Source: Yankees don't regret spending...

Source: Yankees don't regret spending spree

There are 42 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 24, 2008, titled Source: Yankees don't regret spending spree. In it, Newsday reports that:

The Yankees have no regrets about their December spending spree, a source said Wednesday, despite criticism from other clubs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

kat

Miami, FL

#21 Dec 25, 2008
oh pleaze wrote:
The Yankees did what they needed to in order to be competitive. They added protection in the line up for A Rod and vastly improved infield defense through Teixeira, and picked up the two premier pitchers of this year's free agency. I do not think that the yankees are through yet, either through trades or signings. The Yankees shed some bad signings, and hopefully made some good ones, expecially Teixeira. I hate sports writers who are jealous of the salaries earned by the players they cover.
. I have a few questions, why the "BEST PLAYER IN BASEBALL" A-Rod need protection??? and why is a pitcher who is always injured and never won more than 12 games except for his walk-year 2008 one of the best pitchers in the game (Burnett). Maybe you can answer these questions.
kat

Miami, FL

#22 Dec 25, 2008
Frankie wrote:
See the real problem why all the Yankee haters are posting now is because this year they saw the Yankees not making the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. So now all the Yankee haters are now very angry, very bitter, very jealous, very envious, very frustrated, etc. and really just can't stand the fact that the Yankees improved themselves. It just now drives all those Yankee haters crazy that the Yankees will now be back in the playoffs next
year. So their hatefilled sick
obsession will just continue as they have all proven with all their postings on any board where anything about the Yankees is posted.
Yankees if they do make the playoffs, they should with a billion dollar payroll will be one and done, as they have the last 3X. A-Rod, CC are not playoff calibre players as proven by there performances
Pete

Las Vegas, NV

#23 Dec 25, 2008
Bye bye Andy the offer was on the table long enough,no one else will give himthat kind of money he's washed up go to the astro's like you did last time you along with Clemens have worn out your welcome a greedy lier and be wih your family see you at old timers day thats it for you.
jperez

Snellville, GA

#24 Dec 25, 2008
If you hate the Yankees then hate Capitalism too!
Jim from Middle GA

Warner Robins, GA

#25 Dec 25, 2008
Pinstripe Palooka wrote:
With the cast of men they've assembled, I like to think the result can go one of two ways.
1 - Despite their "buying" a team (as if investing in your business was a sin), the '09 Yankees will play as a coherent dream team that will tear the Red Sox a 2nd @$$hole.
OR!
2 - It will turn into a soap opera of divas that'll make the mishegas of the '77 Bronx Zoo look like a Trappist monestary on Easter Sunday.
Disclosure: I remember the '77 Zoo. Absolutely EVERYTHING you heard about it was true!
Godspeed to the '09 Yankees and happy holidays to all my baseball lvong bretheren.
Final footnote: Letting Abreu go was a mistake. He was one of the better batters of last year, played with a ton of heart and still has that rifle throwing arm from right.(He may have a phobia about knocking his coconut against the RF wall but that could be cured.)
I liked Bobby as well. He had one of the best (at least in the top 3) arm in the AL. Most runners dont even think of taking third on a single or going home on a short hit. He alsways had a deep count as well. That stuff is missing from most of today's hack on first try batters. I hope Nady can patrol RF near as well.
Jim from Middle GA

Warner Robins, GA

#26 Dec 25, 2008
kat wrote:
<quoted text>. I have a few questions, why the "BEST PLAYER IN BASEBALL" A-Rod need protection??? and why is a pitcher who is always injured and never won more than 12 games except for his walk-year 2008 one of the best pitchers in the game (Burnett). Maybe you can answer these questions.
If you need to know why even the best batter needs protection, maybe you should know a bit more about the sport. Ever hear of "pitching around a guy". Think of what happened to Manny when Big Papi was injured. As far as Burnett, everyome else was after him and the Yanks threw another year more than everyone else. No one said AJ was the best in the game (another good reason for you to read up some more). The salaries are always a result of what is available- if you have 1-2 good pitchers and evryone needs pitching, their value skyrockets. This is basic stuff.
Jim from Middle GA

Warner Robins, GA

#27 Dec 25, 2008
Pete wrote:
Bye bye Andy the offer was on the table long enough,no one else will give himthat kind of money he's washed up go to the astro's like you did last time you along with Clemens have worn out your welcome a greedy lier and be wih your family see you at old timers day thats it for you.
Almost every Yankees fans respects Petite for what he had done (key word is has). Th eold days the team would carry a guy for a couple of years as sort of a thank you, at today's salaries that is not goioing to happen. Offer him 12 mil, if he is smart he will grab it and ask Moose how to revise pitching when the arm strength isnt enough to get by. Moose had a terrible 2007 season, worked at it and performed tremendous in 2008. Good to see him go out on his terms.
Andy can do it. The young arms can stay in the pen and wotk their way up. I would much rather see Coke, Hughes etc.... be the 5th and have Joba in the pen working the 7-8th and being groomed for Mo's replacement.
Look how good the pen worked last year with a new manager.
Frankie

Pleasanton, CA

#28 Dec 25, 2008
kat wrote:
<quoted text>.
Yankees if they do make the playoffs, they should with a billion dollar payroll will be one and done, as they have the last 3X. A-Rod, CC are not playoff calibre players as proven by there performances
Maybe one day losers like you will get over your psychotic obsession of what the Yankees are doing or what you hope they do or what your stupid predictions are about them.
It's pathetic and sad the way you act but losers like you are too stupid to realize that.
Jim

AOL

#29 Dec 25, 2008
Jim from Middle GA wrote:
<quoted text>
If you need to know why even the best batter needs protection, maybe you should know a bit more about the sport. Ever hear of "pitching around a guy". Think of what happened to Manny when Big Papi was injured. As far as Burnett, everyome else was after him and the Yanks threw another year more than everyone else. No one said AJ was the best in the game (another good reason for you to read up some more). The salaries are always a result of what is available- if you have 1-2 good pitchers and evryone needs pitching, their value skyrockets. This is basic stuff.
Don't even waste your time trying to explain things to that clueless loser of a Mets fan. He knows nothing about the game but tries to play with the big boys. He'd give his nuts to have the Mets make the playoffs but is critical of the Yanks.
He's already started with his '09 predictions, but wait till he starts with the Mets predictions. If they weren't so dumb they'd be funny!
Best not to respond to him because the more he's ignored, the harder he tries to get some attention!!!
Jim

AOL

#30 Dec 25, 2008
Frankie wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe one day losers like you will get over your psychotic obsession of what the Yankees are doing or what you hope they do or what your stupid predictions are about them.
It's pathetic and sad the way you act but losers like you are too stupid to realize that.
So you know KAT the loser!!!!!!!!!!
HarleyRider

Brooklyn, NY

#31 Dec 25, 2008
onlyaname wrote:
Only shows what they have for brains nothing up there except air. Our country in the shape it is in and people like this throwing away money...baseball used to be a fun game to watch now its all about idiots and lets see who makes the most money...Shame on them.
You guys should be happy count this. it seems most companies are laying employees off, yet in their effort to do their part to help the economy, they HIRED 3 new employees!!!
Jim

AOL

#32 Dec 25, 2008
Personally, I think the offer to Andy was a generous one and should have been off the table weeks ago. He looked a gift horse in the mouth for too long! Sorry Andy but thanks for the memories!
HarleyRider

Brooklyn, NY

#33 Dec 25, 2008
HarleyRider wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys should be happy count this. it seems most companies are laying employees off, yet in their effort to do their part to help the economy, they HIRED 3 new employees!!!
*happy about this*
Jim

AOL

#34 Dec 25, 2008
HarleyRider wrote:
<quoted text>
*happy about this*
Hey Harley-Merry Christmas buddy!
Frankie

Pleasanton, CA

#35 Dec 25, 2008
Jim wrote:
Personally, I think the offer to Andy was a generous one and should have been off the table weeks ago. He looked a gift horse in the mouth for too long! Sorry Andy but thanks for the memories!
Pettitte is cooked, done, and kaput as far as being a great pitcher. Do you trust him to pitch a good game anymore? There are many teams out there who can use pitching so where are all the offers out there for Pettitte? I don't remember him pitching well this past year even one time after June. Maybe I'm wrong about that but if he does pitch a great game there will still be 4 or 5
"bad" games pitched by him or so it seems. Just as we had to say goodbye to Bernie we also have to do the same now with Andy.
gpnes1

Stonington, CT

#36 Dec 25, 2008
If the Yankees wanted to, they could pull their offer from Pettitte and offer slightly more to Sheets who is younger and more of an upside. It could be a one or year offer allowing him to test the market again when there are less #1 pitchers available and he could get a bigger contract then. Even with a 12 to 13 million dollar increase, the Yankees would still have a lower payroll than last year and they would have a much better pitcher also.
Chris

West Islip, NY

#37 Dec 25, 2008
I'll bet Andy Pettit would pitch for nothing next season, just to be in the new stadium. Does he really need 10,000,000?
luvthegame

Rockville Centre, NY

#38 Dec 25, 2008
It really wouldn't be a big deal normally, I understand the whole, they are actually lower in budget with the removal of some of the big payrolls that are gone.

However, where do they get the gonads to NOW ask the city and tax payers for money to pay for the stadium......that is what is unread.

Balls......
luvthegame

Rockville Centre, NY

#39 Dec 25, 2008
onlyaname is a wrote:
sore loser Mets fan!
That's right - someone has something to say against it and you ASSume its a Met fan........stop worry what Met Fans think and start beating the teams in your own division and league.

Oh wait - I know what comes next

26 WS titles.....wahoo hoo ....I'm a bafoon and thats all I know how to say......one day I can actually have an intelligent argument.....
John

Ridge, NY

#40 Dec 26, 2008
Newsday's New Year's resolution should be to try and write at least one sports story per day that's not based on anonymous sources. This isn't Watergate here, it's sports. What good reason is there to constantly hide the sources? Unless you're just making stuff up. And why would they regret the spending spree two days after they did it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bobby Abreu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
News Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
News Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
News Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
News Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
News Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
News Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1
More from around the web