Source: Yankees don't regret spending...

Source: Yankees don't regret spending spree

There are 42 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 24, 2008, titled Source: Yankees don't regret spending spree. In it, Newsday reports that:

The Yankees have no regrets about their December spending spree, a source said Wednesday, despite criticism from other clubs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
onlyaname

Norwood, MA

#1 Dec 24, 2008
Only shows what they have for brains nothing up there except air. Our country in the shape it is in and people like this throwing away money...baseball used to be a fun game to watch now its all about idiots and lets see who makes the most money...Shame on them.
onlyaname is a

Suffern, NY

#2 Dec 24, 2008
sore loser Mets fan!

Since: Feb 07

Brentwood, NY

#3 Dec 24, 2008
Their payroll actually DROPPED so what's the story here? They spend less and still get bashed?
Ur notsosmart

Bangkok, Thailand

#4 Dec 24, 2008
They may regret it after the season.You pay them too much and they don't care about playoff money,not hungry enough.
oh pleaze

AOL

#5 Dec 24, 2008
The Yankees did what they needed to in order to be competitive. They added protection in the line up for A Rod and vastly improved infield defense through Teixeira, and picked up the two premier pitchers of this year's free agency. I do not think that the yankees are through yet, either through trades or signings. The Yankees shed some bad signings, and hopefully made some good ones, expecially Teixeira. I hate sports writers who are jealous of the salaries earned by the players they cover.
david

Dollard-des-ormeaux, Canada

#6 Dec 24, 2008
onlyaname is a wrote:
sore loser Mets fan!
or a hypocrite RedSucks fan! It seems if any other team signs the big name free agents, its great for baseball but when the Yankees do it, its everyone crying like a baby and saying the game is ruined. Ever since the mid 90's when Yankees started winning, baseball popularity has increased every year. Whereever Yankees go play especially the small markets, they sell out! Last 8 years different teams won the WS including small markets. So how exactly are the Yankees ruining baseball? Like I said, nothing but hypocrites and cry babies out there who are jealous of Yankee ownership who are not afraid to spend to put the best product out there!
Frankie

San Jose, CA

#7 Dec 24, 2008
See the real problem why all the Yankee haters are posting now is because this year they saw the Yankees not making the playoffs for the first time in 14 years. So now all the Yankee haters are now very angry, very bitter, very jealous, very envious, very frustrated, etc. and really just can't stand the fact that the Yankees improved themselves. It just now drives all those Yankee haters crazy that the Yankees will now be back in the playoffs next
year. So their hatefilled sick
obsession will just continue as they have all proven with all their postings on any board where anything about the Yankees is posted.
NYStateOfMind

Ridgewood, NY

#8 Dec 24, 2008
It's interesting to me there are no less than 11 versions of this signing by various sportswriters. In a word: whatever...

The Yankee spending on FA's is nothing more than an obvious sign that their farm system hasn't produced the prospects like they did in the 1990's...

Let's see if this spending does produce a World Series appearance...
anthony

Grand Junction, CO

#9 Dec 24, 2008
I think all the teams should stop crying about the yankees and know that this is what we do . No One said anything when Boston shelled out 50 mill just to talk to dice-k. So shut up losers and deal with it this happens every year with the yankees it's just No One thought we could get all three players. If we add Manny now thats a team i wouldn't want to play, and just think 1.5 boston fans 1.5 just like that Bucky F@#$#ing
Dent deal right? HAHAHA I Love The Yanks
anthony

Grand Junction, CO

#10 Dec 24, 2008
reading the comments on here i feel like some of the people are just plain stupid what the yankees did is take away from the red sox people come on who's with me on that one when i heard that i was happy as hell screw the sux i hope they choke next year go yanks
BILLYBALL ONE

United States

#11 Dec 25, 2008
PULL THE $10 MILLION DOLLAR OFFER ALREADY - TIME TO MOVE ON TO PHIL COKE, ACEVES, HUGHS ANYBODY BUT PETTITTE . . . . I AM NO BRIAN CASHMAN FAN - BECAUSE HE LET OUR PITCHING STAFF GO FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS - BUT WELL DONE SO FAR - PITCHING IS 75% OF THE GAME ( BILLY MARTIN )
BILLYBALL ONE

United States

#12 Dec 25, 2008
We need at leat one more Quality starting pitcher. Joba belongs in the bullpen. He won't last the whole season. GO YANKEES . . . .
SAD

Watertown, CT

#13 Dec 25, 2008
anthony wrote:
reading the comments on here i feel like some of the people are just plain stupid what the yankees did is take away from the red sox people come on who's with me on that one when i heard that i was happy as hell screw the sux i hope they choke next year go yanks
I HOPE you're going to sue your school.
Girardi

Highland, NY

#14 Dec 25, 2008
BILLYBALL ONE wrote:
PULL THE $10 MILLION DOLLAR OFFER ALREADY - TIME TO MOVE ON TO PHIL COKE, ACEVES, HUGHS ANYBODY BUT PETTITTE .... I AM NO BRIAN CASHMAN FAN - BECAUSE HE LET OUR PITCHING STAFF GO FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS - BUT WELL DONE SO FAR - PITCHING IS 75% OF THE GAME ( BILLY MARTIN )
Your right yanks dont need a cheating lier let him stay in Houston with mentor Clemens !
Bronx Born

Waynesville, NC

#15 Dec 25, 2008
Enough already with the spending BS, it was money recouped from exiting players.
While I am thrilled with the additions so far, I am concerned about chemistry. Can, will, Jeter and A-Rod bury the hatchet and become team mates again? The same goes for our two new pitchers and Posada. Will he be able to get the best out of them all season? Time will tell, but the season looks REAL good on paper.
Pinstripe Palooka

New York, NY

#16 Dec 25, 2008
With the cast of men they've assembled, I like to think the result can go one of two ways.

1 - Despite their "buying" a team (as if investing in your business was a sin), the '09 Yankees will play as a coherent dream team that will tear the Red Sox a 2nd @$$hole.

OR!

2 - It will turn into a soap opera of divas that'll make the mishegas of the '77 Bronx Zoo look like a Trappist monestary on Easter Sunday.

Disclosure: I remember the '77 Zoo. Absolutely EVERYTHING you heard about it was true!

Godspeed to the '09 Yankees and happy holidays to all my baseball lvong bretheren.

Final footnote: Letting Abreu go was a mistake. He was one of the better batters of last year, played with a ton of heart and still has that rifle throwing arm from right.(He may have a phobia about knocking his coconut against the RF wall but that could be cured.)
Jack

New Rochelle, NY

#17 Dec 25, 2008
NYStateOfMind wrote:
It's interesting to me there are no less than 11 versions of this signing by various sportswriters. In a word: whatever...
The Yankee spending on FA's is nothing more than an obvious sign that their farm system hasn't produced the prospects like they did in the 1990's...
Let's see if this spending does produce a World Series appearance...
Agree. The other downside here is that they will be giving up quite a few draft picks for signing these Type A FAs, which further bankrupts the minor league system. As a Met fan, I don't begrudge the Yanks signing these players; it would actually be less interesting in NY if they didn't(last year was a big snore when they decided to build around the kids).
Plain Truth

Colonial Heights, VA

#18 Dec 25, 2008
Girardi wrote:
<quoted text>Your right yanks dont need a cheating lier let him stay in Houston with mentor Clemens !
This one about sums up the Yankee Fan Mentality, "Lier"? Could this one possibly mean LIAR? This one also must use the old standby of "dont", possibly this mentally challenged one meant, Don't?

I guess that Uncle George can purchase a ball team, he can purchase a new ball field, however, he will still have the same idiots following his team.
Tom

East Quogue, NY

#19 Dec 25, 2008
You need a unnamed source to tell you the Yankees are happy? C'mon, take a journalism class or something.
Anyway, I think the Yankees should get Manny too. Consider the 3-4-5 spots in the batting order. It went from Abreu-Arod-Giambi to Teixeira-Arod-Matsui (I guess). It didn't really improve that much, if at all. Now, Manny-Teixeira-Arod, that would be a big improvement.
kat

Homestead, FL

#20 Dec 25, 2008
Carter Burke wrote:
Their payroll actually DROPPED so what's the story here? They spend less and still get bashed?
....and still don't make the playoffs. Yankees by Sept 28 will be the laughing stock of MLB!!!!!
Hahahahahaha

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bobby Abreu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
News Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
News Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
News Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
News Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
News Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
News Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1