Angels top Yankees, 10-6

Full story: Newsday

It really doesn't seem to matter how these games start in this ballpark. Just about all of them end in the same frustrating way for the Yankees.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of40
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jim

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

Time for Joba to go back to the BP!
Tom

Bellport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

I can't wait to hear this idiot sugarcoat this one. "Oh but I felt real good just before I gave up another big homerun." And what is Girardi doing putting in Bruney when he clearly has nothing??? Anytime this manager is called to make an important decision he fouls it up. The sad part is this team is too good for him. Girardi you suck!
Jim

Uxbridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

It's now official: Anaheim Stadium is now the house of horrors for the Yanks. They don't pitch well there, don't execute there, and have now lost 15 out of the last 20 in that stadium. That stadium is in their heads as much as the Angels are!
Jim

Uxbridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Oh yeah forgot, Joba Rules says that he needs to improve and learn from it. Well, that is the sticking point Joba man, you are not learning and making progress, in fact you are regressing. If anybody says otherwise,
they are deluding themselves, but not me!
Ed Z

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Both Jim's are right. Joba doesn't have what "it" takes to be a starter - was anyone comfortable with those 4 run leads?- and Anaheim is a place the Yanks don't play well at all. So the scary part - can't win in LA and have yet to beat Boston - the two main roadblocks to WS again this year.
Jim

Uxbridge, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Ed Z wrote:
Both Jim's are right. Joba doesn't have what "it" takes to be a starter - was anyone comfortable with those 4 run leads?- and Anaheim is a place the Yanks don't play well at all. So the scary part - can't win in LA and have yet to beat Boston - the two main roadblocks to WS again this year.
Ed, to answer your question, I was sitting last night, 4-0 then 5-1, and I was not comfortable at all. And another thing, he just lets up a run in the 5th, 2 on, and he goes with his THIRD best pitch, a hanging curveball to Morales that I think I would have hit out, haha! Who the hell called for a curve there?
John From Windham Maine

South Paris, ME

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Jim wrote:
Time for Joba to go back to the BP!
Totally agree.He doesn't have what it takes to be an effective starter.I will say however, last nights lose was a team effort.The starting pitching stunk. The bullpen wasn't much better.Guys who make many millions of dollars a year should not be dropping pop ups that little leaugers are expected to catch.
NYStateOfMind

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

I'm going to show age here...

Many pitchers have had struggles early in their major league career. One that comes to mind is Nolan Ryan. Back in 1970 and 1971, he couldn't get the ball over the plate if he was standing 10 feet from the plate throwing underhand. When the trade was made for Jim Fregosi (yikes!), the Angels made it known that Nolan Ryan will have the time to develop and would live with the results. The rest, as they say is history...

This is no way an attempt of any comparison. Sometimes, certain pitchers have a longer learning curve. I do believe he "it". Just look at the game last season at Boston against Beckett. He has the pitches to be successful at the major league level. I see this as an issue of developing consistency and learning the nuances of being a starting pitcher in the major leagues...
Jimmy

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Trying to figure out what is up with Joba, but clearly, he is not performing! What I am beginning to believe is that it may have something to do with his head....his maturity level...to stay 100% focused throughout the game...not the sharpest knife in the draw by any means. I really question him as a starter until proven otherwise. Perhaps he is just a one or two inning reliever..but a decision has to be made because every time he pitches it makes me very nervous. He has had a lot of offense/run support behind him to take any preasure off of him.
Diogenes

Ridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

The Joba rule should kick in after 25 pitches. This seems to be his max. The Yankee rule seems to be get 2 strikes now throw 4 balls to see if the batter will reach for them. The Pitching coach is suspect on this team. The pitching philosophy is suspect. The team doesn't seem to win very many low scoring games.
Joe

Ridge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Joba is showing signs that bullpen may be his calling. He's got about the same number of starts as Pettitte, Burnett and Sabathia but way less innings, and thus, way less decisions. The team does have a good record in his starts, but he's putting himself at the mercy of the bullpen.
Battfist

Trenton, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Note to Joba:

Youre disappointing more than just your teammates...the fans that stand behind you as a starter.

Get your azzzz back in the bullpen where you belong.
loose ball

Hilton Head Island, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Since being injured last year, Joba has not been the same. Last night most of his fastballs were in the high eighties/low nineties. He has lost 5-6 mph.

Perhaps being back in the bullpen would be better for Joba and the team.
Pine Tar

Shirley, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Throw him back in the bullpen! jeez. enough of this.
Just fist me No grease

Westwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Pee-U
Babe Ruth

Middle Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

First of all , bringing up A-Roid's and Palmeiro's HR numbers means nothing anymore !!
Second of all it's time to put Joba back in the pen !! Case closed !
Jerry

Wantagh, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

He's definitely lost something. He threw a number of fastballs at 87, made me look twice to make sure it was Joba.
loose ball wrote:
Since being injured last year, Joba has not been the same. Last night most of his fastballs were in the high eighties/low nineties. He has lost 5-6 mph.
Perhaps being back in the bullpen would be better for Joba and the team.
biff

West Babylon, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Fear the monkey. Don't laugh at it. Fear it. Gain strength from it's power. Understand it. Realize that any Yankee effort to undo Halo dominance of the pinstripes is futile. Go ahead. Get hot. Go on a streak. Start making World Series plans. Sweep the Twins. Pretend that you are actually a great team. Just remember, the monkey will do what he always does since people started paying attention to the Yankees again in 1995. Destroy the Yankees. It's truly an amazing dominance. Two best Halos on the DL? No trouble. The monkey will take care of it?
Fear the monkey to conquer it.
Burnett is da man

Amityville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

NYStateOfMind wrote:
I'm going to show age here...
Many pitchers have had struggles early in their major league career. One that comes to mind is Nolan Ryan. Back in 1970 and 1971, he couldn't get the ball over the plate if he was standing 10 feet from the plate throwing underhand. When the trade was made for Jim Fregosi (yikes!), the Angels made it known that Nolan Ryan will have the time to develop and would live with the results. The rest, as they say is history...
This is no way an attempt of any comparison. Sometimes, certain pitchers have a longer learning curve. I do believe he "it". Just look at the game last season at Boston against Beckett. He has the pitches to be successful at the major league level. I see this as an issue of developing consistency and learning the nuances of being a starting pitcher in the major leagues...
Good analysis - the only thing is that Joba's got decent control and his velocity is no where near Nolan's - his pitches are just fat and flat and what happened to that killer slider? You rarely see it now - is it because the hitters have figured it out, and lay off it, or it just has no bite? Oh yeah, why bring up Melansux, and dropping Alby, when Albaladejo has been pitching well? And Girardi brought Melansux and Bruney in because the bp was spent from the Aceves start. Give Mitre a shot, but Chamberlain is a MAJOR concern right now...VERY disappointing. Saying he looks pedestrian and lacking guts is an understatement. He truly needs a mental overhaul as well.
Burnett is da man

Amityville, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2009

Jimmy wrote:
Trying to figure out what is up with Joba, but clearly, he is not performing! What I am beginning to believe is that it may have something to do with his head....his maturity level...to stay 100% focused throughout the game...not the sharpest knife in the draw by any means. I really question him as a starter until proven otherwise. Perhaps he is just a one or two inning reliever..but a decision has to be made because every time he pitches it makes me very nervous. He has had a lot of offense/run support behind him to take any preasure off of him.
Well said.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of40
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bobby Abreu Discussions

Search the Bobby Abreu Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1
•••
•••