Dodgers' Ramirez gets to enjoy his bo...

Dodgers' Ramirez gets to enjoy his bobblehead

There are 12 comments on the LA Daily News story from Jul 23, 2009, titled Dodgers' Ramirez gets to enjoy his bobblehead. In it, LA Daily News reports that:

Unable to start on his own bobblehead night because of a bruised left hand, Manny Ramirez had a compromise.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at LA Daily News.

MLB rules are a joke

Woodland Hills, CA

#1 Jul 23, 2009
Let's say I'm a MLB player faced with the rather small risk of a 50-game suspension and minimal embarrassment for a first PED offense vs. the opportunity to improve my performance, enjoy fame and lifetime financial security. If I happened to be a player with a flexible moral code, this choice arranged by MLB looks like a no-brainer to me.
That Selig doesn't get it is astonishing.
MLB's waiting for an HGH urine test is just a smoke-screen to keep effective testing for PEDs from happening now. Players are kidding themselves if they think their union's current stance on testing for PEDs is good for them.
I wonder what Manny, Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds think of the job their union did for them and say thank you.
jason hale

AOL

#2 Jul 23, 2009
congrats on your sweep of my reds. you guys have a complete ball team hope you have a space on your mantle next to all of kobes trophies.

lol
go bengals, reds, buckeyes,cavs, and blue jackets

sorry state of affairs in ohio
surf_morongo

United States

#3 Jul 23, 2009
MLB rules are a joke wrote:
Let's say I'm a MLB player faced with the rather small risk of a 50-game suspension and minimal embarrassment for a first PED offense vs. the opportunity to improve my performance, enjoy fame and lifetime financial security. If I happened to be a player with a flexible moral code, this choice arranged by MLB looks like a no-brainer to me.
That Selig doesn't get it is astonishing.
MLB's waiting for an HGH urine test is just a smoke-screen to keep effective testing for PEDs from happening now. Players are kidding themselves if they think their union's current stance on testing for PEDs is good for them.
I wonder what Manny, Mark McGwire and Barry Bonds think of the job their union did for them and say thank you.
MLB you and that guy Robert of Los Angeles need to get over it. Yes, I agree that the MLB rules and system is not perfect and nietherb are the players. But they are actually the same as most of America. Many of us are not perfect and when we transgress we admit our faults, accept our punishment and move on. You likely have a medicine cabinter filled with Viagara and Ciallis. Your wife more than likely has had a face lift and breast implants. You cheat with the neighbors wife. You hide some income from the IRS and you peeked in the window to watch your best friend's sister change her clothes when you were a kid. You listen to the pill popper Rush Limbaugh on radio and read his books. And until recently you contributed heavily to Larry Craig's campaigns.

Get off you high horse and join the rest of us sinners and just apreciate the moment while the Dodgers are winning.
JohnandKen Rule

United States

#5 Jul 23, 2009
Just call him the "Juice"
nuf said

Woodland Hills, CA

#7 Jul 24, 2009
Dodger Dogs wrote:
A cheating steroid user is a hero in L.A. The same place that they have another hero that got out of a rape charge and paid millions for consensual sex. And before you get to excited, the Reds are in a tailfall for the last 3 weeks. They have lost 9 out of the last 12 games. Thier pitching staff at this time is maybe the worst in Baseball. When you can beat the Phillies 3 in a row then you can talk. The Reds are a pathetic team. I should know I have followed them since the 70's. There are some triple -A teams that could put up a better fight.
pretty much sums up the truth here
Matt

Long Beach, CA

#8 Jul 24, 2009
All these pathetic Dodger fans going ga ga over a home run by a known cheater.
Here We Go

Placentia, CA

#9 Jul 24, 2009
Matt wrote:
All these pathetic Dodger fans going ga ga over a home run by a known cheater.
I think you are simplifying it a lot.

It was a pinch hit GRAND SLAM by a player that was injured (albeit not seriously) the night before, on his bobblehead night, on the first pitch thrown to him, and it was hit into the section named after him.
Here We Go

Placentia, CA

#10 Jul 24, 2009
nuf said wrote:
<quoted text>
pretty much sums up the truth here
What is your response to how I responded to that quote on the other thread?

Many players from the past would have used steroids had they been available. Bob Gibson admitted have would, and so did Mike Schmidt (then he kind of retracted - too late in my book).

Where is the outrage over the respected Tony LaRussa getting a DUI for falling asleep at a stop light while driving his truck? His actions could have easily killed himself or someone else. In fact, about a month later, Cardinal reliever Josh Hancock did die in an alcohol related accident.

What Manny did was not something to be proud of. But where is the outrage over LaRussa and others like him?
JohnandKen Rule

United States

#11 Jul 24, 2009
Here We Go wrote:
<quoted text>
What is your response to how I responded to that quote on the other thread?
Many players from the past would have used steroids had they been available. Bob Gibson admitted have would, and so did Mike Schmidt (then he kind of retracted - too late in my book).
Where is the outrage over the respected Tony LaRussa getting a DUI for falling asleep at a stop light while driving his truck? His actions could have easily killed himself or someone else. In fact, about a month later, Cardinal reliever Josh Hancock did die in an alcohol related accident.
What Manny did was not something to be proud of. But where is the outrage over LaRussa and others like him?
They are all over paid big ego Scum. There you go.
Here We Go

Placentia, CA

#12 Jul 24, 2009
JohnandKen Rule wrote:
<quoted text>
They are all over paid big ego Scum. There you go.
You are only overpaid if you don't produce. Manny has done well every year he played.

Jerry Seinfeld made $85 million last year for doing almost nothing.
JohnandKen Rule

United States

#13 Jul 27, 2009
Last time I checked Jerry doesn't use steroids in order to produce.
matrix

Oklahoma City, OK

#14 Jul 27, 2009
Grand Slam

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Homer Bailey Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News MLB Teams That Will Be in Best Spot to Win 2013... (Feb '13) Apr '13 305YanksFan 4
News Cincinnati Reds: What's the Best Role for Arold... (Nov '12) Nov '12 mrredlegs 4
News Reds' Bailey no-hits Pirates 1-0 (Sep '12) Oct '12 DBowen 2
News Red Reposter rings in the new year (Jan '12) Jan '12 rose fan 1
News Bob Hunter commentary: Buck is latest Indians p... (May '11) May '11 Mo Jo Joe 5
News Reds on deck | The Columbus Dispatch (May '11) May '11 FLABUCK 1
News Reds put 5 players on DL (Mar '11) Apr '11 Anonymous 4
More from around the web