Who will step to plate for Mets? -

Who will step to plate for Mets? -

There are 15 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 30, 2007, titled Who will step to plate for Mets? -. In it, Newsday reports that:

PHILADELPHIA Go ahead and obsess over CB Bucknor's controversial, game-ending call, but if you do, you're missing the Mets' big picture.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Brutal collapse

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Aug 30, 2007
happening this season. This team will go through a massive transition in the offseason.
Charles

New York, NY

#2 Aug 30, 2007
Regardless of what happens in today's game, the Mets are done. They can't beat even the lowliest (and in some cases, oldest pitchers) and now they head into Atlanta where they have always failed miserably.

Forget Pedro. Designate Mota for reassignment. Release Delgado. Fire Willie Randolph; he's never taking this team to the "promised land" because he lacks all of the requisite baseball acumen. He keeps talking about "turning the page," let's turn the page on his Mets' managerial career now and let someone else run the team. Willie might have been better off managing a struggling, small market American league team to hone his managerial skills, then he might have been ready for prime time.
Phil

Chicago, IL

#3 Aug 30, 2007
I'm a New Yorker who has lived in suburban Philly for 20 years. These games have had the electricity of a playoff atmosphere. The key is that it is the Phillies generating all of the electrictiy - not the Mets. They do not look like a first place team; they look like they're choking. For other teams at other times, a leader or two steps forward. So far, it hasn't happened. So the questions for the Mets are "Who will?", and "When?" It's getting late.
Rocco

United States

#4 Aug 30, 2007
"As Reyes goes, the Mets go" I have heard that about 100 times this year. Well Reyes is 0-4 (games) and the Mets are 0-4 (games). Where's the coaching, how about sitting the guy a night or two? It certainly won't hurt us in the short run! May bennefit us in the long. How about Castillo? Castillo can barely make it down the first base line. Where's the coaching... "We’re putting too much pressure on our middle lineup to produce" What is the middle lineup there for? We're talking about million dollar players. Are consecutive base hits too much to ask from the middle lineup? Where's the logic and where's the coaching... Delgado finally decides to hit for a base. What a concept. Milledge sitting dead red and swinging for the fences. I can rant on, but how about taking measure of your players and play the ones who want to play as a team (selfless service) and not an individual. Where’s the BLOODY coaching………â
MetsPitchingSuck s

Houston, TX

#5 Aug 30, 2007
Wagner, Schoweneis, Feliciano, Mota, Sele, Perez, Maine, Humber, Pelfrey, Lawrence, Sosa...Pack it in, the 2007 season is lost and the mets will lose out of the NL east lead and the wild card. All because Minaya believes you can win without pitching! Putz!
SMHSE

Pearl River, NY

#6 Aug 30, 2007
Looks like it's almost that time to start clearing house starting with Omar and then Willie. Omar and the hispanic Mets must go. This guy keeps giving up young talent for some old has been hispanic player. This last game against the Phillies (the sweep) was reminiscent of the old last place Mets teams. They seem like a dying bunch (buried alive). The teams of the past (the losing ones) would loss games like this. A first place team doesn't lose games like this one and doesn't loss the series for that matter either (at least a draw should of been accomplished). Mark my words, the Phillies will over take the Mets and finish 5 games in front of them by the end of the season. Omar's rein should be over and Willie's time may have to be up as well.
Jim

AOL

#7 Aug 30, 2007
Let's see now, Who will step up???
My guess is: Elio Chacon
Can you spell C-H-O-K-E ???
As a Yankee fan who listened to all the trash talking all season, I am just loving every minute of this free fall!!! Oh well, no time to gloat, gotta get to Atlanta!
NYMbaseball31

AOL

#8 Aug 30, 2007
Judging by his outstanding performance in today's game, albeit in a losing effort, David Wright is the one who will step up and carry this team. He's at the point in his career now where he's earned enough respect from veteran teammates to take charge.
help-I_cant_mana ge

Sugar Land, TX

#9 Aug 30, 2007
Ok, what do I do....I know I'll send in Billy Wagner to pitch SIX innings...yeah that's the ticket!
ANCIENT METS FAN

United States

#10 Aug 30, 2007
These games have had the electricity of a playoff atmosphere.

ITS NOT THE PLAYOFFS. IF IT WAS--THE PHILLIES WOULD HAVE LOST. HAVE ALL THE FUN NOW. PHILLIES HAVE HISTORY BEHIND THEM: THE MLB RECORD FOR MOST LOSSES. DO NOT FORGET YOUR HISTORY.
ANCIENT METS FAN

United States

#11 Aug 30, 2007
SMHSE wrote:
Omar and the hispanic Mets must go. This guy keeps giving up young talent for some old has been hispanic player.
HEY MORON YOUR THE REAL LOSER. WHY DO YOU HAVE TO COMMENT ON THE ETHNICITY OF THE TEAM? I GUESS YOUR CULTURE IS FLAWLESS AND PERFECT. FORTUNATELY, YOUR NOT RUNNING THE TEAM. OMAR STEPPED IN AND THE METS BEGIN TO WIN. SORRY THE METS FACES ARE NOT TO YOUR LIKING. READ A BOOK ABOUT THE LIFE OF JACKIE ROBINSON.
Jim

AOL

#12 Aug 30, 2007
ANCIENT METS FAN wrote:
These games have had the electricity of a playoff atmosphere.
ITS NOT THE PLAYOFFS. IF IT WAS--THE PHILLIES WOULD HAVE LOST. HAVE ALL THE FUN NOW. PHILLIES HAVE HISTORY BEHIND THEM: THE MLB RECORD FOR MOST LOSSES. DO NOT FORGET YOUR HISTORY.
As a Mets fan, do you really want to discuss having a losing tradition???
xxxxxx

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Aug 30, 2007
david wright has really been stepping up , yet its impossible to do it all by himself so everyone else on this team should follow suite, & WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!
& to all yankee fans- keep to ur own pages. u guyz are just soooooo funny im dying from laughter.
Jim

AOL

#14 Aug 30, 2007
xxxxxx wrote:
david wright has really been stepping up , yet its impossible to do it all by himself so everyone else on this team should follow suite, & WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!
& to all yankee fans- keep to ur own pages. u guyz are just soooooo funny im dying from laughter.
OK we'll hope everyone follows suit and goes to a suite.
xxxxxx

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Aug 31, 2007
oh my its just a stupid e.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

David Wells Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dodgers players get chance at Torre's job for a... (Sep '10) Sep '10 So Whats New 1
News Wells not perfect, but still speaks his mind (Aug '08) Aug '08 Jeff S 1
News Wells still wants to play, but no one's offering (May '08) May '08 Dante Ransom 1
News Notes: Bard becoming workhorse (Aug '07) Sep '07 pierrre-paul 2
News Helton's walk-off homer lifts Rockies to 2nd wi... (Sep '07) Sep '07 Rocky Fan 17
News Davidoff: Who will step up for the Mets? -- amN... (Aug '07) Aug '07 Mets Fan Since 67 1
News Davidoff: Who will step up for the Mets? - (Aug '07) Aug '07 verizon online 2
More from around the web