricketts family - PLEASE bring in new people. Change is needed.
Butch

United States

#9 Jan 24, 2009
Shawon Dunston wrote:
How can a new owner want to keep Crane? The guy is a fool.
Having a new owner is nice and all - but if they don't change the top of the organization (Crane and Hendry) then I don't see much changing with the team. Hendry has been with the team for over 15 years - specifically overseeing the acquisition and development of players. How many players has he developed in those 15 years?
The problem with the Trib ownership of the team was no one in the Trib Tower knew anything about baseball, so they went out and got MacFail (who they mistakenly thought knew about baseball - when in fact he has been living off of his father's and grandfather's name). They gave the keys to the kingdom to MacFail - and he did a horrible job with the team during his reign. When he was finally kicked to the curb, the Tribsters looked around, knew that they were only going to own the team for another season or so - and grabbed an in-house guy in Hendry. Yet Hendry can't evaluate talent. The only reason the Cubs have been decent the past few season is because Hendry tried to throw money at the problem.
If these guys (Crane and Hendry) are still calling the shots - then nothing will change.
Ricketts family - PLEASE bring in new people. Change is needed.
I am just glad idiots like you,dont call the shots! Who is Macfail?? His name is Andy Mcphail. Also,Hendry has not been with the Cubs over 15 years in his position. Hendry and Piniella are doing a great job and they keep improving us each year. Even though many teams would stand pat after winning 97 games. Hendry is trying to make us even better. He has improved the bullpen,got lefties in the line-up and is pursuing Peavy as well! Pulling off a deal for Peavy,would be another fabulous job by Hendry. He would be Putting together the best rotation in baseball,even though we already had a great one! I am not totally sold on Crane,especially after the dug out blessing in the post season! Talk about hurting your own teams mentality before a big game. By showing them he thinks there is a stupid Curse with the blessing. Then he throws the Priest under the bus! Not exactly good Karma to throw a Priest under the bus and lying! so Get a clue before you come on here being stupid and embarrassing yourself!! Go Cubs!!
no cubs

Berwyn, IL

#10 Jan 24, 2009
The Cubs will continue the tradition of losing, the only tradition they have. I a mistaken they have a second tradition whining. I believe the Ricketts' can usher i anew era of losing and whining unless of course the cubs reverse course. The Cubs can whine and then lose
TTH

United States

#11 Jan 24, 2009
webster wrote:
another day of senseless Cub blogs by the 3 million bobbleheads
Aww, comeon. Don't refere to the Cubsessed, like yourself, as bobbleheads.

And there's nowhere near 3 million of you.
no snow

Batavia, IL

#12 Jan 24, 2009
I dont care what happens. Win a freakin title already.
TTH

United States

#13 Jan 24, 2009
no cubs wrote:
The Cubs will continue the tradition of losing, the only tradition they have. I a mistaken they have a second tradition whining. I believe the Ricketts' can usher i anew era of losing and whining unless of course the cubs reverse course. The Cubs can whine and then lose
Nice writing skills. Let me guess, you are a product of the Berwyn public schools.
Gene

Wayne, IL

#14 Jan 24, 2009
OKAY ANOTHER DUMB COLUMNIST AT THE TRIB!

san Diego does NOT have to unload Peavey, and, in fact, have said the opposite of late.

Should I like a story from the San Diego papers, so the Trib has a clue?

Has anyone else noticed how bad content research has become at this newspaper?

Geez!
yikes

Hinsdale, IL

#15 Jan 24, 2009
No night games during the weekend at wrigleyfield makes no sense! Who sleeps during the weekend in wrigleyville? Everyone is out partying!

“FIRE CHILLY! FIRE CHILLY! ”

Since: Aug 08

Rensselaer

#16 Jan 24, 2009
TTH wrote:
<quoted text>
Aww, comeon. Don't refere to the Cubsessed, like yourself, as bobbleheads.
And there's nowhere near 3 million of you.
how are the sox fans obsessed with the cubs? there are just as many cub fans who post on topix about the sox as there are here.
MBS

Crown Point, IN

#17 Jan 24, 2009
Josh wrote:
Wrigley Field happens to be located in one of the more densely populated neighborhoods in Chicago. This is a democracy. Democracy calls for compromise, not rich and powerful dictating what they want. Locals deserve their say. With luck, some of the proposed changes to the park will convince more of the neighbors that adding more night games with the changes will be a win for anyone.
I also have lived in Wrigleyville. There were a lot more families living there 15 years ago. But the neighborhood was a ghost town when it wasn't baseball season. That was fine with us.

Now it thrives all year. But development has taken its toll. Many of the families have moved out, and EVEN MORE of the obnoxious, transient, living-in-a-city-for-their-fir st-time hayseeds have invaded the neighborhood.

The Cubs will get whatever they want. No one at City Hall cares what happens to the neighborhood or its residents anymore. It has become a giant cash machine.

For Wrigleyville -- and all who live there -- more night games means more people pissing and puking on lawns and in alleys, more garbage and broken glass everywhere, and more drunks stumbling around making Cubs fans look bad. And the beat goes on.
Marteen

Las Vegas, NV

#18 Jan 24, 2009
clyde wrote:
All the more reason to build a new ballpark somewhere away from all the urbanites.
col boriguard

Chicago, IL

#19 Jan 24, 2009
Marteen wrote:
<quoted text>
All the more reason to build a new ballpark somewhere away from all the urbanites.
They will never do that. Wrigley has everything going for it except the facility itself. If a city planner would set up a place like that today, no parking, juice rate parking fees, quadruple parking cars if your dumb enough, garbage access. He or she would be shot. The only good thing are the bars and those are nothing but shot and a beer joints. But it's Wrigley and people want to say they go. Want to say they have been there. To see the team that won't win a World Series because they don't have to. The sheep flock to them already.
Cameron

Belvidere, IL

#20 Jan 24, 2009
Go get peavy!
Annie

United States

#23 Jan 24, 2009
Gene wrote:
OKAY ANOTHER DUMB COLUMNIST AT THE TRIB!
san Diego does NOT have to unload Peavey, and, in fact, have said the opposite of late.
Should I like a story from the San Diego papers, so the Trib has a clue?
Has anyone else noticed how bad content research has become at this newspaper?
Geez!
You mean like the fact that bleachers were reconstructed well before 2007 and well before Crane Kenney was allowed to get his fingers all over this team (only because of the ownership change)? Copy editors really need to do better research and quit changing facts to fallacies.

“FIRE CHILLY! FIRE CHILLY! ”

Since: Aug 08

Rensselaer

#24 Jan 26, 2009
how come TTH hasnt replyed to my comment? is it because he put his foot in his mouth or something?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Jake Peavy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Jake Peavy's wooden Indian takes its place in B... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Ozzie Guillen 3
News Chicago Cubs vs. Chicago White Sox Preview, Sun... (May '12) Jul '12 cub fan 3
News C.J. Scratched From All-Star Game (Jul '12) Jul '12 Rogerb888 1
News Jon Lester outpitches Jake Peavy, Red Sox beat ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 ghost payroller 1
News Peavy goes 4 innings, White Sox beat Reds 13-10 (Apr '12) Apr '12 Ozzie Guillen 1
News White Sox's Peavy roughed up by A's in 9-4 loss (Mar '12) Mar '12 sven 2
News Chicago Cubs and White Sox Failure - a Miracle ... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Ralph Kramden 2
More from around the web