O's walk off losers

There are 20 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from May 23, 2008, titled O's walk off losers. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

Standing in front of his locker in a quiet visiting clubhouse, Orioles reliever Jim Johnson willingly shouldered the blame for his team's 2-1 loss last night to the New York Yankees .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

“Orioles, Colts, Bullets ”

Since: Apr 08

Brewster, NY

#1 May 23, 2008
The Yankees beat us fair and square, two out of three. I was there again in the upper deck, and I was very happily surprised to see that there were at least 200 Orioles fans in Yankee Stadium, maybe more. I even heard occasional chants of "Let's Go Orioles." Not very loud, but they were there. It was great riding the New York City Subway in my Black and Orange Oriole gear again, too.
The game was great. It was by far the best of the three-game series against the Yanks, even though we lost. Great pitching on both ends, nothing to be ashamed of. Burress and Johnson were both great. Unfortunately, Ian Kennedy had his first good outing of the season, and the Yank relievers picked him up in the 7th, 8th, and 9th. We blew a big chance in the third when we only scored one run. With our first run already in, we had the bases loaded and only one out, but could not add more runs. Once again, kudos to Dave Trembley for having the balls to go against conventional pitch-count crap, and go with the starter until two outs in the eighth inning.
LJ Burgess

Kennedyville, MD

#2 May 23, 2008
Sick of it. I'm sick of this constant Oriole bashing by hack writers at a third rate daily rag. It's tiresome. Look at that headline ... why couldn't it say something like "Burres loses gem in the ninth" or "Orioles drop a close one". The Sun's O's reporters have spent the last decade bashing the Bird's and it should stop, stop right now. Andy McPhail is attempting to save the Orioles and the least yoou could do, since you make a living in Baltimore, is be a homer on occasion. Wake up Zrebiec, they're putting dinner on your table, your next stop might be Aberdeen.
If you want my eMail I can send you some tips on journalism.
Mike

Sykesville, MD

#3 May 23, 2008
"O's walk off losers", Are you freaking kidding me?
Alex

Stevensville, MD

#4 May 23, 2008
It's quite obvious that others can't stand the truth, so they keep their heads buried in orange colored sand.
Orwell

Bear, DE

#5 May 23, 2008
The loser is the author!
Prospect Expert

Baltimore, MD

#6 May 23, 2008
This latest loss illustrates the need for legit power hitters.

I certainly hope the name of Justin Smoak is first and foremost on Jordan's mind when he contemplates the O's first selection in June's draft, assuming Pedro will be taken by the time the Birds make their pick.
veedub

Englewood, CO

#7 May 23, 2008
Tough, tough loss last night. The O's got a magnificent start from Burres, and had numerous opportunities to take control of the game. Considering how solid we've been with RISP, leaving six runners on base is a little disheartening. You can only let the Yankees hang around for so long. I knew the lack of hitting would haunt us, and that definitely came to fruition last night.

Still, there's no time to dwell on the loss, as it doesn't get any easier over the next two weeks. Time to take two in Tampa Bay.

Go O's.
joe

Leonardtown, MD

#8 May 23, 2008
The ballgame was Nick's AB in the third, a third batter on any team with a young pitcher struggling has to at least make contact there. This offense is a work in progress to say the least but I now have faith that Burres can be a part of the final product.

Since: Apr 07

Parkville

#9 May 23, 2008
LJ Burgess wrote:
Sick of it. I'm sick of this constant Oriole bashing by hack writers at a third rate daily rag. It's tiresome. Look at that headline ... why couldn't it say something like "Burres loses gem in the ninth" or "Orioles drop a close one". The Sun's O's reporters have spent the last decade bashing the Bird's and it should stop, stop right now. Andy McPhail is attempting to save the Orioles and the least yoou could do, since you make a living in Baltimore, is be a homer on occasion. Wake up Zrebiec, they're putting dinner on your table, your next stop might be Aberdeen.
If you want my eMail I can send you some tips on journalism.
You are so right! It's not just the Baltimore Sun, but it is the entire media doing the bashing also. Why can't the say something nice for a change? You can't turn on a sports news program without them something negative. Burres pitched a good game and Johnson gave up a tough hit to Cano but the Orioles, regardless of the score constantly fight to play the best way they can. I kinda like this ream. Very scrappy tough to beat. At least when they lose, they go down fighting. I like the attitude that Dave Trembley has instilled in this team. They will only learn and get better as time goes forward.
Hatepaste

Philadelphia, PA

#10 May 23, 2008
Would agree somewhat. Its annoying when you constantly get bashed by the national media, and turn to local coverage and it is more of the same. So I'm not crazy about the title, but a good amount of the Sun's writers are pretty good.

Mark Teixeira in a Baltimore road jersey! Get onboard:
http://bringmarkhome.withthispetition.com

qbert

Manassas, VA

#11 May 23, 2008
Markakis looks like he deserves that BIG MONEY CONTRACT alot of you are upset that Angelos did not give his this year. McPhail is playing Markakis right, make him EARN the big $ he wants - right now he his getting paid about right.
Giambi should have called out BEFORE the questioned tip-bat strike three call, Johnson threw a nasty curveball that froze Giambi AND the umpire, that was right in the middle of the plate.
Abreu should have been called out on strikes and not have had four BOGUS balls called because most of those pitches were STRIKES! The ump was obviously "making up'" for the call against Giambi - even though Giambi was rightfully called out on strikes, be-it one pitch too late.
qbert

Manassas, VA

#12 May 23, 2008
The O's NEED Bonds right NOW, it's criminal that Bonds is not on this team (or some other team) right now. He is better than EVERY hitter on the O's squad!
ann

Rosedale, MD

#13 May 23, 2008
Yeah, what's with the 'losers' thing? The Oriole's aren't 'losers'. They lost the game, OK. There's another game tonight. Do you print these headlines just to get posts? Sad. Go Orioles!!!
joe kennedy

Roanoke, VA

#14 May 23, 2008
Giraradi won this game by getting tossed, disrupting Johnson's rhythm and energizing his players and the crowd. His delay wrecked everything -- and might have been designed to do just that. Give him credit.
Bronx College GPA

Middletown, DE

#15 May 23, 2008
Why did they include "walk off" in the Title section?
Attila the Hon

Itasca, IL

#16 May 23, 2008
Orwell wrote:
The loser is the author!
Misguided low blow. Jeff Zrebiec is a good Orioles beat writer and is not responsible for the creation of headlines & teasers. That would have to be the sports editors (Tribune Co. stooges?) who continue to ignore Crystal Palace Baltimore ( http://www.crystalpalaceusa.com/ ). Want to know more about the destructive nature of this newspaper's corporate overlords? Chew on this: http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/horsey/viewbyda... .

You can't pin this loss on the pitching. Swami & JJ did their jobs; they only gave up two runs. The offense is struggling miserably; Brian Roberts, in particular, is mired in a two-month slump. The player I'm most concerned with is my man Nicky Markakis. Usually he has a slow April. This season, it's May because he had a very respectable first month. I'm confident that he's going to fight out of this problem.

The Orioles have got to win tonight. Losses like the one last night can easily drive people to insanity.
Donald from Hagerstown

Hagerstown, MD

#17 May 23, 2008
qbert wrote:
The O's NEED Bonds right NOW, it's criminal that Bonds is not on this team (or some other team) right now. He is better than EVERY hitter on the O's squad!
Interesting choice of words,"criminal" that is. Sort of explains the reason why Bonds is not currently playing for anyone. And about last nights game, Bynum was playing out of position for Cano as Palmer pointed out just before he got that scratch hit, and Payton should have easily made that short throw from left field, after all he was playing in which was the correct position in that situation if he was going to have any chance to throw out the runner at the plate, so I don't entirely blame Johnson. Johnson has quickly and out of the blue turned into an all-star pitcher and nothing that happened last night changes that in my mind.
veedub

Englewood, CO

#18 May 23, 2008
qbert wrote:
No thanks.

And as far as Markakis goes, I'm obviously concerned with his slump (Ks especially) but he'll work out of it. I don't think MacPhail is playing this one right because Nick is undoubtedly the cornerstone of the rebuilding phase. I think he should show him the money now, considering we've dropped around 30M in payroll, and lock him up for many years. It's the only thing with MacPhail that I have a problem with.
Mike

York, PA

#19 May 23, 2008
:)
Jennifer

Towson, MD

#20 May 23, 2008
I hate the examiner but you all have to read this.....

http://www.examiner.com/a-1405537~Hey__whose_...

That right there is why I hate the following:
1. Red Sox Fans
2. Ushers at Camden Yards and
3. The person in the front office who decided that cheering for your team gets you kicked out of a game.

I've heard some nasty things come out of Yankee and Red Sox fans' mouths. This is just an embarassment to the city of Baltimore.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bobby Abreu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
News Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
News Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
News Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
News Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
News Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
News Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1
More from around the web