MLB Trade Rumors: San Francisco Giant...

MLB Trade Rumors: San Francisco Giants Sign Dontrelle Willis, but Why?

There are 2 comments on the BleacherReport story from Jul 16, 2010, titled MLB Trade Rumors: San Francisco Giants Sign Dontrelle Willis, but Why?. In it, BleacherReport reports that:

In some recess of his or her brain, every San Francisco Giants fan is thinking the same thing now that Dontrelle Willis has signed a Minor League contract with the club.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at BleacherReport.

Since: Aug 07

Sunnyvale, CA

#1 Jul 16, 2010
Why is it so hard to imagine? He was once one of the best pitchers in the majors. He once expressed love for the orange and black, during his glory days, and hoped to play here someday.

If it works, we have a great reliever and hitter on our team (he is working from the bullpen). If it doesn't, no biggee, we gave up nothing to give him a try.

flbadcatowner

“I call it as I see it.”

Since: Jul 09

Retirement City

#2 Jul 16, 2010
Sometimes a change of scenery can work wonders for a pitcher. Over the years, I have seen cases where a supposedly washed up pitcher has rejuvenated his careerwith a change of scenery. As a Yankee fan, I can name several who appeared to be finished only to pitch several strong seasons for the Pinstripers.

I can think of Pedro Ramos, who was nearly impossible to hit after being acquired in September of 1964 after an otherwise lackluster season. Without him, the Yankees most likely would never have won the pennant.

In 1968, The Yanks acquired a veteran pitcher from the Giants by the name of Lindy McDaniel who pitched with them until 1973 and except for an average year in 1969 and an off year in 1971, he pitched very well for the Yankees and became an immediate stopper in the bullpen. McDaniel was having an absolutely horrid year for the Giants until he was traded to New York.

There have been others such as Steve Howe, Dave LaRoche, Luis Arroyo, Phil Niekro, and Tommy John.

There have been many other aging pitchers who pitched effectively for other teams after being given up on by their former team such as Curt Simmons, Hoyt Wilhelm, and Doyle Alexander. Only time will if Dontrelle Willis will benefit from this change of scenery.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dontrelle Willis Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dodgers take it to the top (May '10) May '10 Looking Back 1
News Tigers hand Twins first series loss of season (Apr '10) May '10 tammy 32
News Detroit Tigers continue their fire sale (Mar '10) Mar '10 Chase A Jackson 1
News Tigers trade Nate Robertson - Pride of The Tigers (Mar '10) Mar '10 Ein Prosit 2
News Can the Tigers trust Willis with a rotation spo... (Mar '10) Mar '10 Old Sam 1
News Miguel Cabrera's alcohol-fueled domestic incide... (Oct '09) Oct '09 Another baseball fan 6
News Willis Agrees to 3-Year Deal With Tigers (Dec '07) Jun '09 JUAN YANES 2
More from around the web