White Sox GM Kenny Williams mum on reported offer to Bobby Abreu

Full story: Chicago Tribune

White Sox general manager Kenny Williams refused to comment on a report that he had offered a one-year, $8 million contract to free-agent right fielder Bobby Abreu .

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of83
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Jean

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Feb 3, 2009
 
i dont like it
J W Chi

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Feb 3, 2009
 
That poses an interesting scenario, If the do acquire Abreu, they find themselves in a position with a lot of corner outfielders as the article says. In a case like that it gives them options on who they want to keep. In the most talked about scenario Dye seems to be trade material. If they trade Dye for Starting pitching. possibly additional middle relief and a lead-off hitter it may in effect be the pieces needed to propel them into a very competitive position in the AL.

It will be giving up Dye's season HR, RBI totals and BA, however it will help acquire the needed Starting pitching, Middle relief and Possible Lead-off hitter..

It may not be the most liked scenario by some fans but, KW thinks it is a means to an end, the end being another AL Championship and quite possibly another World Series Title.

Is there a solution on the team already for CF or is there a trade needed for one? Has Anderson and Wise shown everything they have already? Or has Anderson improved at the plate enough to step up and finally fill the role?
Steve

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Feb 3, 2009
 
I'm a big JD fan and would rather be done with Thome or Konerko, but thems is thems.

On a side note, if I'm the Dodgers and can save $17 million by signing Abreu over Manny (or taking JD and saving $15 mil in a trade) I don't think twice. Manny's a fantastic player and a sure-bet Hall Of Famer, but that's too much money. It's about time baseball wisened to its economic path.
Hardliner

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Feb 3, 2009
 
It fits right in with Kennynomics. They shed 3.5 Million from their payroll by signing Abreu for 8 Million and dumping Dyes 11.5 Million. Williams has had a hard on for Chone Figgens for a few years now just like he did for Griffey and the Angels need power but if a deal is made I bet it will be for more pitching prospects. I like it.
Drew

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Feb 3, 2009
 
J W Chi wrote:
Is there a solution on the team already for CF or is there a trade needed for one? Has Anderson and Wise shown everything they have already? Or has Anderson improved at the plate enough to step up and finally fill the role?
My guess is Anderson has not improved enough to be a starter. I hope I'm wrong.

As for this deal, it has got to be contingent on the fact that they can trade Dye, Konerko or Thome (hopefully for pitching or a true starting CF...Figgins???). I don't see KW signing Abreu w/out a trade in place for one of their vets. Otherwise I'd imagine their trade value diminishes as teams would see the Sox as having to dump someone.

If my assumption above is true, I like the deal.
Howman

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Feb 3, 2009
 
Come on, Kenny! Make it happen! I would expect big things from Abreu while playing for fellow Venezualian, Guillen.
BAC

Magnolia, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Feb 3, 2009
 
If Abreu bites for the 8 million, then Kenny can revisit the Dye for Homer Bailey trade, and give Cincinnati 3 million to offset the cost of Dye's salary. He gets a right fielder who is a close buddy of Ozzie, and gets another pitcher to fight for a starting job. Sounds good to me.
KAG

Mundelein, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Feb 3, 2009
 
This shows the disparity and essential unfairness of baseball economics. As a medium-$$ team, the White Sox can spend but must be somewhat thrifty. Meanwhile, big-$$ franchises like NY, Boston, the Cubs and LA can spend like crazy without worry, while small-market clubs like KC and Milwaukee operate at a distinct disadvantage.

How can this unfair system be made more fair?
Mike

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Feb 3, 2009
 
Meh, I rather keep Dye than taking Abreu and trading Dye. They are pratically the same age. Do they really need to shed 3.5 million?
koachditker

Carol Stream, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Feb 3, 2009
 
Mike wrote:
Meh, I rather keep Dye than taking Abreu and trading Dye. They are pratically the same age. Do they really need to shed 3.5 million?
Nah. It's just chump change.

As long as I got your attention, can you spot me 3.5 mil?

One advantage may be that it won't take a homerun to score Abreu from 2nd base.
Whatever

Champaign, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Feb 3, 2009
 
KAG wrote:
This shows the disparity and essential unfairness of baseball economics. As a medium-$$ team, the White Sox can spend but must be somewhat thrifty. Meanwhile, big-$$ franchises like NY, Boston, the Cubs and LA can spend like crazy without worry, while small-market clubs like KC and Milwaukee operate at a distinct disadvantage.
How can this unfair system be made more fair?
Typical liberal whining.
rocky

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Feb 3, 2009
 
who really cares?no ball player should make more than 500,000 per year.nothing but a bounch of greety bastards.
deputydawg

Lewisburg, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Feb 3, 2009
 
Mike wrote:
Meh, I rather keep Dye than taking Abreu and trading Dye. They are pratically the same age. Do they really need to shed 3.5 million?
I wonder if at this point in his career Abreu's on base% and strike out to walk ratio is probably better and still with some speed will hit into less DP's. I love Thome in the dugout but it's time to move on
A Cynic

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Feb 3, 2009
 
Whatever wrote:
<quoted text>
Typical liberal whining.
Typical right-wing ad hominem attack, with the typical making of a partisan issue where there is none, to try to cover up the typical lack of anything intelligent to add to the discussion. It's brilliant input like yours that's the reason there's a White Sox fan in the White House, and for that I thank you.

Meanwhile, I assume the potential deal is because someone somewhere has the notion that we need a left-handed bat.
KW Fan

Lake Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Feb 3, 2009
 
Hardliner wrote:
It fits right in with Kennynomics. They shed 3.5 Million from their payroll by signing Abreu for 8 Million and dumping Dyes 11.5 Million. Williams has had a hard on for Chone Figgens for a few years now just like he did for Griffey and the Angels need power but if a deal is made I bet it will be for more pitching prospects. I like it.
But why would any team give the sox anything when they could just sign Abreu instead of trading for Dye? It doesn't add up. I say Dye stays until the deadline when there may be a decent market for him.
KW Fan

Lake Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Feb 3, 2009
 
KAG wrote:
This shows the disparity and essential unfairness of baseball economics. As a medium-$$ team, the White Sox can spend but must be somewhat thrifty. Meanwhile, big-$$ franchises like NY, Boston, the Cubs and LA can spend like crazy without worry, while small-market clubs like KC and Milwaukee operate at a distinct disadvantage.
How can this unfair system be made more fair?
It is fair, if the sox and other teams did a better job of marketing their product, they would have more money to work with. Why should a team be penalized for being successful and be forced to carry the weight of organizations that only make the total product weaker? Reward success and the others will get better at what they do, or die off and be replaced by someone who is capable of doing the job right. That's how Reinsdorf got the club to begin with, and I suspect, it is how he will eventually lose it.
Fair? I don't think that's what you really want, it sounds like you really want charity.
Hardliner

Homer Glen, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Feb 3, 2009
 
KW Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
But why would any team give the sox anything when they could just sign Abreu instead of trading for Dye? It doesn't add up. I say Dye stays until the deadline when there may be a decent market for him.
You're probably right but half the fun at this time of year is the possibilities. Maybe Williams has a trade worked out with a team that needs a right-handed hitter who hits more home runs than Abreu, which would be Dye. Itís a strange year there is something like 70 free agents still available some of them All Stars and a few sure fire Hall of Famers but there are hardly any roster spots or money left. I have never seen anything like this.
KW Fan

Lake Forest, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Feb 3, 2009
 
Hardliner wrote:
<quoted text>
You're probably right but half the fun at this time of year is the possibilities. Maybe Williams has a trade worked out with a team that needs a right-handed hitter who hits more home runs than Abreu, which would be Dye. Itís a strange year there is something like 70 free agents still available some of them All Stars and a few sure fire Hall of Famers but there are hardly any roster spots or money left. I have never seen anything like this.
Agreed, there are going to be a lot of players switching/dumping agents this summer.
The other side of the coin is that there is as much young talent coming up right now as there has been in any season I can remember. Maybe there will be a new class of players that will realize they need to fight for their job every year and the quality of play will be even better. Maybe.
KAG

Round Lake, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Feb 3, 2009
 
KW Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
It is fair, if the sox and other teams did a better job of marketing their product, they would have more money to work with. Why should a team be penalized for being successful and be forced to carry the weight of organizations that only make the total product weaker? Reward success and the others will get better at what they do, or die off and be replaced by someone who is capable of doing the job right. That's how Reinsdorf got the club to begin with, and I suspect, it is how he will eventually lose it.
Fair? I don't think that's what you really want, it sounds like you really want charity.
KW Fan, you and Whatever miss the point completely - are you Cub fans? I was referring to small-market teams like KC and Milwaukee that have a very hard time competing due to their small markets - even with intelligent management. Yes, they can move, but that seems a drastic solution to a potentially soluble problem. Is there not some decent way to even the playing field? It would be nice to see intelligent responses, not empty-brained smart-alecky ones.
SoxFan

San Luis Obispo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Feb 3, 2009
 
Jean wrote:
i dont like it
Me neither. Keep Dye because unlike Abreu Dye isn't afraid to go up the wall and make a catch. Also Dye has a stronger arm. Don't get me wrong, I like Abreu but J.D. is just a better player.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of83
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Bobby Abreu Discussions

Search the Bobby Abreu Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••