Maine can't get job done as Mets fall...

Maine can't get job done as Mets fall to Padres

There are 45 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 16, 2009, titled Maine can't get job done as Mets fall to Padres. In it, Newsday reports that:

If you're making a list of culprits for the Mets ' 6-5 loss to the Padres last night, feel free to put John Maine at the top.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Jim

AOL

#1 Apr 16, 2009
Maine is a quality pitcher and I think he'll be fine!
jgand

Newport News, VA

#2 Apr 17, 2009
We're a complete mess. Reyes is as undisciplined at the plate as he's ever been. Murphy is proving he's a project, not a starting major-leaguer and has not legitimate claim to being a #2 hitter or a starting outfielder...particularly whne you had Reed have such a solid spring. Wright is trying too hard and getting himself out. Our defense has started out like a major liability and cost us 2 games already. Our rotation has one anchor and a bunch of question marks. This isn't panic, just the truth. It could be a long summer of .500 ball, staying firmly entrenched above the Nats. Great digs, though.
LetsPlay2

Lehigh Acres, FL

#3 Apr 17, 2009
Really no surprises with this starting pitching. Maine, Pelfrey and Perez have started the season as we feared they would. But it's sink or swim with this group; no viable options waiting in the wings.

Mets lacking power in key spots right now: Wright, despite his 3R homer the other night, has only 3 extra base hits in 35 ABs. Worse, he's struck out a whopping 13 times to easily lead the team. And Reyes, not nearly the dynamic leadoff man of the past, has but 2 XB hits in 37 ABs, not close to what is expected from him. Leading the team in both hits and XB hits is Ryan Church. You remember him, the guy they sat so Sheffield could play? Typical Mets' decision-making.
compkiller

AOL

#4 Apr 17, 2009
watching this team is like watching paint dry....I can barely make it through 3 innings without falling asleep. This is a booring product on the field right now with no RBI pop and a bottom of the order that could rank as one of the worst in Met's history.

Well, at least they have their New Ebbets field for the next 40 years....

Thanks to the Wipons and Bernie Madoff.
Jay

Honolulu, HI

#5 Apr 17, 2009
The starting line-up needs to be changed with a balance of power to contact to batting side.

Reyes (S)
Castillo (S)
Beltran (s)
Delgado (L)
Wright (R)
Church (L)
Schneider/Castro (L)/(R)
Tatis/Sheffield (R)/(R)
Pitcher

“Wilma”

Since: Oct 07

Yonkers

#6 Apr 17, 2009
UH OH!

Los Mets....countdown to the Sept. collapse.
Todd Schuster

New York, NY

#7 Apr 17, 2009
Jim wrote:
Maine is a quality pitcher and I think he'll be fine!
From your mouth to God's ears Jim I hope you're right. Happy Friday to you pal. Not a good day for either of our teams. The Yankees debut game in the new Stadium turned out to be a flogging. When the dam broke look out. Even though CC struggled with control & threw a lot of pitches 122 in 5 2/3 innings, he still only gave up 1 run while Cliff Lee only surrendered 1 run as well but thanks to the 9 run outburst by the Tribe they got the win for him. Your middle relief is very questionable with Marte, Coke, Veres, Ramirez & others. Mo is Mo but the others have to pitch in. As for my team, no clutch hitting, like your team too many ducks left on the pond. Our bullpen looks very good but the key is going to be our starters. Maine & Ollie are the same personality, both head cases. maine looked good the first 2, then gives up the leadoff walk to start the third. I think the same happened with Veres when he walked the leadoff man. that's just asking for trouble. The Fordham Flash aka the late Frankie Frisch said it best. Oh those bases on balls come back to haunt you & they did for both our teams. Yanks 5-5, Mets 4-5. Our starters mainly maine, Ollie & Big Pelf are going to be our key. Livan you get what you get from him & Johan is Johan he's one of the best. Maddingly inconsistent. Hopefully the tide turns for both of us. At least we can boast about our new stadiums, both beautiful. Hopefully we can get on the ball & maybe meet in postseason come October. Jim enjoy the games over the weekend! 70's today & tomorrow here in the NY area. What about you 90+ in the Valley? Be well.
Barry Lyons

United States

#8 Apr 17, 2009
Omar Minaya Tony Bernazrd and Jeff Wilpon are the Mets brain trust. Is it surprising this team has deficiencies? Although the bullpen appears to be improved, they'll be worn out by June, if the starters don't pitch deep into games. Omar's solution Tim Redding, extend Perez for 3 years and sign Livian Hernandez. The offense continues to sputter especially with runners in scoring position. This problem has existed for three years. Omar's solution Gary Sheffield. The defense has been abysmal. Omar's solution play Murphy in left field despite the fact he never played the outfield in Double "A." Manuel says "The team is a work in progress." Minaya says "I do believe this team is a contender." Who is going to be held accountable for the abyss that has become Mets baseball.
smitty edgewater fla

Moss Point, MS

#9 Apr 17, 2009
we got good bullpen no picthers to get there get pedro pelfrey and maine aren`t up to it
NYERNFLA

Irving, TX

#10 Apr 17, 2009
Unfortunately it didnt take long for the Mets we have come to know to come back, yes they scored some runs last night but had oppurtunities to score many more, they get them on, they get them over but they dont get them in nearly often enough, I actually fell asleep watching them last night, heartless & boring, you dont need sleeping pills when the Mets are on.
Lou

Snellville, GA

#11 Apr 17, 2009
Why does this team look a lot better on paper than they do playing?

Since: Oct 08

Freehold, NJ

#12 Apr 17, 2009
I've said it before, Maine is a head case. I believe it was Ojeda who made the point last night...his problem started when he failed to bunt properly. Everything gets in this guy's head. He doesn't have the strength of mind to be a professional pitcher and to work through a tough inning. I'm tired of his whining and his pouting and the way he shakes his head in disgust. Grow the hell up before you find yourself out of baseball.
Razor Shines

Betterton, MD

#13 Apr 17, 2009
Lou wrote:
When Reyes in a slumber the Mets stink.

Freehold, NJ

#14 Apr 17, 2009
and allow me to be the one who says it: David Wright is not a clutch hitter. Last night with runners on 2nd and 3rd and two outs , he takes strike three. Next at bat, with no one on, he singles. 9 game hitting streak....fantastic...who cares? His 125 RBI in 2008 were the softest in baseball.
He didn't get many in the clutch last year either. And Gold Glove??? PLEASE...He can't make a clean throw to first base to save his life. He's won those awards by virtue of playing in New York. Lastly, he continues the annoying habit of patting opposing players on the rear and buddying up with the other team during games. He needs an edge, instead...he needs to be liked by everyone. The honeymoon is way over!
Todd Schuster

New York, NY

#15 Apr 17, 2009
Monty Burns wrote:
I've said it before, Maine is a head case. I believe it was Ojeda who made the point last night...his problem started when he failed to bunt properly. Everything gets in this guy's head. He doesn't have the strength of mind to be a professional pitcher and to work through a tough inning. I'm tired of his whining and his pouting and the way he shakes his head in disgust. Grow the hell up before you find yourself out of baseball.
Maine & Perez. Both similar in potential. Both have same personality execpt that one's a righty & the other's a southpaw. Maine has the smarts regarding crosswords & an engineering degree but many times he thinks too damn much. Cuckoo Friend & Ollie on the other hand has the IQ of a gnat. Monty check out you tube for match game with gene rayburn cuckoo _____ & you'll see what I mean.
Lou

Snellville, GA

#16 Apr 17, 2009
Monty Burns wrote:
and allow me to be the one who says it: David Wright is not a clutch hitter. Last night with runners on 2nd and 3rd and two outs , he takes strike three. Next at bat, with no one on, he singles. 9 game hitting streak....fantastic...who cares? His 125 RBI in 2008 were the softest in baseball.
He didn't get many in the clutch last year either. And Gold Glove??? PLEASE...He can't make a clean throw to first base to save his life. He's won those awards by virtue of playing in New York. Lastly, he continues the annoying habit of patting opposing players on the rear and buddying up with the other team during games. He needs an edge, instead...he needs to be liked by everyone. The honeymoon is way over!
Monty, you make a good point about statistics and in baseball, more than any other sport, statistics are so misleading. Not to drag the point out, but if you have a 340 hitter with 30 home runs, you cannot judge the real quality of a hitter unless you know how many were hits that drove in runs, or how many were home runs in a game where they were trailing 8-2 in the ninth and parked one and the team lost 8-3. Pitching won-lost is another one-give me the ERA , that is the one that really counts. There are some other examples, but we focus too much on the surface of the statistic and don't dig deep enough.
NYERNFLA

Irving, TX

#17 Apr 17, 2009
Lou wrote:
Because you cant measure heart & toughness on paper, the Mets have neither and it shows every time they take the field, the '86 Mets would lose a few in a row and start a fight, these guys give you cliches, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
jimsha

Babylon, NY

#18 Apr 17, 2009
"I think we can be a little more consistent," said Carlos Delgado,

You think?

Maybe it's just me but why is it that in the last 2 plus years if we are ahead there just does not seem like there is a lead large enough but if we are down by even a couple it's like point, set, match. Done and done. The only two words that come to mind are "clutch" and "heart", which this group knows little about.
jimsha

Babylon, NY

#19 Apr 17, 2009
Monty Burns wrote:
Sorry pal, I've been saying that for quite some time now!

Freehold, NJ

#20 Apr 17, 2009
jimsha wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry pal, I've been saying that for quite some time now!
Then allow me to echo Jimsha's previous comments

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Chase Headley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shields Ks 12 but slumping Padres lose 9-4 to s... (Apr '15) Apr '15 tom wingo 2
News Headley On WFAN: A-Rod And I Will Work Together... (Mar '15) Mar '15 user103350 1
News Things to know about MLB free-agent signings (Dec '14) Dec '14 EARL SCOTT 1
News New York Yankees Trade Rumors: Latest Updates, ... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Comnsnse 1
News Predicting What the L.A. Dodgers Roster Will Lo... (Jul '12) Jul '12 Grogan 1
News NL West-leading Dodgers lose 2nd straight with ... (May '12) May '12 hmmm 1
News Padres stymie Dodgers again (Sep '10) Sep '10 Paul 1
More from around the web