Wallace Matthews: Don't expect Gary S...

Wallace Matthews: Don't expect Gary Sheffield to stay long

There are 10 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 3, 2009, titled Wallace Matthews: Don't expect Gary Sheffield to stay long. In it, Newsday reports that:

No clubhouse is complete without a cancer, and Friday, on the occasion of their first game at Troubled Assets Relief Program Field , the Mets put the finishing touch on their brand-new clubhouse.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

statement

Gainesville, FL

#1 Apr 3, 2009
Some of what Matthews says I believe to be true. I;m surorised!!
Stratford Resident

Waterbury, CT

#2 Apr 3, 2009
I was against the signing of Sheffield until Wally the hack knocked it.
Whowrotethis

New York, NY

#3 Apr 3, 2009
What a piece of trash. Comparing Sheffield to Manny? A little matter of over $20 million makes that ridiculous.

And get a life with the TARP jokes - virtually every bank on that list has a naming right deal someplace. It's called marketing. If whoever wrote this had a college education they might understand that.
transpalnted Islander fan

Greenwood Lake, NY

#4 Apr 4, 2009
Omar must of had a bad day, this is gonna bite him right where it's gonna hurt. How could he disrupt this team 3 days before the season starts??????????
Tom W

Bloomington, IN

#5 Apr 4, 2009
Wally. You are a moron. The TARP jokes. We get it. You're so insightful repeating what you hear on late night talk shows.

Also, If Shef don't work out, he leaves. 400k is no big deal for the Mets. It's low-risk, high-reward.

As for as him being a cancer, hasn't he won a world series? Couldn't have been that bad. Chemistry is baseball is VERY over-rated.
Wallys Mom

Wilmington, DE

#6 Apr 4, 2009
Im sorry for my son, if I could abort him right now I would. Everyone knows that Sheffield isn't going to play outfield EVERYDAY as my son says, but he's unintelligent and exaggerates. Also there is no comparison to Manny. If you pay Manny you can't release him if he acts a fool. Sheff can be gone tomorrow and there is no financial obligation.
To all Newsday readers I apologize on behalf of my son for being the worst sportswriter in New York.
steven kaye

Sudbury, MA

#7 Apr 4, 2009
yes, he and manny are quirky. but he's costing the mets 23mm dollars less than manny so i think that would be worth the gamble, don't u think? one sign of a problem, and he's gone, and it'll cost them 400k. well worth the chance since he has the chance to pull a "delgado" like he did in the second half of last year and get that bat speed going again and hit 30 HR.
Office of the Bursar

Maspeth, NY

#8 Apr 4, 2009
Whowrotethis wrote:
If whoever wrote this had a college education they might understand that.
Pot...kettle...kettle...pot.
Your grammar is deplorable.
If you paid for your college education,
you are entitled to a full refund.
Ralphy

Pearland, TX

#9 Apr 4, 2009
To Wally's Mom,

You are one classy lady. To admit that you would have had him aborted and that he's the worst sportswriter in New York, you have my utmost respect.
Mets Fan

Elizabeth, NJ

#10 Apr 4, 2009
This is the worst article I have read in a while. As they say, "don't quit your day job"....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daniel Murphy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daniel Murphy is spot on regrading the "Gay Lif... (Mar '15) Mar '15 BayAreaVoice 1
News The Davis Dilemma: Deal Him or Deal with Him? (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sammy 1
News David Wright Injury: Updates on Mets 3B's Hamst... (Aug '13) Aug '13 XFlushing Fan 1
News Gee, strange play send Mets over Nationals 5-1 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom2Tone 1
News Daniel Murphy is New York Mets' Most Overrated ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 XFlushing Fan 1
News Mets Notes from the First Official Day of Sprin... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Injury costs Murphy two to six weeks (Apr '10) Sep '12 Pearl L 2
More from around the web