Mets open second half by surrendering to Braves

Full story: Newsday

At this rate, Omar Minaya won't need to be calling other teams in the hope of making a trade that could salvage the second half of the season.
Comments
1 - 20 of 83 Comments Last updated Jul 18, 2009
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
los mets

Middle Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

one game closer to emination
los mets

Middle Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

for los mets, mid july is now late september
statement

Gainesville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

los mets wrote:
one game closer to emination
What is "emination"???"
Jim

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

The 2nd half has begun and they're off!!! Ho hum!!!!!!!!!!

“Wilma”

Since: Oct 07

Yonkers

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Judged:

Los Mets......countdown to the Sept. collapse.
Real Mets Fan

Lynwood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Judged:

statement wrote:
<quoted text> What is "emination"???"
Emination is felt by Los Mets and nostephenfan when Mets lose. It is an alternative to Sex.

Let's go Mets.
frank

Ronkonkoma, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

nostephanfan wrote:
racist.
Cameron

Deland, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

nostephanfan wrote:
No September collapse this year. The Phillies are pulling away.
James

Baldwinsville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Oliver Perez pitched just as well as Derek Lowe. The Braves bullpen was better than the Mets bullpen.
Jay

Makawao, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

statement wrote:
It's when M&M's take over the world, lol....
My Cousin Yuri

Massapequa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2009

Another hard-on for Newsday. Lmao New Yoooork New Yooooooooooork!

Los Yankees....countdown to the next plane crash. Got wings?
Todd Schuster

Bloomingburg, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Judged:

I'm raising the white flag. Scrap this 2009 campaign & get ready for 2010. They weren't winning with the main core anyway, they're certainly not without them. Decent outing by Cuckoo friend & Ollie but in the end I'm hoping that the Coupons (Fred & Jeff) hear the anger & frustration by us Mets fans & show Omar Papaya & the Buddah Jerry Manuel the door. Time to start a new regime. Get a GM who knows what the hell he's doing & a manager who will get in someone's face if the fundamanetals aren't being executed. I'm so sick & tired of watching these clowns fumble away day after day with the missed catches, misplays in the field & on offense. Just hope they hold off the equally bad Nats for last place. that would be the ultimate embarrassment. Wonder if Johan has second thoughts about signing with these clowns? Ditto for Frankie Rodriguez.
Bennie

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

My Cousin Yuri wrote:
Another hard-on for Newsday. Lmao New Yoooork New Yooooooooooork!
Los Yankees....countdown to the next plane crash. Got wings?
the mets haved choked in 2009 ya loser.
Raymond Luxury Yacht

Jersey City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

statement wrote:
Must be eminem's fan base.
Raymond Luxury Yacht

Jersey City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

A couple of thoughts about last night. I read in the Post that Manuel conducted a pitchers fielding practice before the game last night. Pitcher's fielding is the Mets problem?
Also caught Francouer on SNY before the game talking about how much he's enjoying the teams clubhouse and specifically mentioned Wright Scheff and Schneider, only. I wonder if it would have been different if any of the walking wounded were back?
who cares

Medford, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Do the Mets really matter anymore ?
The Wilpons lost 700 million bucks to Their good buddy Madoff !! Now thats a better story ! lol .
Jack The Cabbie

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Judged:

Once again the Yankee haters are full of glee that the Mets are still doing poorly. I never went to Yankee forums when they did poorly. I won't sink to their level. The season isn't over, but by any indication of last nights game, it will be soon. Even if Reyes, Beltran and Delgado come back better then ever, they won't help the relief pitching which has been horrible. There has to be a major shakeup of this team. The Wilpons need to eat Minaya's contract and ship his tuchus out of here, and get a GM who knows how to get guys who can play. I am also not exactly thrilled with Manuel, but if he was fired, who do you get? I know there are cries for Bobby Valentine, but the Mets would never hire him back. So it is another year of frustation. And don't worry Yankee haters, as good as they are doing now, they didn't win anything yet.
Lil Jimmy

Greenwich, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Judged:

For all of you Omar supporters who claim anybody who criticizes losmets as racists:

From The Daily News-

Because of squandered opportunities - the Game 7 loss to the Cardinals in the NLCS in '06, then the coughing up of a seven-game lead with 17 to play the following season - there's little equity built with the fan base to temper the disappointment. The reality is the organization has been crumbling beneath the surface, with the sizzle of big-ticket additions masking fundamental flaws. A report filed to the entire front office of a National League team by a scout assigned to the Mets, and obtained by the Daily News, offered this scathing rebuke:

"I understand that NY teams play under different rules and FA signings are the M.O., but without the influx of talent from the amateur draft, international scouting and shrewd trades it is difficult to have balance and cohesiveness. More importantly, the vulnerability to injuries is exacerbated by their impotent system. If you evaluate the Minaya regime, it is difficult to identify a plan or philosophy beyond acquiring high priced FA talent."

The reality is that any team would be hard-pressed to withstand losses to the caliber of the players currently occupying the DL with the Mets, including Beltran (knee), Reyes (hamstring), Delgado (hip), John Maine (shoulder) and J.J. Putz (elbow). The subtext with the Mets is that the dropoff to the replacement players is precipitous because of a lack of credible options in the upper levels of the farm system. Couple that with questionable medical decisions that sources say have prompted the Players Association to explore the issue - and even Beltran to privately become upset - and not enough money coming off the books to address the team's needs next winter and it's hard to construct a scenario in which the Mets can quickly correct their predicament.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/me...
Choo Choo Charlie

Berwick, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

I have heard people say it's early still and only 7 1/2 games out. Lets face it, to make up that distance you would also have to assume the Phils will fold, whats the chances of that happening. Also with the fact that Phils already had their bad streak and the Mets couldn't take advantage of it, not sure that will happen again.

If we get too many more games out I think it may be too much to make up.
Choo Choo Charlie

Berwick, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

nostephanfan wrote:
Dude, a Setptember collapse????? Really, what the heck are you watching, it's happening now!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daniel Murphy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Davis Dilemma: Deal Him or Deal with Him? (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sammy 1
David Wright Injury: Updates on Mets 3B's Hamst... (Aug '13) Aug '13 XFlushing Fan 1
Gee, strange play send Mets over Nationals 5-1 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom2Tone 1
Daniel Murphy is New York Mets' Most Overrated ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 XFlushing Fan 1
Mets Notes from the First Official Day of Sprin... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Mets Fan Forever 1
Injury costs Murphy two to six weeks (Apr '10) Sep '12 Pearl L 2
2013 Trade Candidate: Daniel Murphy (Sep '12) Sep '12 XFlushing Fan 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Daniel Murphy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••