Small ball helps Yankees come up big ...

Small ball helps Yankees come up big -- Major League Baseball, ...

There are 11 comments on the Newsday story from Apr 4, 2008, titled Small ball helps Yankees come up big -- Major League Baseball, .... In it, Newsday reports that:

Need proof that these are not Joe Torre 's Yankees? When's the last time you remember Torre playing the infield in in a scoreless game in the fourth inning? When's the last time you remember the Yankees laying ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Casey

Chesterfield, MO

#1 Apr 4, 2008
Good for Giradi, but before he is anointed as the new John McGraw, why didn't he use the same strategy in the bottom of the third with no score? First and second no outs and the very same Damon who bunts later in the eighth, hits away rather than moving the runners over and the result is Damon lines out to right and the next batter, Jeter, hits into a double play. Let's not get carried away with the genius of Joe Girardi like the media did with Mangini. He has to earn it first.

Since: Jun 07

Oceanside, NY

#2 Apr 4, 2008
Agreed. 2 runners on, nobody out...c'mon. Get 'em over, get at least one in.
Happy with Hughes, Toronto is a tough team. The American League overall is REALLY going to be a pain this season. Should be an interesting year.
man

New York, NY

#4 Apr 4, 2008
a 3-2 win is just as much of a W in the W/L column as a 30-2 win.
just play 1 game at a time and do what each game dictates.
Joba and Mo look like they will make it a fun season.
Chris

Greenvale, NY

#5 Apr 4, 2008
Phil Phranchise looked sharp. I'm loving the season already! I'll take 2 out of 3 for the series win. Bring on Tampa Bay!

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#6 Apr 4, 2008
I don't mind piling it on. I used to defend Torre and gave him the benefit of the doubt. (Torre guy still has won 4 WS and 10 straight AL East titles) but in short best of 5 series where you can face the other teams top starter 3 times, this is the type of ball that needs to be played. You can't tell a player swing away all year and then expect him to lay down a bunt in a playoff game.... Cashman was right on Girardi

Location hidden

#7 Apr 4, 2008
Casey wrote:
Good for Giradi, but before he is anointed as the new John McGraw, why didn't he use the same strategy in the bottom of the third with no score? First and second no outs and the very same Damon who bunts later in the eighth, hits away rather than moving the runners over and the result is Damon lines out to right and the next batter, Jeter, hits into a double play. Let's not get carried away with the genius of Joe Girardi like the media did with Mangini. He has to earn it first.
.. because you don't give up at-bats that early in a game. With men on you hit away in the 3rd inning
... there is a reason that's it's called a sacrifice.... and there is a reason that everyone does have a clue about managing a ball game
Jim

AOL

#8 Apr 4, 2008
man wrote:
a 3-2 win is just as much of a W in the W/L column as a 30-2 win.
just play 1 game at a time and do what each game dictates.
Joba and Mo look like they will make it a fun season.
I agree! Play them 1 at a time and take a win with any score!
Hank

Troy, NY

#9 Apr 4, 2008
Well put DREW... Finally someone with some sense in the game! I hate it when you have guys talking about baseball like they know something about it.
Bunting that early in the game will kill you. Instead you can afford to wait on the big hits, you know like doubles.... or beter yet maybe you've heard of them, HR's.
Casey

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Apr 4, 2008
Drew Brown Bundini wrote:
<quoted text>.. because you don't give up at-bats that early in a game. With men on you hit away in the 3rd inning
... there is a reason that's it's called a sacrifice.... and there is a reason that everyone does have a clue about managing a ball game
Even on a cold night, a series where you are not scoring any runs against a good pitching staff and you could get a run for your young stater? But I guess you are the self appointed expert.
Casey

Chesterfield, MO

#12 Apr 4, 2008
Hank wrote:
Well put DREW... Finally someone with some sense in the game! I hate it when you have guys talking about baseball like they know something about it.
Bunting that early in the game will kill you. Instead you can afford to wait on the big hits, you know like doubles.... or beter yet maybe you've heard of them, HR's.
If you were watching the game last night you might have heard Paul O'Neill asking why the runners were not moved over. But then again, I guess you know more than he does about baseball.

Location hidden

#13 Apr 15, 2008
Casey wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were watching the game last night you might have heard Paul O'Neill asking why the runners were not moved over. But then again, I guess you know more than he does about baseball.
yes, that is why he announces and Girardi is the manager

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bobby Abreu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
News Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
News Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
News Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
News Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
News Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
News Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1
More from around the web