A .500 season would be a success for Orioles
Join the discussion below, or Read more at York Dispatch.
#1 Feb 2, 2011
I must say it is nice to see a writer for the York papers that actually knows a thing or two about baseball. I have to agree with pretty much everything you say. I think that the starters may have turned a corner last year though since they had their first winning month of August in about a dozen years. If they can pick up where they left off I think they may surprise some people. Plus with the signing of Duchsherer we no longer need to be worried about having Tillman in the rotation, which always scared me because he was so inconsistent, almost a AAAA type pitcher.
#2 Feb 3, 2011
1. The first game is on February 28th, not March 1st.
2. Can they be a factor in the AL East? The answer is No? they will not do worse against the Blue Jays, and they have the chance to do better everywhere else with many major improvements. Saying theres no way to make a dent is ludicrous.
3. They finished 29 back of the Rays, and 19 back of the Jays. Be a reporter. Actually use information provided to you.
4. Adam Jones is not a number 2 hitter. Maybe he was before he made the All-Star Team, but the doubles power of Roberts and Markakis back to back would be a deadly combination. There's also no way that Wieters is deserving of being the number 7 hitter above Hardy and Pie. Bad players bat last, or rallys are ended early.
5. Ty Wigginton and Luke Scott are terrible infield defensive players. You can't tell me that a three time Gold Glove winner (Derrek Lee, 2003, 2005, 2007) is comparable to a left fielder playing first base. That's just stupidity.
6. As of yesterday, according to you, the Orioles only have three pitchers: Guthrie, Matusz, and Bergesen. If you don't count Duchscherer or Arrietta, then yea, we only have three. But one player has a 3.01 ERA and was signed to fill the spot, and the other one is a developing pitcher who performed extremely well against the Yankees and Rangers last year. Don't give me the "they haven't made the team yet" crap. Then we don't have Derrek Lee, Mark Reynolds, JJ Hardy, or Kevin Gregg. Duchscherer was signed 3 days before your article came out. Be a reporter. Actually get facts.
7. "Given a choice, I'd rather have the Phillies' pitching staff." Thats like saying "I'd really like to have my choice of all the Yankees and Red Sox Players, so I can put them on my team". Everyone would like that. Don't say stupid things. Actually give facts or relevant editorials. You're useless.
In summary: you're a bad reporter, who should not only check his facts, but make sure that he actually understands a team, let a lone a sport, before he actually writes about them.
#3 Feb 3, 2011
Wow, BetterReporter. You are brutal. But I do agree with all of your responses except for the last batter in the line-up comment. The 9th batter is reserved for a not-so-good hitter, but with speed. You don't want a tank like Wieters batting 9th and slowing down the speed at the top of the order. I like what the O's have done in the offseason, and this will be a very interesting year I believe!
#4 Feb 3, 2011
1.The best record in the AL East after Aug 1st last year,keeping in mind that a vast majority of games were against the AL East.
2.Defensively they are VASTLY improved with Lee and Reynolds,instead of the 'platoon' that was last years' corner infielders.
3.Injuries to their closer(Gonzales)and their heart (Roberts)were never overcome.
4.Pitching will be a big upgrade with this team...look at the #'s after Aug.1st.
I'm just saying that this team is a huge improvement over '10....we'll see how improved in Oct.
#5 Feb 3, 2011
Larry, Why not just write an article about the Phillies? You also forgot to take the improved coaching staff into consideration.
#6 Feb 4, 2011
Since: Feb 11
#7 Feb 4, 2011
With the improved pitching staff and the new player adds i feel like the Os have a great shot to win atleast 81 games this year, especially with the way the players ended the year with showalter last year.Will they have an impact in the AL east? NO, not very much.They are still building it up,and have the potential to take a series or 2 from the Yankees and Redsox.But overall 3rd in the East i think is the ceiling this year. That being said as an Os fan i would be happy with that, but i would be satisfied with a .500 record.Its a step in the right direction.
Add your comments below
|Like It Or Not, Alex Rodriguez Isn't Going Anyw... (May '14)||Mar '15||A Roid||3|
|HEISER: Orioles fans finally have hope again (Apr '11)||Apr '11||George||2|
|Was Oriole Brian Roberts his own worst enemy? (Oct '10)||Oct '10||Brain Robby||1|
|American League: Orioles hand White Sox 11th lo... (Aug '10)||Aug '10||Ozzie Guillen||1|
|Roberts homer lifts surging Orioles to another win (Aug '10)||Aug '10||WILDCAT HOLLOW||3|
|Brian Roberts homer drops Chicago White Sox int... (Aug '10)||Aug '10||Ozzie Guillen||3|
|Back in majors with Orioles, Showalter vows not... (Aug '10)||Aug '10||triple6vamp||1|
Find what you want!
Search Brian Roberts Forum Now
Copyright © 2016 Topix LLC