How To Fix Baseball In New York

How To Fix Baseball In New York

There are 9 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Sep 30, 2008, titled How To Fix Baseball In New York. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

The Mets and Yankees finished with identical 89-73 records, not bad but not good enough to make the playoffs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

mmmm

Cheshire, CT

#1 Sep 30, 2008
Joe Torre seems to have no problem this year. The Yankee owners are to blame for no post season play. Thanks Hank Steinbrenner.
Ticked off

United States

#3 Sep 30, 2008
The Yankees need to get some more reliable starting and middle inning pitching then teach the whole team how to get hit with people on base or in the clutch the Yankees failed to do that all year. A-Rod looks like he's trying to crush the ball out of the park when a base hit would score a run. The whole team needs to learn to play small ball.
bukake

Essex, MA

#4 Sep 30, 2008
to fix the problem just wipe the great state of ny right off the map. john rocker was right.
Anthony

Newington, CT

#5 Sep 30, 2008
bukake wrote:
to fix the problem just wipe the great state of ny right off the map. john rocker was right.
IDIOT OF THE DAY Nominee
Speed

Carmel, IN

#6 Sep 30, 2008
Ticked off wrote:
The Yankees need to get some more reliable starting and middle inning pitching then teach the whole team how to get hit with people on base or in the clutch the Yankees failed to do that all year. A-Rod looks like he's trying to crush the ball out of the park when a base hit would score a run. The whole team needs to learn to play small ball.
What do you think about them going after Jon Garland?
Steve

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Sep 30, 2008
Oh my goodness gracious! Of all the dramatic things I have ever seen...The New York Yankees will not be in the post season
npc

Pacific Palisades, CA

#8 Sep 30, 2008
The Yankees need to review thier history books. In 1936 they went on a streak in the early Joe D years with a team based on chemistry and a few stars and mostly grinders like Tommy Hendrick - old reliable. Look Babe Dalgren played 1B for an ailing Lou Gehrig and the Yankees won because of chemistry and team hunger. Somehow today's contracts have ruined the game. When I was a kid the Parcel Post driver who delivered packages in the off season to my dad's fishing tackle store in Brooklyn was Carl Furillo of the Dodgers. Carl was the original King of Queens. Fat chance any of today's Yankees are delivering packages this off season. You win with people, attitude and planning all of which were in short supply this year on the Yankees.
Lost in CT

Watertown, CT

#9 Sep 30, 2008
I agree with npc that team chemistry makes a huge difference in performance. Take the Yanks of a few years ago with Jeter, O'Neill, Williams, Brosius et al. That team worked like a well oiled machine. Individually (with the exception of Jeter some would argue)they weren't the best of the best, but collectivly they were dynamite. Whatever the answer is I hope they find it because, as a die hard Sox fan, the season to me is a bust if those two teams aren't battling to the very end. Honestly, who doesn't want to see a Sox/Yanks playoff matchup?
Buy a Championship

Manchester, CT

#10 Sep 30, 2008
The Yankees have got to stop trying to "buy" a championship. They have purchased a bunch of middle career players that are just worried about putting up stats in exchange for big paychecks. Stats do not equal chemistry. Joe Torre was n-o-t the problem. If anything, he was the glue that kept them from coming apart at the seams like they did this year!!!! Get freakin' rid of A-rod and Cashman, please!!! Maybe you can get a better deal for them if you package them together and market them as "Cash-Rod". Get rid of the pitching rotation, Mussina especially. And let's get back to basics and draw from the farm system. Think this sounds absurd?? Well, what they've got now certainly isn't/isn't gonna work!!! Try something other than trying to buying your way to a pennant.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bobby Abreu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
News Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
News Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
News Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
News Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
News Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
News Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1
More from around the web