Again, Manuel comes out of leftfield

Feb 22, 2009 Read more: Newsday 14
Luis Castillo batting leadoff? Jose Reyes in the three-hole? Daniel Murphy as the everyday leftfielder? Is Jerry Manuel trying to steal the back page from A-Rod and the Yankees? Nah. Read more
Lucky

Long Valley, NJ

#1 Feb 22, 2009
Experimenting,observing snd preparing is what spring training is for! I'll add another thought. How about playing converted infielder Fernando Tatis at 2B for a few games and if he can adapt? Should he remain effective, having his RH bat in the lineup every day,should Castillo's career continue to slide would be a windfall.
fuknutz

Lakeland, FL

#2 Feb 23, 2009
blow me
fuknutz

Lakeland, FL

#3 Feb 23, 2009
how about reyes in left... delgado behind the plate.... let schnieder pitch....murphy at third.....wright at second.... beltran at short....pelfry at first.....putz in center.....and have tatis in right....let manuel coach third....and bring back seaver to manage.......lets go mutz......
James

Baldwinsville, NY

#4 Feb 23, 2009
I think we should just take Jerry manuel with the proverbial "grain of salt." Nothing derogatory about Jerry, but, as your examples indicate, he does not always follow through with what he says. We are only in the second week of spring training and the fist preseason game isn't until Wednesday, so it gives some good copy.
TOM Terrific

Gainesville, FL

#5 Feb 23, 2009
Omar is still dragging his feet when filling the holes in the starting lineup .He needed a solid 2nd baseman and stayed with Castillo who last year struck out so many times after going 3-2 then anyone on the team. He'spaid to swing the bat not to look at a third strike. When the Mets got him he was a tough out by taking a third strike and he just fell into a hole and lost at least 6 to 8 games by looking at a third strike. Omar is noted as a Latino getter and this team has more Latinos then any other team in the league. Not saying they aren't good players but lets balance things out Omar? We need a right handed bat for the bench and a fill in Maybe Alou is worth trying again if he doesn't get hurt in spring training practice games. He'll take up a roster spot if he does and thats not a good thing if there are young players available for that spot. Omar you and Freddie better get on the ball and get us another bat (Nady) would do .
Lew Lorin

Williamston, SC

#6 Feb 23, 2009
James..You are so right..Jerry lacks the necessities..If Christ himself played on this team, they still couldn't win if Jerry "Temple Emanuel" was the manager..He's dumb, doesn't get it and Wilpon just pissed away 2 million dollars in signing this idiot. I think Tom Renney is available. How about giving him a try?
Upstate Mets fan

Binghamton, NY

#7 Feb 23, 2009
Let's face it and be honest Mets fans---the starting lineup as it stands now is weak offensively. Sure Reyes, Wright and Beltran will put up big numbers but beyond those three is all a crap shoot....Delgado could be the horrible hitter he was before the all-star break last year or he could carry the team like he did after the break....nobody really knows what to expect from him. Church is injury-prone, Murphy in-experienced, Tatis is old and Schneider and castillo can't hit a lick. Gosh I hope the pitching staff carries us this year. I really don't understand how Omar can rest on his laurels and not bring someone else in to at least compete for the LF job.
Truth Teller

Roslyn, NY

#8 Feb 23, 2009
It's a good move if he actually sticks to it. Murphy is going to be a career .300 hitter. He's got the discipline, the eye at the plate and yes, a classic swing.

The author of this article wonders if Murphy is going to be a singles hitter and suggest he lacks gap power. Really? Perhaps the author needs to check the stats:

9 doubles, 3 triples, 2 HR out of 41 hits....This projects to a season of 30 doubles, 9 triples, 7 HR. Not exactly a projected singles hitter when 33% of your hits are NOT singles.

Let's see, what else does this author think about Murphy? Oh yeah, his fielding was barely acceptable. Really? He committed 2 errors in 37 games in LF. Projects out to around 9 for a season. Not great, but better than barely acceptable.

What else? Oh, yes, he's young and inexperienced. Oh, the horror! We can't bring up too many young players, right? God forbid we end up with another Jose Reyes or David Wright. That would be a disaster.

This author should go cover something he'd be able to learn because clearly, baseball is beyond his capacity.
MinnyJohn

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Feb 25, 2009
Hey, Upstate, maybe you should change your name to Glass Half Empty. The Mets were second in runs, fourth in BA, seventh in HRs last year in the NL. Delgado was on fire in the second half, Church isn't injury prone. He suffered two ridiculously freak accidents and now both he and Castillo are healthy. Plus Murphy will only get better. Ditto Wright and Reyes. What do you want? Eight All-Stars starting every game? A lineup that hits 300 home runs?
Gil Hodges

Moriches, NY

#10 Feb 25, 2009
When you have had a club choke a division lead (and Game 7 of the "06 NLCS for that matter), nothing or no one is safe. Manuel is trying to see what combination of players, lineups, etc will work to get the Mets over the hump. Plus the fact that by challenging Castillo and Reyes and even Daniel Murphy and Ryan Church, he's trying to see how mentally tough these guys are becuase, when all is said and done, the Phillies won because they were mentally tough down the stretch
Archie Bunkerez

Hornell, NY

#11 Feb 25, 2009
All of this doesn't matter. Any team with Oliver Perez as a major pitcher will never make it to the World Series. Game over.
MinnyJohn

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Feb 25, 2009
Yeah, any team with a No. 4 starter who wins 12-15 games is doomed.
Tampabayguy

Spring Hill, FL

#13 Feb 26, 2009
With Newspaper struggling for profits. Was it really worth a page to have this article . Yes , I am a Mets fan.
Tampabayguy

Spring Hill, FL

#14 Feb 26, 2009
At first , I thought bringing back Perez was stupid. Than I realize the guy is basically healthy and when Sheets went down, it became a smarter move. Games nowadays are won in the bullpen. Paying tons of money to starters is not always the answer. Most starters just need to tread water. I think the Mets can do that with any team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daniel Murphy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daniel Murphy is spot on regrading the "Gay Lif... Mar '15 BayAreaVoice 1
News The Davis Dilemma: Deal Him or Deal with Him? (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sammy 1
News David Wright Injury: Updates on Mets 3B's Hamst... (Aug '13) Aug '13 XFlushing Fan 1
News Gee, strange play send Mets over Nationals 5-1 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom2Tone 1
News Daniel Murphy is New York Mets' Most Overrated ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 XFlushing Fan 1
News Mets Notes from the First Official Day of Sprin... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Injury costs Murphy two to six weeks (Apr '10) Sep '12 Pearl L 2
More from around the web