Pitching and power carry Twins to 4-2 victory

There are 19 comments on the Apr 8, 2010, TwinCities.com story titled Pitching and power carry Twins to 4-2 victory. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Twins manager Ron Gardenhire often talks about Carl Pavano's veteran status, about the right-hander's wily ability to break free from jams, keep his composure and stay the course no matter how many runners are stalking the base paths.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

DannyBoy29

Calgary, Canada

#1 Apr 8, 2010
great win Twins!!!!!!!!!!
Zeke

Cedar, MN

#2 Apr 8, 2010
Rauch got the save, but Gardy should look elsewhere tonight if a save situation occurs. If the Angels see Rauch for a third time, they will get to him. Last night was a shaky save, if they go to the well a third time, the game will get away from them.

Rauch has proved he can be used in a save situation, but they need to vary it up a bit.

“Noses run and feet smell”

Since: Dec 08

Compton CA

#3 Apr 8, 2010
Pavano looked awesome out there! I think the Indians may kick themselves after letting him get away last season. I hope he can pitch like that all season. Nice to see Morneau knock another on over the fence. I know itís early in the season, but I was a little disappointed with Thome in his at-bats. Also, Hudson is yet to get a big hit. Oh yeah, where the H3LL did Punto come from last night!? Actually getting on base a few times and a nice stolen base. I think the Angels are a good appetizer to what they are going to face next week with the Red Six.
Bo Knows

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Apr 8, 2010
Great seeing Hardy smack the ball and play some "D". Still don't understand why the Twins trade for a SS and sign a 2nd baseman then put the guys that couldn't handle those jobs at 3rd. When all the guys get going I think we'll see some long win streaks ahead.
DannyBoy29

Calgary, Canada

#5 Apr 8, 2010
Bo Knows wrote:
Great seeing Hardy smack the ball and play some "D". Still don't understand why the Twins trade for a SS and sign a 2nd baseman then put the guys that couldn't handle those jobs at 3rd. When all the guys get going I think we'll see some long win streaks ahead.
I am still miffed at why the Twins did not get a REAL 3rd baseman this year...that could be a huge mistake as the season moves along, hope not but it is still a huge concern.....
CzarInMpls

Forest Lake, MN

#6 Apr 8, 2010
Ya gotta tip your hat to Pavano. Good work!
tom moore

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Apr 8, 2010
could you add the box score - or a link to it - on the page that has the main article about the game? or on the twins page on your site? would be appreciated.
Nick

United States

#8 Apr 8, 2010
So far it has been a pretty exciting season.
Go Twins!
unlike sid

Asheville, NC

#9 Apr 8, 2010
that was a very impressive outing by Pavano. I've not seen a game like that since watching Maddox pitch. He worked those batters and left some very good hitters looking perplexed. very nice. i hope the rest of the staff takes on that mentality.
Sugaree

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Apr 8, 2010
the Angels are good. The Twins are better.
Arrogant American

Duluth, MN

#11 Apr 8, 2010
DannyBoy29 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am still miffed at why the Twins did not get a REAL 3rd baseman this year...that could be a huge mistake as the season moves along, hope not but it is still a huge concern.....
By a "real" third baseman, do you mean somebody who gets on bsse often and somebody who plays great in the field? That would be Punto.

As you know, Punto is a gold-glove-quality fielder. His OBP was higher than the league average last year. Expect Punto to hit at least .270 this year.
CzarInMpls

Forest Lake, MN

#12 Apr 8, 2010
Why does Gardenhire keep pitching to Matsui? Pitch around him or knock him off the plate. This was a close game and could've cost the Twins. Gardenhire has done this in the past as well when Thome and other players have had the Twins number. Torre or Larussa wouldn't put up with it. That's why they have World Series rings. Little things add up in baseball.
Thome

United States

#13 Apr 8, 2010
A few more at bats like Thome had last night and he can secure himself on the bench next to the next days pitcher. If Kubel is going strong Gardy has to keep him in the lineup. Thome looked awful at the plate last night. I was excited about the signing but we can't have him in there is he's going to strike out three times.

“Ave Satanas”

Since: Dec 06

Bratislava, Slovakia

#14 Apr 8, 2010
only 160 more games to play.
DannyBoy29

Calgary, Canada

#15 Apr 8, 2010
Arrogant American wrote:
<quoted text>
By a "real" third baseman, do you mean somebody who gets on bsse often and somebody who plays great in the field? That would be Punto.
As you know, Punto is a gold-glove-quality fielder. His OBP was higher than the league average last year. Expect Punto to hit at least .270 this year.
I like Punto big time but he is NOT a 3rd baseman and his weakness at that position will be exposed...he can play short and 2nd without missing a beat but 3rd base is not for him........nor Brendan Harris.......I hear Rich Rollins might be available
Rich

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Apr 8, 2010
Thome wrote:
A few more at bats like Thome had last night and he can secure himself on the bench next to the next days pitcher. If Kubel is going strong Gardy has to keep him in the lineup. Thome looked awful at the plate last night. I was excited about the signing but we can't have him in there is he's going to strike out three times.
Yeah, he'll come around (hopefully). I dont think he is an every day player, and he shouldnt be pinch hitting with a lead. But when we are losing, and its late in the game, he would be a good sub for Punto/Harris.
Billy Ringo

United States

#17 Apr 8, 2010
If I was a Yankee fan (and I am) I would be worried about the Twinks. If Morneau and Mauer stays healthy - I see trouble ahead in October.

CzarInMpls

Forest Lake, MN

#18 Apr 8, 2010
Morneau MVP, Mauer Batting Champ and Santana Cy Young but with Gardy as the coach 3 and done in 2006 to Oakland a good but not great team.
Arrogant American

Duluth, MN

#19 Apr 8, 2010
CzarInMpls wrote:
Morneau MVP, Mauer Batting Champ and Santana Cy Young but with Gardy as the coach 3 and done in 2006 to Oakland a good but not great team.
Gardenhire was the manager in 2006; he hasn't coached since 2001.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Brandon Wood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
News Wood hits 1st career grand slam, Napoli adds 3-... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Aces 1
News Who's chasing Halladay? (Jul '09) Aug '09 ray king tiger 9
News Fantasy Baseball Draft Guide 2009: Top 5 Los An... (Apr '09) Apr '09 michelletuza 1
Brandon Wood (Jun '06) Jun '06 Joe- Philla 1
More from around the web