Depleted Yankees are hardly in crisis...

Depleted Yankees are hardly in crisis mode

There are 6 comments on the Newsday story from May 2, 2008, titled Depleted Yankees are hardly in crisis mode. In it, Newsday reports that:

It's become our default position in Yankee Land, after all of these years: As the season progresses, and the American League East penthouse remains occupied by a club other than one owned by the Steinbrenner ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Scooter28

Manchester, CT

#1 May 2, 2008
This is actually one of the better articles written about the Yankees this year. I am tired of reading articles that the Yankees made a mistake in not trading for Santana and all is lost for this season, blah blah blah. The simple fact is - the Yankees were not going to outbid themselves on the Santana trade and that is exactly what the Twins asked them to do by adding Kennedy. The Mets deal was a joke and you will see that in the next few years when none of those guys do anything. On the other hand, you will see stars in Kennedy and Hughes and also which no one is talking about - Melky. Cabrera is hitting .300 with 5 home runs and is playing a stellar centerfield. Compare his numbers to Ellsbury and Gomez. Please. Every young stud pitcher gets his lumps. Check out all the great pitchers first years - they all stunk. Hughes and kennedy will be stars and Cashman will be applauded for it. Good article by Davidoff...
going your way

New York, NY

#2 May 2, 2008
Its obvious that the writer is not really paying attention in Yankee-land. If the Yankees don't make the playoffs Cashman probably doesn't make it to next season. If you think that the impetuous Hankenstein is going to be happy watching the alleged "studs" suffer growing pains you are fooling yourself. He has already blown smoke how he wanted Santana. If it doesn't work Cashman will be gone and the Yankees will be trying to throw gobs of cash on the bloated C.C. Sabathia. Cashman has overrated his prospects and this will cost him his job.
man

New York, NY

#3 May 2, 2008
i somewhat agree about C.C. the Yanks will go after him, they pretty much need to. he will pull big big $ and will either get long term cuz that's what market and agents are calling for, or will go elsewhere for same. although i think alot will depend on where the Indians are come all star break. if they way out of it, they may look to move him then rather than wait until offseason and allow him to walk away for nothing. either way...Cashman needs to give some thought to and stand by his decisions.
yes Melky is doing well. his success @ the plate suprised me. didnt think he was to be hitting this well so soon. his defense i always liked. he's got a great arm in CF and tracks balls well. i wasnt in favor of trading him, but instead looking to see if they would take say 2 other minor leaguers in place.

“YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#4 May 2, 2008
Scooter28 wrote:
This is actually one of the better articles written about the Yankees this year. I am tired of reading articles that the Yankees made a mistake in not trading for Santana and all is lost for this season, blah blah blah. The simple fact is - the Yankees were not going to outbid themselves on the Santana trade and that is exactly what the Twins asked them to do by adding Kennedy. The Mets deal was a joke and you will see that in the next few years when none of those guys do anything. On the other hand, you will see stars in Kennedy and Hughes and also which no one is talking about - Melky. Cabrera is hitting .300 with 5 home runs and is playing a stellar centerfield. Compare his numbers to Ellsbury and Gomez. Please. Every young stud pitcher gets his lumps. Check out all the great pitchers first years - they all stunk. Hughes and kennedy will be stars and Cashman will be applauded for it. Good article by Davidoff...
Comparing stats isn't the "end all be all". If you want to compare Melkey to Ellsbury, compare who has the ring and who doesn't...after all, winning the WS is what its all about...not who has the better stats.
TollJob

Dover, FL

#5 May 3, 2008
Uncle Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Comparing stats isn't the "end all be all". If you want to compare Melkey to Ellsbury, compare who has the ring and who doesn't...after all, winning the WS is what its all about...not who has the better stats.
Ya and Jeter has 4 so what!

LOL

The Yankees has 26. How many do the Red Socks have?

Where were you people between 96 and 00? Hiding in your hole thats where!
Mark

Hanover, MA

#6 May 3, 2008
Uncle Jack wrote:
<quoted text>
Comparing who has the ring to who doesn't is a totally ridiculous premise when comparing individual performance. By that standard, the third string catcher for the Yankees between the years 1939-1960 was a better player than Ted Williams because he had rings and Ted didn't. Why would you even embarrass yourself with such nonsense. God, Luis Sojo was a part of what, three championship teams with the Yankees during Pedro Martinez' brilliant tenure in Boston. Is Luis Sojo better than Pedro, also? Good grief.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bobby Abreu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
News Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
News Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
News Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
News Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
News Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
News Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1
More from around the web