Giants, White Sox differ on Crede's v...

Giants, White Sox differ on Crede's value

There are 40 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 13, 2008, titled Giants, White Sox differ on Crede's value. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The difference in opinion over the value of Joe Crede is about as wide as the gap between the White Sox third baseman's 2006 Silver Slugger Award season and his .080 spring average.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Patrick

United States

#22 Mar 14, 2008
Looks easy wrote:
<quoted text>
Value is determined by what will be returned, not what is asked.
Market value is determined by what the buyer and seller agree it is. KW has overplayed his hand here. The Giants have significant debt service and are not going to give up top prospects and then pay top dollar for an aging, back surgery recovering, Boras-represented weak hitting 3rd baseman (outside of 2006). Why KW thought Crede was worth real prospects is anyone's guess. Sox fans still see Crede hitting that clutch HR in the playoffs; the rest of the league sees Crede hitting into double plays. This guy is worth nothing given the current state of the market, his current expiring contract and the fact that he is one of the most overrated players in the league. He will play for the Sox this year and then go with no compensation.
Tony

Clermont, FL

#23 Mar 14, 2008
Hardliner wrote:
<quoted text>
Who will then play third when Credes back gives out?
Uribe.
this sounds like

Libertyville, IL

#24 Mar 14, 2008
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you about 15? And that is not the definition of value. Try this new thing called a dictionary.
The value hasn't been determined yet, but Crede is more valuable than players that are being released outright.
All right boys, I'm out. Have a great day.
definition: value.....
the amount (of money or goods or services) that is considered to be a fair equivalent for something else---

What is wrong with you people?
I hope this makes this easy for you:
if you have $1.00, you may want a new car but you will more than likely find no auto dealer to give you a new car . Is that so hard?
MikeR

United States

#25 Mar 14, 2008
No one can dispute Crede's value as a defensive 3rd baseman. Crede can help win games without hitting. The hits will come. Most of you think way to far in advance - like what will the Sox have in 09 or 10. 2008 is the only thing that matters.
Chad

Schaumburg, IL

#26 Mar 14, 2008
Basically they offered the sox A worthless single A guy, Dave Roberts who is like 500 years old and some buster that couldn't even make a roster spot? You are all mad cause the sox are holding out for more? The offer is crap I would keep Crede, unless they give us atleast one good player, and let Fields or Joe learn to play LF.
Apollo

Cicero, IL

#27 Mar 14, 2008
Why can't Fields learn to play second base? That would solve all our problems, except for the outfield.......
And the starting rotation......
JBZ

Indianapolis, IN

#28 Mar 14, 2008
Everybody can't be right in assessing Crede's value. If Boras tells Crede not to sign a new deal with anybody until the end of the season he obviously believes he can get him a high value contract. Either Boras is wrong (not typical of his past negotiations)or your opinions are wrong. Apparently Williams and Boras are on the same page as to his value. The Giants deal is ^%%$# no matter what Crede's value truly is in the marketplace. I say he ends up with the Dodgers and we get back a couple of pitchers that Williams will say have great potential. Hitting in the NL West is easy compared to the AL. Crede's defense will be there and his average will go up just like Rowands did when he moved to the NL.
what

United States

#29 Mar 14, 2008
JBZ wrote:
Everybody can't be right in assessing Crede's value. If Boras tells Crede not to sign a new deal with anybody until the end of the season he obviously believes he can get him a high value contract. Either Boras is wrong (not typical of his past negotiations)or your opinions are wrong. Apparently Williams and Boras are on the same page as to his value. The Giants deal is ^%%$# no matter what Crede's value truly is in the marketplace. I say he ends up with the Dodgers and we get back a couple of pitchers that Williams will say have great potential. Hitting in the NL West is easy compared to the AL. Crede's defense will be there and his average will go up just like Rowands did when he moved to the NL.
to say,"Hitting in the NL West is easy compared to the AL."
is flat out nuts.
The NL west has by far the best pitching in the majors.It's not even close.
Credes value will be determined on the open market, this has nothing to do with the current situation Kenny W. put his team in. His current value is based on his histiory as a player, his projections forward,his heath & his contrct.
Big Tom Sr

United States

#30 Mar 14, 2008
bill wrote:
when jim thome gets injured, josh fields can be the DH.
Agreed there is not enough big league hitters on this team and if one of them goes down we will be looking for another bat in a hurry. Keep Crede, worst case (if noone gets injured) I would rather see Fields or Crede at 2B like Ryno then the clowns they are screwing around with now.
what

United States

#31 Mar 14, 2008
Big Tom Sr wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed there is not enough big league hitters on this team and if one of them goes down we will be looking for another bat in a hurry. Keep Crede, worst case (if noone gets injured) I would rather see Fields or Crede at 2B like Ryno then the clowns they are screwing around with now.
Ryno played his minor league career at SS, therby making the transition to 2nd more tenable, to consider either Crede or Fields at 2nd is laughable.
Josh Burnett

San Jose, CA

#32 Mar 14, 2008
Kenny Williams is nuts if he thinks he's going to get that kind of return for Joe Crede. Even without the health issues, he's only had ONE above-average offensive season in his career.

On the other hand, as a Giants' fan, I'm amazed Brian Sabean didn't jump at the chance to throw away talent on such a stupid trade. That's normally his speciality.
Mr Happy

Elkhart, IN

#33 Mar 14, 2008
Chad wrote:
Basically they offered the sox A worthless single A guy, Dave Roberts who is like 500 years old and some buster that couldn't even make a roster spot? You are all mad cause the sox are holding out for more? The offer is crap I would keep Crede, unless they give us atleast one good player, and let Fields or Joe learn to play LF.
No,
just upset that Kenni contributed to his diminished value by going public,AGAIN.
And that kenni appears to have no clue about his own players true market value.
Patrick

United States

#34 Mar 14, 2008
Josh Burnett wrote:
Kenny Williams is nuts if he thinks he's going to get that kind of return for Joe Crede. Even without the health issues, he's only had ONE above-average offensive season in his career.
On the other hand, as a Giants' fan, I'm amazed Brian Sabean didn't jump at the chance to throw away talent on such a stupid trade. That's normally his speciality.
You are exactly right. Sox fans are so starved for talent that they tend to see anyone that can hit over .250 as the next A-Rod. It is pathetic and apparently this practice has been adopted by Kenny Williams who seems to think Gavin Floyd is a real major league pitcher despite a mountain of evidence to the contrary.
Tony

Saint Petersburg, FL

#35 Mar 14, 2008
Josh Burnett wrote:
Congrats.I guess your GM isn't as dumb as ours...
lappy

San Jose, CA

#36 Mar 14, 2008
Can't trade Paulie, who will DH when Thome goes down with a bad "fill in the blank"?
Uribe at third?!? Have you watched the last two seasons? I'd like to see Uribe...anywhere but here. Sure he can carry a team for a week, unfortunately he'll hit .034 for the next three weeks...or more. I love his arm at SS, but he has no concentration.
I really like Joe. His clutch hits are wonderful. His D has been slipping, though.
Nice problem to have in Fields, actually. I think it's his time.
We all hated when Robin left, but it worked out. Hopefully this will too.
Just don't get swindled Kenny...I can't believe I typed that...
will

AOL

#37 Mar 14, 2008
Face it Uribe is the only guy on the team that can play 3b when Crede gets hurt or traded for a middle reliever. Fields has no movement to his left. Nor movement in on slow rollers. Put Fields at 1b and trade Paulie while you can still get something for him. Dump Thome salary and resign big Frank. Anderson looks great in the spring. Put Dye at DH and let Anderson play Right field.
hector

AOL

#39 Mar 14, 2008
Hank wrote:
The Iguchi deal STILL gets me steamed.
Iguichi what ever happen to him. Is he still in the bigs?
stephen senecoff

Flint, MI

#40 Mar 16, 2008
the giants are stuck with the same kind of g.m. that you are.i say trade crede for any thing they give you .he won.t rever for 2 years and then he,ll be a free agent
Giant Fan

Elk Grove, CA

#41 Mar 17, 2008
As my name applies I am a Giant fan, and I have to say Williamson & Messenger for Crede is low ball. Now chances are you will see D.Roberts in White Sox uniform but you will not see any of the 2007 draft picks that was mentioned in the article. The Giants are very high on the two pitchers they picked in the draft.
Apollo

Cicero, IL

#42 Mar 21, 2008
Giant Fan wrote:
As my name applies I am a Giant fan, and I have to say Williamson & Messenger for Crede is low ball. Now chances are you will see D.Roberts in White Sox uniform but you will not see any of the 2007 draft picks that was mentioned in the article. The Giants are very high on the two pitchers they picked in the draft.
I like the way you think. If the Sox can get Roberts for Crede, they should go for it hands down, but I am kinda doubtful it will be offered. I have e feeling Crede's gonna be in a sox uniform when the season begins.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Dave Roberts Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New Giant Samardzija relishes rivalry with Dodgers Mar '16 Go Irish 1
News Ex-Giants outfielder Dave Roberts battling cancer (May '10) May '10 Magdy in Saudi Ar... 2
News Missing Barry Bonds... (Jun '09) Aug '09 rway 4
News Chicago White Sox counting on Dewayne Wise and ... (Apr '09) Apr '09 gtfooh 21
News Phil Rogers' Major League Baseball whispers (Mar '09) Mar '09 TOM 4
News Giants' Lewis could be backup at all 3 outfield... (Mar '08) Sep '08 giants 2
News Giants can't figure out which way to go (Aug '08) Aug '08 Timmy 7
More from around the web