White Sox GM Kenny Williams mum on reported offer to Bobby Abreu

There are 83 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 3, 2009, titled White Sox GM Kenny Williams mum on reported offer to Bobby Abreu. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams refused to comment on a report that he had offered a one-year, $8 million contract to free-agent right fielder Bobby Abreu .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

Fred

Lombard, IL

#21 Feb 3, 2009
I would rather have Adam Dunn and his potential 50 home runs playing at the cell.
Louie St Louie

AOL

#22 Feb 3, 2009
KAG wrote:
This shows the disparity and essential unfairness of baseball economics. As a medium-$$ team, the White Sox can spend but must be somewhat thrifty. Meanwhile, big-$$ franchises like NY, Boston, the Cubs and LA can spend like crazy without worry, while small-market clubs like KC and Milwaukee operate at a distinct disadvantage.
How can this unfair system be made more fair?
By loading up with top draft picks and hiring a qualified AND patient manager as Tampa did.
Jack Dawson

AOL

#23 Feb 3, 2009
KAG wrote:
This shows the disparity and essential unfairness of baseball economics. As a medium-$$ team, the White Sox can spend but must be somewhat thrifty. Meanwhile, big-$$ franchises like NY, Boston, the Cubs and LA can spend like crazy without worry, while small-market clubs like KC and Milwaukee operate at a distinct disadvantage.
Adopt the NFL's salary cap. It's no coincidence that yesterday's Super Bowl was the third most watched television show in history (last years Super Bowl and MASH's finale at one and two). Meanwhile, record lows have been set for the past ten Red Sox-less Worls Series.
Cubsgetalife

United States

#24 Feb 3, 2009
KW Fan, you and Whatever miss the point completely

I told you white sox fan. These are damn idiot brainless Cub fans.. They just spin it like what it is going on their paranoia brain. No wonder cub are spiralling down.. So go beg Jim henry on how come you traded whole farm system for no name players. Cubs fans are damn idiot and paranoia..
KW Fan

Lake Bluff, IL

#25 Feb 3, 2009
KAG wrote:
<quoted text>
K It would be nice to see intelligent responses, not empty-brained smart-alecky ones.
It would be nice to see intelligent question, not empty-brained smart-alecky ones.
KW Fan

Lake Bluff, IL

#26 Feb 3, 2009
Cubsgetalife wrote:
KW Fan, you and Whatever miss the point completely
I told you white sox fan. These are damn idiot brainless Cub fans.. They just spin it like what it is going on their paranoia brain. No wonder cub are spiralling down.. So go beg Jim henry on how come you traded whole farm system for no name players. Cubs fans are damn idiot and paranoia..
This one speaks for itself.
Public schools?
KW Fan

Lake Bluff, IL

#27 Feb 3, 2009
Jack Dawson wrote:
<quoted text> Adopt the NFL's salary cap. It's no coincidence that yesterday's Super Bowl was the third most watched television show in history (last years Super Bowl and MASH's finale at one and two). Meanwhile, record lows have been set for the past ten Red Sox-less Worls Series.
The NFL gets most of it's money from national television, MLB gets most of it's money from local television contracts. It won't be done because it makes no sense given those facts.
Nada Surf

B M Goldwater A F Range, AZ

#28 Feb 3, 2009
J W Chi wrote:
That poses an interesting scenario, If the do acquire Abreu, they find themselves in a position with a lot of corner outfielders as the article says. In a case like that it gives them options on who they want to keep. In the most talked about scenario Dye seems to be trade material. If they trade Dye for Starting pitching. possibly additional middle relief and a lead-off hitter it may in effect be the pieces needed to propel them into a very competitive position in the AL.
It will be giving up Dye's season HR, RBI totals and BA, however it will help acquire the needed Starting pitching, Middle relief and Possible Lead-off hitter..
It may not be the most liked scenario by some fans but, KW thinks it is a means to an end, the end being another AL Championship and quite possibly another World Series Title.
Is there a solution on the team already for CF or is there a trade needed for one? Has Anderson and Wise shown everything they have already? Or has Anderson improved at the plate enough to step up and finally fill the role?
I nearly DIED laughing at this ONE!!!!
So, let me see if I have this right: The Sox deal Dye for a starter, a reliever AND a lead-off hitter?
The only fair package in return would be Jaime Navarro (the starter), Shingo (the reliever) and Nick Swisher (the lead-off hitter).
While you've been in Saigon, Dye's stock has dropped like your IQ.
Shawn

United States

#29 Feb 3, 2009
kenny might have a hard on for chone but the guy hasn't done much but get injured lately. Yes we need a leadoff but if his hammys keep goin itll be like pods was at the end. Plus he's prob in his decline anyway
The R

Richton Park, IL

#30 Feb 3, 2009
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical liberal whining.
If you like the NFL, then you need to be quiet, because that league is as "liberal" as it gets, in attempting to spread the wealth.

Meanwhile, get off Limbaugh's nuts.
Nada Surf

#33 Feb 3, 2009
KAG wrote:
They probably should just have a super league of no cap consisting of:
NY Yankees
NY Mets
Boston
Cubs
Dodgers
Angels

Then they could have a salary cap league with everyone else.
Nada Surf

#34 Feb 3, 2009
Mike wrote:
Meh, I rather keep Dye than taking Abreu and trading Dye. They are pratically the same age. Do they really need to shed 3.5 million?
Was it WSI or the pantyhoser site that came up with "meh?"

I'd much rather have Abreu.
I haven't forgiven Dye for pouting all the way through '07 and contributing greatly to that disaster.
Nada Surf

#35 Feb 3, 2009
koachditker wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah. It's just chump change.
As long as I got your attention, can you spot me 3.5 mil?
One advantage may be that it won't take a homerun to score Abreu from 2nd base.
Bingo!
boss tweed mummert

Forest Park, IL

#36 Feb 3, 2009
KAG wrote:
talk to bud.
Nada Surf

#37 Feb 3, 2009
rocky wrote:
who really cares?no ball player should make more than 500,000 per year.nothing but a bounch of greety bastards.
So, the owners should take in all the rest of the money and leave the ballplayers susceptible to gamblers and the millions of dollars they could offer to throw a game or two?
I don't care who makes what, but I do care who pays what...
Starting this year, Bud Selig should make it mandatory that all teams hold at least %30 percent of all seats under $10 or $15.
Stretch

Oak Park, IL

#38 Feb 3, 2009
Could Abreu play center? we've had old guys play center before (everett,griffey)plus have defensive replacements in BA an owens
Nada Surf

#39 Feb 3, 2009
A Cynic wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical right-wing ad hominem attack, with the typical making of a partisan issue where there is none, to try to cover up the typical lack of anything intelligent to add to the discussion. It's brilliant input like yours that's the reason there's a White Sox fan in the White House, and for that I thank you.
Meanwhile, I assume the potential deal is because someone somewhere has the notion that we need a left-handed bat.
Atta boy!
Kill them right-wingers!
Nada Surf

#40 Feb 3, 2009
KW Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
But why would any team give the sox anything when they could just sign Abreu instead of trading for Dye? It doesn't add up. I say Dye stays until the deadline when there may be a decent market for him.
I can hardly believe it, but you ask a good question.
Paul

Oak Forest, IL

#41 Feb 3, 2009
I will take Bobby any day over facing the thought of a Anderson/Owens tandem.

If you think that is crazy then you are insane. Spoken by a true Sox fan for over 30 years.
Nada Surf

#42 Feb 3, 2009
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical liberal whining.
Typical right-wing response.
Just throw it in the faces of all fans in, say, KC, Minn and pretty much anywhere else that supported MLB all those years only to be told they can't compete...
And you guys wonder why I run anyone off the road that had a Bush/Cheney or a McCain/Pregnant Palin bumper sticker on their car?
MLB, however, made its own bed when they didn't force ballclubs to move where the supporting fans are, as in loading the NY metropolitan area with about 5-7 teams.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bobby Abreu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
News Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
News Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
News Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
News Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
News Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
News Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1
More from around the web