Despite All-Star invite, Wright is anything but of late

Full story: Newsday

PHILADELPHIA The All-Star invitation to St. Louis was sitting in the top cubicle of David Wright 's locker Sunday as he answered question after question about getting swept by the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park.
Comments
21 - 25 of 25 Comments Last updated Jul 7, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
MinnyJohn

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

David, stop trying to hit a 5-run homer every AB and take the damn WALK. If they're not going to throw you strikes, at least you can get on base. You aren't the only one on this team who can drive in runs.
New Yorker in Florida

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

I posted before the season started that Wright would be a better RBI guy if he hit the ball to RF more often and had higher BA and doubles vs. more HR. But I could not have figured what that translated to without Reyes being on base as would be expected. It's difficult to sort out how well Wright and Beltran should do without having Reyes in the mix. So I support the idea that these guys are having a tough go at it with the lineup as it is.
BUT.......as far as being tired - better left unsaid, play 158 games (or so) and fight your way into the playoffs and then have the writers say the players are tired sometime in November. Anything else sounds stupid for those of us that have witnessed good (not even great) ballplayers do as much for this hardly over-achieving franchise. David is making the excuse but I don't want to hear it from the writer either.
I like Wright as a player far too much to put him down but I am hoping that he becomes a little more clutch than what we have seen so far.

Regarding the high BA and strikeouts;
I can only recall Andreas Galarraga having these types of numbers. Hard to figure out why.
New Yorker in Florida

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

I apologize for the underlined words that seem to lead to totally unrelated links on my previous post.
I had nothing to do with them and don't know how it happens.
New Yorker in Florida

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

Now the underlined words with links have gone to normal - so sorry again.
Also sorry to not have typed the word "not" regarding Wright making excuses.
I meant to write - David is NOT making the excuse but I don't want to hear it from the writer either.
tomkaz

Mahwah, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 7, 2009

i now refer to the mets stadium as 'PityField" (TM) as in may the lord have pity on me for watching such bad baseball!! please send help soon!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Daniel Murphy Discussions

Search the Daniel Murphy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Davis Dilemma: Deal Him or Deal with Him? (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sammy 1
David Wright Injury: Updates on Mets 3B's Hamst... (Aug '13) Aug '13 XFlushing Fan 1
Gee, strange play send Mets over Nationals 5-1 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom2Tone 1
Daniel Murphy is New York Mets' Most Overrated ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 XFlushing Fan 1
Mets Notes from the First Official Day of Sprin... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Mets Fan Forever 1
Injury costs Murphy two to six weeks (Apr '10) Sep '12 Pearl L 2
2013 Trade Candidate: Daniel Murphy (Sep '12) Sep '12 XFlushing Fan 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••