World of confidence

World of confidence

There are 6 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 19, 2009, titled World of confidence. In it, Newsday reports that:

MIAMI Now, about David Wright 's inability to produce in the clutch ... The Hall of Fame people called the Mets third baseman yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Ken Davidoff

Port Orange, FL

#1 Mar 19, 2009
Just for the record, I cannot throw a baseball from home plate to the pitcher's mound, I have never hit a pitched baseball (although my college classmates use to call me a good catcher), I run like a little boy (arms flailing all over the place), and I was voted biggest nerd in high school (all four years), but man, do I know baseball!
New Yorker in Florida

Tampa, FL

#2 Mar 19, 2009
Nobody can get in Wright's head and claim they know what he was doing wrong in the many RBI situations that he failed to come thru last year (and in playoffs of 2006).
BUT....the big WBC hit he got was indicative of what I think he has failed to do more consistently for the Mets.
He went the other way (went with the pitch).
His home runs are appreciated but I sometimes wish they were mostly doubles. I am sure he would deny it (and he is the only one that would really know) but it seems to me that he goes thru too many stretches where he is looking to get 3 RBI with runners on 1st and 3rd rather than that ONE RBI.
The difference is that he becomes a guy that lowers his percentage by forcing the issue rather than taking what is given. I perceive it this way because I have seen few young hitters than can hit to all fields as well as Wright can and still pull the ball for home runs when the pitcher leaves one out. But he is much less formidable when he is looking for that home run.
Best David Wright: 25 HR, 125 RBI,.330 BA
Not as good in clutch David Wright: 33 HR, 125 RBI,.300 BA

“Wilma”

Since: Oct 07

Yonkers

#3 Mar 19, 2009
Los Mets.....countdown to the Sept. collapse.
Joe Torre

New York, NY

#4 Mar 19, 2009
nostephanfan wrote:
Los Mets.....countdown to the Sept. collapse.
So, when will you be sucking Jeter's bat, Troll Boy?
Wallace Matthews

Topeka, KS

#5 Mar 19, 2009
Joe Torre wrote:
<quoted text>
After he's done with A-roid.

“Wilma”

Since: Oct 07

Yonkers

#6 Mar 19, 2009
Joe Torre wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mother siad to stay away....It's ALL hers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daniel Murphy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daniel Murphy is spot on regrading the "Gay Lif... Mar '15 BayAreaVoice 1
News The Davis Dilemma: Deal Him or Deal with Him? (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sammy 1
News David Wright Injury: Updates on Mets 3B's Hamst... (Aug '13) Aug '13 XFlushing Fan 1
News Gee, strange play send Mets over Nationals 5-1 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom2Tone 1
News Daniel Murphy is New York Mets' Most Overrated ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 XFlushing Fan 1
News Mets Notes from the First Official Day of Sprin... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Injury costs Murphy two to six weeks (Apr '10) Sep '12 Pearl L 2
More from around the web