Shorthanded Mets band together to beat Cardinals

There are 20 comments on the Jun 22, 2009, Newsday story titled Shorthanded Mets band together to beat Cardinals. In it, Newsday reports that:

New York Mets' Daniel Murphy is congratulated in the dugout after hitting a home run during the fifth inning Shortly after Carlos Beltran landed on the disabled list yesterday, the latest blow to his reeling Mets team, Jerry Manuel was asked how they would cope with another gaping hole in their roster.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
KJ from Queens

United States

#43 Jun 23, 2009
Pat from babylon wrote:
They played with HEART last I night. It was a wake up call for the second stringers. Phils lose 6 in a row. It won't last though, but the METS will hang in there waiting for August. I still believe.
I agree, they showed some real emotion and grit. That's why I believe that some of those "core" guys need to be traded....the overall character of the Mets stink....got to get REAL ballplayer in that locker room.
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#44 Jun 23, 2009
You see you have it all wrong my racist friend. We don't think the Mets are soo good, we just don't want you and other arrogant, frontrunning yankee fans talking smack here because your team isn't that much better. Your OF sucks and the baserunning, how about your boy Swisher is atrocious too. You have at least 4 players that should be strickly DH's and need bed rest or else you lose to the worst team in the majors. Your offense relies on a choke artist who's recovering from major hip surgery and your manager is clueless especially playing NL teams when he is required to actually THINK. Your pitching is vastly over rated, Joba and Mariano scare noone anymore and it's only a matter of time before the Rays pass you.
What's sad and funny is your prediction that this fractured team is going to the WS. Unless you like cardboard boxes don't bet the house..
los mets wrote:
<quoted text>
true - every article I read, or people I see on various TV channels all say los mets are a slopply team. They compete in the weakest division in all baseball. Even if they didnt choke yet again, they will never make it through the playoffs given the other national league teams (dodgers for one) are vastly better . They dont hustle, make a ton of mistakes fielding, have a manager who is constantly saying he made mistakes, yet only on this board do you see the mentally challenged, housebound, invalid and other social rejects say how good los mets are. if it were so sad it would be funny
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#45 Jun 23, 2009
Stats like he has, help win games. They've finished above .500 since Reyes and Wrights first full season in 05. Don't know what you're talking about and neither do you.
jimsha wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, stats are nice, yet we are a 500 club with or without him.
kat

Pompano Beach, FL

#46 Jun 23, 2009
los mets wrote:
<quoted text>
true - every article I read, or people I see on various TV channels all say los mets are a slopply team. They compete in the weakest division in all baseball. Even if they didnt choke yet again, they will never make it through the playoffs given the other national league teams (dodgers for one) are vastly better . They dont hustle, make a ton of mistakes fielding, have a manager who is constantly saying he made mistakes, yet only on this board do you see the mentally challenged, housebound, invalid and other social rejects say how good los mets are. if it were so sad it would be funny
. I have come to the conclusion that you, girlie-boy mets choke and freakazoid, noset... were all hatched from the same woumb, you are so fricken retarded, you make fun of the NL east yet the Yankees are fortunate to have any wins against Mets, Phillies and Nats, Skankees cant get 1 win, not 1 win against the Red-Sox and they will be overtaken by the Rays by the All star break. Answer this you f*ck***n moron
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#47 Jun 23, 2009
Hysterical almost as funny as the super Yankees losing to teams who's payrolls are less than the best player on the planets.. cough, cough, choke.
El Viejo wrote:
<quoted text>
Not even the traffic is.
NYMets

Budd Lake, NJ

#48 Jun 23, 2009
Will, you and Sterling are funny and tell it like it is. I, for one, just don't bother to answer ignorant people who should be worried about their team, instead of coming to this Mets forum to write crap.
I just hope that this coming weekend we show them AGAIN that, even though we're playing on crutches, we're still the better team.
Let's Go Mets!...
Bambino

Bronx, NY

#50 Jun 23, 2009
No more Tatis!
He's a sure DP
Jerry, did you ever hear of a hit & Run play???

ETR

“Hello boys.....”

Since: Aug 07

.......I'm baaaaaaaaaaaack!!!!

#51 Jun 23, 2009
Bambino wrote:
No more Tatis!
He's a sure DP
Jerry, did you ever hear of a hit & Run play???
True, but he swings and misses more often than he hits into DP's. It would be a DP none the less. Simplest solution is to sit him but there's no one else left healthy....

Since: Mar 07

Trenton, NJ

#52 Jun 23, 2009
Last night one of the worst players in the majors (Tatis) got thrown out at third for the final out of an inning thus ending a rally. The day before Valdez did the same thing. i've seen this happen numerous times this season. This is just one example of how bad manuel is at teaching the simplest fundamentals of the game. Maybe it's just Minaya's fault for signing clueless players.
jimsha

Hauppauge, NY

#53 Jun 23, 2009
los mets wrote:
<quoted text>
true - every article I read, or people I see on various TV channels all say los mets are a slopply team. They compete in the weakest division in all baseball. Even if they didnt choke yet again, they will never make it through the playoffs given the other national league teams (dodgers for one) are vastly better . They dont hustle, make a ton of mistakes fielding, have a manager who is constantly saying he made mistakes, yet only on this board do you see the mentally challenged, housebound, invalid and other social rejects say how good los mets are. if it were so sad it would be funny
The problem is that Met fans, and maybe rightly so, are so hungry for a winning club that they attach undeserved greatness to this group (specifically the core) and refuse to see what the truth is with these guys. For in fact, although above average in talent, not one of them aspires toward greatness,(less santana), and are completely happy with whatever befalls them, win, lose or tie. There is no drive within that can propell them to greatness, so mediocrity will always be the lot of this team.

“That's Un-Possible!”

Since: Jan 08

Brookhaven Hamlet, Long Island

#54 Jun 23, 2009
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Real original loser!
You're absolutely right, Jay.

Nostephfan IS the original loser...
Gil Hodges

Moriches, NY

#55 Jun 23, 2009
NYMets wrote:
'Gil Hodges', there weren't any key injuries in 1973, except for the one Rusty Staub suffered in the post-season (I still believe that had he not hurt his right shoulder we would have beaten the A's). Our core team that year was Milner, Millan, Harrelson, Garrett, Jones, Hahn and Staub, with decent fill-ins by Teddy Martinez, Ken Boswell and Ed Kranepool, among others.
We had the pitching though. We had Seaver with a 19-10 record, a 2.08 ERA and 19 Complete Games. We had Koosman and Matlack. Both had losing seasons even though their ERAs were phenomenal (2.84 and 3.20, respectively), and we had George Stone who was 8-3 and 2.80. Out of the bullpen we had McGraw, Sadecki and Harry Parker.
The hitting was lousy that year but the pitching and defense was outstanding and it carried us to the WS. There was spirit in that team, too (remember Buddy fighting Pete Rose?).
Thanks, I stand corrected. Maybe I expressed myself incorrectly; the vibe I'm getting from this group is the same as what I saw from that 73 team
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#56 Jun 23, 2009
Kat they are useless. When you give them the real facts about their team this year they run and hide or scream 26 duh rings.. Los mets is a real hypocrite or not too bright rooting for Yankeebeisbol and their best player, Choke-Roid who's hispanic.
kat wrote:
<quoted text>. I have come to the conclusion that you, girlie-boy mets choke and freakazoid, noset... were all hatched from the same woumb, you are so fricken retarded, you make fun of the NL east yet the Yankees are fortunate to have any wins against Mets, Phillies and Nats, Skankees cant get 1 win, not 1 win against the Red-Sox and they will be overtaken by the Rays by the All star break. Answer this you f*ck***n moron
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#57 Jun 23, 2009
You really are are no Met fan referring to them as THEY.. How the f___k do you known how these guys felt after they lost the last two years. Let me take a wild guess who's great in your book.. Jeter? How about A-Roid? Think he's crying all winter after he's chiefly responsible for all the quick playoff exits while he's counting his kazillions or posing for some stupid mag?!.... REAL fans root for their team and their players no matter what. If thats what you call giving them 'undeserved' greatness then so be it. Can't handle it as a Met fan? Then jump on the yankee bandwagon, that payroll will guarantee you an over .500 team every year. Adios!!
jimsha wrote:
<quoted text>
The problem is that Met fans, and maybe rightly so, are so hungry for a winning club that they attach undeserved greatness to this group (specifically the core) and refuse to see what the truth is with these guys. For in fact, although above average in talent, not one of them aspires toward greatness,(less santana), and are completely happy with whatever befalls them, win, lose or tie. There is no drive within that can propell them to greatness, so mediocrity will always be the lot of this team.
Bill

Boiling Springs, SC

#58 Jun 23, 2009
The pattern for the past couple of series is win game 1 and lose the next 2.Lets hope we break that trend tonite.
Got away with bad decision by Razor Shines sending Santos, if catcher handles throw, he's out by a mile.
the preacher

Indianapolis, IN

#59 Jun 23, 2009
I'm tired of reading trashy mets cybersites such as NYFS, grandslamsingle.com , and the mofo.any such thing as an intelligent mets fan site on the internet is a lie. I'll read lennon
Will

Forest Hills, NY

#60 Jun 23, 2009
NY Mets you are wrong. The 1973 team was 12 games below .500 in mid-August and in last place. They had many injuries and only two regulars played more than 150 games, Rusty Staub(152) and Felix Millan(153) the rest of the starters were on the DL for length periods. Here's the breakdown of the games the starters played. Milner 1B, 95 games; Grote C, 84 games(There was no platoon, Dyer got time because Grote was injured); Garret 3B, 130 games; Harrelson SS, 103 games, Jones LF, 73 games; Hahn CF, 83 games.. Hopefully the 2009 team can get the injured guys well and put a run together too.. Let's go Mets!!
NYMets wrote:
'Gil Hodges', there weren't any key injuries in 1973, except for the one Rusty Staub suffered in the post-season (I still believe that had he not hurt his right shoulder we would have beaten the A's). Our core team that year was Milner, Millan, Harrelson, Garrett, Jones, Hahn and Staub, with decent fill-ins by Teddy Martinez, Ken Boswell and Ed Kranepool, among others.
We had the pitching though. We had Seaver with a 19-10 record, a 2.08 ERA and 19 Complete Games. We had Koosman and Matlack. Both had losing seasons even though their ERAs were phenomenal (2.84 and 3.20, respectively), and we had George Stone who was 8-3 and 2.80. Out of the bullpen we had McGraw, Sadecki and Harry Parker.
The hitting was lousy that year but the pitching and defense was outstanding and it carried us to the WS. There was spirit in that team, too (remember Buddy fighting Pete Rose?).
skoonix

Culver City, CA

#61 Jun 23, 2009
With beltran now down - I am shaking my head with worry - injuries happen to all teams but this seems like a voodoo curse or something - new stadium jinx anybody? But even with Beltran, Maine, Perez, reyes, Delagado, Putz hurt - I still think this team can keep winning. Luckily the Phils got killed in Interleague and we sit 1 and a half games out of first. It was a big win last night and I like Murphy and just hope he can keep hitting and I was so appreciative of what Tatis did last year but if i see him ground into one more double play I'm gonna scream. GO METS!
Jeri Kelley

Scottsdale, AZ

#62 Jun 23, 2009
Manuel continues to play with players careers by not giving them consistent chances in the lineup. I would think as a coach, he would know to hit consistent, you must play as much as possible, not be put in after no play for 10 straight games and expect them to hit.....STUPIDITY!!!!!
no clue

North Bergen, NJ

#63 Jun 23, 2009
los mets wrote:
<quoted text>
true - every article I read, or people I see on various TV channels all say los mets are a slopply team. They compete in the weakest division in all baseball. Even if they didnt choke yet again, they will never make it through the playoffs given the other national league teams (dodgers for one) are vastly better . They dont hustle, make a ton of mistakes fielding, have a manager who is constantly saying he made mistakes, yet only on this board do you see the mentally challenged, housebound, invalid and other social rejects say how good los mets are. if it were so sad it would be funny
Ok - you hate this team, thats cool, but why do you post every day how much they suck and how much you hate them? Why not just move on to something you like and think is good.........is your life that empty?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daniel Murphy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daniel Murphy is spot on regrading the "Gay Lif... Mar '15 BayAreaVoice 1
News The Davis Dilemma: Deal Him or Deal with Him? (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sammy 1
News David Wright Injury: Updates on Mets 3B's Hamst... (Aug '13) Aug '13 XFlushing Fan 1
News Gee, strange play send Mets over Nationals 5-1 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom2Tone 1
News Daniel Murphy is New York Mets' Most Overrated ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 XFlushing Fan 1
News Mets Notes from the First Official Day of Sprin... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Injury costs Murphy two to six weeks (Apr '10) Sep '12 Pearl L 2
More from around the web