Murphy's gaffe in left keys Mets' los...

Murphy's gaffe in left keys Mets' loss to Cards

There are 22 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 21, 2009, titled Murphy's gaffe in left keys Mets' loss to Cards. In it, Newsday reports that:

Before long, Ryan Church won't be the one on the bench any more. Not when Daniel Murphy keeps killing the Mets with his on-the-job training in leftfield.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Wilma”

Since: Oct 07

Yonkers

#1 Apr 21, 2009
OOPS!

Los Mets....countdown to the Sept. collapse
Jim

AOL

#2 Apr 21, 2009
Murphy is young and young players tend to make mistakes, especially when they are playing out of position. I'd be more concerned with some of the mental errors, Ollie blowing a 4 run lead and Fossum, the old washed up pro that he is, walking in a run. Fossum is on the roster at the expense of a young talent! They seem to create ways to lose games!
aaron heilman

Bronx, NY

#3 Apr 22, 2009
Typical Perez coughing up a lead and giving up after 4 innings. You can count on him to do this 50% of the time. How is the loss Murphy's fault when the team gets a single hit of the last 5 innings? They look exactly like they did in '07 and '08, I am sorry to say.

“The First Met”

Since: Jun 08

United States

#4 Apr 22, 2009
Are the Mets trying to play this first year at Mets Field like we did in my first year (1/2 year for me) at the Polo Grounds in '62 or the first year at Shea in '64? If so then we are off to a good start!
jimsha

Babylon, NY

#5 Apr 22, 2009
So someome tell me what has changed from last year. Jump out early. Fail to tack on. starting and releivers give it back along with bad defense. Offensively shutting down half way through the game. Bad, bad, and bad. Lets be happy though that we are not harping on the lack of clutch hitting. Oh yeah, did I say Bad!
Mike BQ

Bridgewater, NJ

#6 Apr 22, 2009
Murphy's Law still out in Left Field? I LOVE this guy. It's not his fault, but he's learning on the job and we can't afford to let games slip like this. Not after the last two years. Obviously, we need about a ten game lead heading into September. It's time to move Castillo up to #2 (yes, breaking the solid 1-6 offense) and bring Sheff and Tatis into the left field mix and even Reed. Murph is a gamer, and will be back or be excellent trade bait.
jay

Ilion, NY

#7 Apr 22, 2009
Terrible loss. Manuel needs to get ahold of these guys or he will be gone. Beltran dosen't slide, Ollie being Ollie (after that huge contract he got!!) Murphy not only makes the physical blunder but the mental errors w/ throws and then Jerry has the balls to say that Castillo isn't responsible for coaching @ home on the Beltran gaffe?!?!!? Why not?!?! Too cool? They don't do tittle things and it will again cost them.
Balto

Norwalk, CT

#8 Apr 22, 2009
Again, the fundamentals are very weak with this club.

Notice I said "club" because this group of wilting wusses ain't no team.
DAG

Westbury, NY

#9 Apr 22, 2009
HOW MANY TIMES IS DAVID WRIGHT GOING TO STRIKE OUT WITH RUNNERS IN SCORING POSITION?!?!?!

I cant take this for an entire season!

Murphy playing with his head up his butt. Wright not being clutch. Oliver Perez cant keep a 4 run lead!!!!

Why did my father have to be a Mets fan?!
NoDice

Freeport, NY

#10 Apr 22, 2009
There isn't a reason on the planet for any Mets fan to believe this team is going anywhere. This is .500 team folks. Has been for a couple years now. Typical 6-7 start. They will never go on a run, and hover around the .500 mark all year long, finishing in 3rd place.

Omar chose not to fix the core of the team...we have the same cast of characters. There is no fight, no bully, no nothing. The Marlins have moxy and fight.

We can't play defense, the starting rotation is a complete joke. Oliver Perez is a bigger joke. Beltran doesn't want to get his pants dirty. Bats fall asleep. No yelling. No fire.

Let's be honest. This isn't 2009. It's 2007, 2008, and 2009. It's the same cast of characters that will never get it done. This is a failure on the part of Omar Minaya to change NOTHING.

This team is simply mediocre. Don't expect the playoffs. They'll be out of the race by September.

“Go Ahead Liberal, Make My Day”

Since: Dec 07

Florida...home of Trump

#11 Apr 22, 2009
maybe it's time the Mets dump Dave Kingman as the fielding coach ?
DAG

Westbury, NY

#12 Apr 22, 2009
NoDice wrote:
There isn't a reason on the planet for any Mets fan to believe this team is going anywhere. This is .500 team folks. Has been for a couple years now. Typical 6-7 start. They will never go on a run, and hover around the .500 mark all year long, finishing in 3rd place.
Omar chose not to fix the core of the team...we have the same cast of characters. There is no fight, no bully, no nothing. The Marlins have moxy and fight.
We can't play defense, the starting rotation is a complete joke. Oliver Perez is a bigger joke. Beltran doesn't want to get his pants dirty. Bats fall asleep. No yelling. No fire.
Let's be honest. This isn't 2009. It's 2007, 2008, and 2009. It's the same cast of characters that will never get it done. This is a failure on the part of Omar Minaya to change NOTHING.
This team is simply mediocre. Don't expect the playoffs. They'll be out of the race by September.
They'll be out of the race by June!

How Minaya got an extension is beyond me. He completely ignored the team's need.

Yes, the bullpen lost a lot of games last year, but a big reason for that was the fact that the starting pitching, except Santana, couldnt go more than 5 innings. The bullpen was worn out.

The real issue was the starting pitching Omar!! You'll see later this season when Putz and Parnell and the rest of them are throwing with tired arms.
Salty Parker

United States

#13 Apr 22, 2009
The Mets need to get their heads out of their collective arses. Mental mistakes are unforgiveable. Beltran fails to slide at the plate. Murphy gets picked off in the first inning. As for the outfield gaffe, the outfield grass in St Louis seemingly gets slick at night. In the 2006 WS, Detroit outfielders Curtis Grunderson and Craig Monroe slipped on the grass and misplayed fly balls.

Ollie Perez another quality start on the first year of a $36 million dollar contract. When will Omar Minaya and Tony Bernazard be held accountable for their failures? It's just about time for Minaya to deliver one of his "I do believe sermons." Naturally, Jeff Wilpon will buy into it. The beat goes on but the music never changes with the Mets.
Gary Cohen

Medford, NY

#14 Apr 22, 2009
No choice but to sit Murphy and play Tatis or even Sheffield in left at this point ! This guy cant catch the ball or reach home plate on 5 bounces !! Once CastIllo goes 0-4 one day than put Murphy at second if u want him in lineup so bad ! Maybe he can reach home plate if needed from their !
And the Mets have the stupidest manager who has no idea what situational basebal is ! And it trickles down to the stupidest team in baseball that doesn't know how to run the bases ! Oh..And the RAZOR over their at 3rd base isnt to sharp either ! lol . Mets will be 10 games out in about a week i woud guess ! Oh and Perez ? I would rather give another 30 mill to Madoff than this stupid bum who has no idea what the word PITCHING means !
Mike - Tampa

New Port Richey, FL

#15 Apr 22, 2009
This is a bad sign that this era of Mets players and team culture will never win. The lack of commitment to winning with constant plays like Beltran not sliding is prevalent to their pretty approach -(give me Nails & Backman), poor player acquisition leaving a guy like Murphy out of position (Manny could play LF better than that) and a pitching staff of 1 star and 5 number 5 starters.Add to that guys like Reyes still swinging undiciplined like his rookie year and you have one of my least favorite Mets teams over the last 30 years.
LetsPlay2

Lehigh Acres, FL

#16 Apr 22, 2009
It's one thing to tolerate Murphy's outfield on-the-job training, but it's another to witness bad baserunning in addition. Getting picked off first early and then trying to score standing up is meek. His and Beltran's mild-mannered efforts on plays at the plate personify this team's character. When's the last time you saw a catcher get bowled over by a member of this team? This group has no right to expect big things from themselves with this lack of fight. There is absolutely nothing exciting about this club with the lone exception of a Santana outing. The rest is a predictable, boring snorefest. Adding to the monotony is the continued lack of real offensive firepower from an alleged contender. Of 16 NL teams, Mets are 14th in HRs and 10th in total bases. In essence, we have a team comprised mainly of singles hitters......zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Todd Schuster

New York, NY

#17 Apr 22, 2009
Mike BQ wrote:
Murphy's Law still out in Left Field? I LOVE this guy. It's not his fault, but he's learning on the job and we can't afford to let games slip like this. Not after the last two years. Obviously, we need about a ten game lead heading into September. It's time to move Castillo up to #2 (yes, breaking the solid 1-6 offense) and bring Sheff and Tatis into the left field mix and even Reed. Murph is a gamer, and will be back or be excellent trade bait.
What ten game lead? The way this team is playing there won't be anything to worry about come September. Casey Stengel is turning over in his grave saying Can't anybody here play this game? NOT!!!! Just brutal.
TLITLKITIS

Hyde Park, NY

#18 Apr 22, 2009
same crappy team, Perez is a joke, I'll take Wang anyday..Dump him and give me Pedro, at least he has a set of balls.
TLITLKITIS

Hyde Park, NY

#19 Apr 22, 2009
September!! this team my be out of it come early June, get real!!
Delores San Pedro

Dallas, TX

#20 Apr 22, 2009
This is the earliest in the year I've ever been over the Mets. Everyone here posting is right -- same s**t, different year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Daniel Murphy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Daniel Murphy is spot on regrading the "Gay Lif... (Mar '15) Mar '15 BayAreaVoice 1
News The Davis Dilemma: Deal Him or Deal with Him? (Dec '13) Dec '13 Sammy 1
News David Wright Injury: Updates on Mets 3B's Hamst... (Aug '13) Aug '13 XFlushing Fan 1
News Gee, strange play send Mets over Nationals 5-1 (Jul '13) Jul '13 Tom2Tone 1
News Daniel Murphy is New York Mets' Most Overrated ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 XFlushing Fan 1
News Mets Notes from the First Official Day of Sprin... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Injury costs Murphy two to six weeks (Apr '10) Sep '12 Pearl L 2
More from around the web