Should Minnesota Twins call up top pr...

Should Minnesota Twins call up top prospect Kyle Gibson?

There are 12 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 12, 2011, titled Should Minnesota Twins call up top prospect Kyle Gibson?. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

As the Twins' season swirls down the toilet, the attention of many fans has turned to the future and, specifically, Kyle Gibson, the team's 2009 first-round draft pick who made a two-class climb through the system in his first pro season last year.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

jimbo92107

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 12, 2011
At this point, the decision on calling up Gibson should keep the young man's development in mind over the fate of this season. Will it help Gibson to get a taste of the majors, or would it be better for him to hone his skills with a little less pressure in Rochester?

In any case, Gibson's presence won't rescue the Twins, even if he pitches well. This team is such a mess right now. Other than Kubes, all the sluggers and RBI guys are injured or struggling. How do you win games if you don't score? Plus, the replacements are at best so-so fielders. Casilla is a total flop, Butera flips his wrists lamely at the ball, Rivera looks lost at the plate, and Tolbert is barely making contact.

Until the core players are healthy, this team will continue to lose over half its games. In other words, this season is already over. Let Gibson pitch wherever is best for Gibson. You might not even want him around a team that's playing worse than Rochester.
opTOMism

Cape Coral, FL

#2 May 13, 2011
Their biggest need is, AT LEAST, one GOOD starting pitcher!
brachiosaurus

Attleboro, MA

#3 May 13, 2011
Gibson won't come up until after the trade deadline and only if the Twins are indeed out of contention, as they are likely to be. The article is a waste. An insightful article about where the bullpen and the the infield are going in 2011 might have been more helpful, and interesting.
dennis

Akeley, MN

#4 May 13, 2011
brach****
Any info. on the Twins ... farm and future prospects etc. is good for the fans at this stage of the game. We know where the bullpen and infield are going in 2011....we do not need to hash that around anymore.
Scott in Orlando

Orlando, FL

#5 May 13, 2011
I believe that the team should avoid rushing him to the majors. If the Twins are out of contention and willing to trade a pitcher this summer, then yes - but the pressure will be off of him by then. Otherwise, wait until September call-ups. That way the team can monitor his progress at AAA and make the call on whether he is ready or deserving. He seems like a very good prospect, perhaps the best SP in the system, so they need to take care to develop him apporpriately.
Scott in Orlando

Orlando, FL

#6 May 13, 2011
brachiosaurus wrote:
Gibson won't come up until after the trade deadline and only if the Twins are indeed out of contention, as they are likely to be. The article is a waste. An insightful article about where the bullpen and the the infield are going in 2011 might have been more helpful, and interesting.
That's the struggle of writing an article on the Twins this year, especially on an off day. There is just not much good news right now!
Sugaree

Saint Paul, MN

#7 May 13, 2011
what should the Twins do? they should think about trading Morneausie. I would try to get some sucker to over compensate us for Mr MVP cement head.

Since: Apr 11

Minnetonka, MN

#8 May 13, 2011
The Twins are playing like an all rookie team right now...what could it hurt?
Gardy

Byron, MN

#9 May 13, 2011
The Twins should see if they can get one of the Yankees top catching prospects for glass-man Mauer and his bloated contract.
trolls

Hugo, MN

#10 May 13, 2011
jimbo92107 wrote:
At this point, the decision on calling up Gibson should keep the young man's development in mind over the fate of this season. Will it help Gibson to get a taste of the majors, or would it be better for him to hone his skills with a little less pressure in Rochester?
In any case, Gibson's presence won't rescue the Twins, even if he pitches well. This team is such a mess right now. Other than Kubes, all the sluggers and RBI guys are injured or struggling. How do you win games if you don't score? Plus, the replacements are at best so-so fielders. Casilla is a total flop, Butera flips his wrists lamely at the ball, Rivera looks lost at the plate, and Tolbert is barely making contact.
Until the core players are healthy, this team will continue to lose over half its games. In other words, this season is already over. Let Gibson pitch wherever is best for Gibson. You might not even want him around a team that's playing worse than Rochester.
I agree with your post, but I don't see what the harm is in bringing him up late in the year, just to see what kind of stuff he has against the best talent. He certainly won't "save this season" as you said. But lets see how good he really is, I say bring him up with a month left to play and let him get 3 or 4 major league starts under his belt.
Elvis

San Francisco, CA

#11 May 13, 2011
Sugaree wrote:
what should the Twins do? they should think about trading Morneausie. I would try to get some sucker to over compensate us for Mr MVP cement head.
mudduck

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#12 May 13, 2011
Call the kid up, he has to learn to do things the "Twins way," He will be on the DL within 2 weeks with a phantom injury

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Denard Span Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Poll: Where will ex-Tiger Brennan Boesch play n... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Jammer Man 2
News Twins 8, Red Sox 3: Minnesota snaps out of its ... (May '11) May '11 Amtrekman 3
News Playing within himself, Twins shortstopTrevor P... (May '11) May '11 brachiosaurus 4
News Minnesota Twins base-running antics continue (May '11) May '11 Army CPT at Ft Lee 2
News Misery loves company: White Sox have sputtered ... (May '11) May '11 Scott in Orlando 1
News Normally reserved Denard Span turns vocal leade... (May '11) May '11 app 9
News Video: Jim Thome as Paul Bunyan (Apr '11) Apr '11 wtf 19
More from around the web