Murphy's error costs Mets in loss to Marlins

Full story: Newsday

Johan Santana was nearly perfect Sunday against the Marlins . Unfortunately, it was one big mistake by Daniel Murphy that wound up costing the Mets in a 2-1 loss at Dolphin Stadium .
Comments
1 - 20 of 65 Comments Last updated Apr 16, 2009
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Todd Schuster

Ellenville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

When I saw that these 2 pitchers were going against each other on Easter Sunday, we hada very good chance of a pitcher's duel. WAS IT EVER!!!! I'll take a 2-1 game over a 10-9 slugfest anytime. Only took an amazingly manageable 2 hours & 4 minutes. Unbelievable performance by Johan 7 innings 2 runs 3 hits (should have been 0 runs no thanks to Murph's error) 1 BB & 13 K's. WOW! Unfortunately in these kind of pitchers duels it only takes 1 goof to bit him in the ass and this error was the one. USE TWO HANDS MURPH!!! But give credit to Josh Johnson. Outstanding job going the distance. great game, sadly it didn't work out for the Mets. 3-3 on the first road trip, could've been better, could've been worse. This Marlins rotation is very good. the offense isn't shabby either but the defense & bullpen is going to cost them some games. They're going to be a force to be reckoned with. speaking of defense the mets were shaky in that category on this road trip. Time to shore it up & play better in the field. now off to Citifield our new ballpark FINALLY!!! Going to be a historic night. This will make you forget shea, hopefully better days ahead of us in this new ballpark. Big Pelf on the hill. LET'S GO METS!!!!!!!
rickrolled

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Murphy's bound to make mistakes he really isnt an outfielder, JJ was pitching well but the mets still should have tacked on a few more runs.
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

I can picture the headlines now. Murphy's Law costs Met's.

Thankfully they can get the jitters out now instead of when it's important... like in a battle for the wild card or even something far greater.
Mike Francesa

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

The bloom is off the rose !!
Mrs Murphy

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Judged:

Just read some quotes made by Santana ! Hey Johan , Instead of getting on a young kid whos hit a fielded better than any other Met .
Get on the pathetic offense scoring just 1 run for u !!

“Wilma”

Since: Oct 07

Yonkers

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Judged:

UH OH!

Los Mets....countdown to the Sept. collapse.
Tom Terrific

Bradenton, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Judged:

Yeah Murph muffed a piece of cake but when are Reyes and Wright going to get a clutch hit.
ANGRYMAN

Bridgeport, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Judged:

Here we go again, hold on to your seats Met fans...new year same o"l Mets. We need to forget about that team chemisrty of past and get a couple of butt kicking players to stir up this sleeping giant!!! Too late for Manny....some body let loose Gary. Its getting old, light a fire underneath some butts.
TLITLKITIS

Mineola, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Here is a June trade for you. Get Holladay to agree to a 3 or 4 yr deal and give'em Wright!!
Will

Wantagh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Judged:

Good for Johan, his words are exactly what this team needs, someone who doesn't shrug off a loss so fast... and the rookie obviously agrees.. every game counts.. as most of them should have learned by now..
Will

Wantagh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

How about both pitchers pitched great.. only reason Mets lost was because of Murphy's error.. he's a big boy Mrs. M, he needs to learn to focus better like he said..
Mrs Murphy wrote:
Just read some quotes made by Santana ! Hey Johan , Instead of getting on a young kid whos hit a fielded better than any other Met .
Will

Wantagh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Uh oh?? you mean great because you get to jerk off at a Met loss.. even though the bankees got beat by a minor league team.. hey dopey you're Santana washed up BS looks great doesn't it?!! hahaha.. I'll take him any day over fat boy CC..
nostephanfan wrote:
UH OH!
Mac

Dublin, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Murph, you owe Johan for that. Next time he's on the mound, you gotta drive in some runs.

Let's go Mets!
Gosh

Huntington, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Mrs Murphy wrote:
Amen. I love Santana, and I'll NEVER forget his last start of last season which set up the Mets to win the division if only they could carry over his energy the next day.
Still, I think quotes like his do NOT help rookies like Murphy. They only add to the pressure the next time a fly ball comes in his direction.
Murph knows he blew it. He is his own worst critic. He doesn't need negative reinforcement from a teamate.
NoSTephanFan

Freehold, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

nostephanfan wrote:
UH OH!
Los Mets.....countdown to the World Series
TEM-rM

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Shake it off Murph! Tough loss but .500 road trip to open the season is okay.

We head to Citi and start a big win streak.
TEM-rM

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Tom Terrific wrote:
Yeah Murph muffed a piece of cake but when are Reyes and Wright going to get a clutch hit.
Wright is in a hitting funk. As far as Reyes... did you watch any of the Saturday game?

Have to give credit to the starting pitcher. Just like Livan on Sat... J.J. had the Mets off balance and they couldn't hit him.
Truth Teller

Freehold, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

TEM-rM wrote:
<quoted text>
Wright is in a hitting funk. As far as Reyes... did you watch any of the Saturday game?
Have to give credit to the starting pitcher. Just like Livan on Sat... J.J. had the Mets off balance and they couldn't hit him.
Wright is hitting .304, and has at least one hit in every game this season. Not exactly a funk.

Reyes is hitting .240 btw.

Facts, meet perception. Perception, meet facts.
Wait

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

For thos of you critizing the Mets not hitting, get a clue.
Johnson is one of the best if not 'the best' young pitcher in the game, and he has the Mets number.
That kid is going be the ace of the staff. Which means we'll only have to deal with for so long before he demands more money, which the Marlins won't pay, and we'll be able to get him, or he'll be out of the division. Either way is good for us. But i wouldn't get on the team today for not hitting that guy.
The marlins are going to be tough again all year. It seems they have a proven system down there. Win it all, then dump and refill, and if you look at there history, every six years they're competitive again and making a run with a talented young team.
Jim

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2009

Johan pitched a gem but lost. Those things happen! He did a great job today and I think he will pitch many more like it with better results for sure!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Daniel Murphy Discussions

Search the Daniel Murphy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The Davis Dilemma: Deal Him or Deal with Him? (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sammy 1
David Wright Injury: Updates on Mets 3B's Hamst... (Aug '13) Aug '13 XFlushing Fan 1
Gee, strange play send Mets over Nationals 5-1 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom2Tone 1
Daniel Murphy is New York Mets' Most Overrated ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 XFlushing Fan 1
Mets Notes from the First Official Day of Sprin... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Mets Fan Forever 1
Injury costs Murphy two to six weeks (Apr '10) Sep '12 Pearl L 2
2013 Trade Candidate: Daniel Murphy (Sep '12) Sep '12 XFlushing Fan 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••