Yankees' Hughes saves best start of y...

Yankees' Hughes saves best start of year for last

There are 14 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 25, 2008, titled Yankees' Hughes saves best start of year for last. In it, Newsday reports that:

Joe Girardi said Phil Hughes didn't need a win to give him peace of mind going into the offseason.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

always right

Bangkok, Thailand

#1 Sep 25, 2008
Too late.
Jack

United States

#2 Sep 25, 2008
WHO CARES!
Speed

United States

#3 Sep 25, 2008
He's only 22. He is going to be a good one.
Peter

Commack, NY

#4 Sep 25, 2008
yankee news are old. season's over.. next!
Red

New York, NY

#6 Sep 25, 2008
For years whenever the touchy subject of Yankee starters Andy Petitte and Mike Mussina's high ERA is brought up at least 10 idiots come to their defense with the old "hey the win games and that's all that counts."

Now that poor little rich boy, Phil Hughes, can't buy a win, the same idiots will change their minds and defend him with the old "he pitched good, he can't help it if the Yanks can't score" routine.......

bring it on.

Since: Jun 07

Oceanside, NY

#7 Sep 25, 2008
Please don't be fooled by Abreu's performance. This is like him to be cranking out RBI's because the pressure is off and there is nothing to play for. Do not resign this player. Too little, too late indeed!
man

New York, NY

#8 Sep 25, 2008
yeah Hughes may be a great one down the line. problem is how long do the yanks stick with him rather than fill his spot witha proven pitcher. sure, if they tradehim he'll prob comeback 3 yrs later and beat them up like Kazmir does etc but the time to move him is now i think. they gave him hsi chance-he didnt grab hold of the spot.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#9 Sep 25, 2008
It's already started again (3rd year in a row) NY media declares that the Mets could 'own' NY if they make the playoffs and the Yanks don't... Isn't that lowering the bar a little? Shouldn't you have to actually WIN something (WS) before OWNING a town? I understand they're frustration. 22 years without a WS victory is along time (just like 8 years for the Yanks). But we've been through this before.. In 1969, there was 'The Amazins', In 1973 it was 'Ya Gotta believe'. In 1986 it was 'puff, puff,pass'... what will be the mantra this year..'we made the playoffs and the Yanks didn't
Speed

United States

#10 Sep 25, 2008
man wrote:
yeah Hughes may be a great one down the line. problem is how long do the yanks stick with him rather than fill his spot witha proven pitcher. sure, if they tradehim he'll prob comeback 3 yrs later and beat them up like Kazmir does etc but the time to move him is now i think. they gave him hsi chance-he didnt grab hold of the spot.
No way. He is only 22. They need to show patience with him, and the long term return will be a decade plus with a front of the rotation pitcher.
Steve

Rockville Centre, NY

#11 Sep 25, 2008
The Yankees will pick up two top starters for what ever money it takes this off season. Phil is playing for a 5th spot (at best) in the rotation.

“27 wins”

Since: Jan 07

Bradford, PA

#12 Sep 25, 2008
The Red Sox stuck with Lester, despite the cancer, and it's paid off for them. Hughes pitching in Arizona will show if he can be consistent.

Coke looks like the left-hander I thought Marte would be, and I like Nady in right field if NY passes on Abreu
Hubba Bubba

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Sep 25, 2008
El Viejo wrote:
The Red Sox stuck with Lester, despite the cancer, and it's paid off for them. Hughes pitching in Arizona will show if he can be consistent.
Coke looks like the left-hander I thought Marte would be, and I like Nady in right field if NY passes on Abreu
Baseball Rules needs your flaming arsh. He's waiting.........
BILLYBALL ONE

United States

#14 Sep 26, 2008
IF HANK & HAL HAD any BRAINS they would not resign Andy Steroid Petitte. 14-14 ERA over 5.43 - Time for new blood - A.J. C.C.- But knowing Cashman he will resign the same old over paid BUMS - I rather Bring back Yogi Berra & Whitey Ford.
Speed

United States

#15 Sep 26, 2008
AJ is 31.
CC is 28.

I agree that the staff should get younger.

To have both would be great, but I would be happy and more realistic to just land CC. Rumors say he wants to be on the west coast....unless that is just a ploy to get more money offered up.

I think they'll get one of the two....hopefully it is the 28 year old.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bobby Abreu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
News Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
News Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
News Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
News Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
News Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
News Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1
More from around the web