Yankees brass comfortable with spending spree

Full story: Newsday

The Yankees have no regrets about their December spending spree, a source said Wednesday, despite criticism from other clubs.
Comments
1 - 20 of 20 Comments Last updated Jan 8, 2009
IC URHOOHAH

Bronx, NY

#1 Dec 26, 2008
This is why the Yankees ahve the highest attendance in the league IN THE FREAKING BRONX. BC the owners show us the money.
Corrupticut citizen

East Hartford, CT

#2 Dec 26, 2008
The Yankees don't need Andy "The Phoney" Pettitte, especially at 10 million or more. Hughes will be the 5th starter and when Joba breaks down, and he will, they have plenty of other young pitchers that can fill his slot.
sammo

Boston, MA

#3 Dec 26, 2008
the other 29 teams in the league can bitch and moan about the big bad yankees and how they are ruining the sport. i say shut up and spend your money. the yankees spend money to please the fans and put a winner on that field that people will spend their hard earned money to see. teams like the pirates, reds and marlins wont spend money and are happy to take handouts from the yankees in the form of the luxury tax. who the hell wants to be a fan of a team like that???
luvthegame

Rockville Centre, NY

#4 Dec 26, 2008
and yet they are still asking for the city and taxplayers to pay for their stadium.......God Bless America
BJR

Sanford, FL

#5 Dec 26, 2008
Okay we are almost there, the Yankees should sign Andy Pettite for at least 11 million, this probably would be his last year and he should go out as a Yankee, he has given us a lot of good years and key wins,especially during the playoffs and world series....

Also, you are still going to need a good DH, MAke a reasonable offer to Giambi and I am sure he would come back.....
just my opinion

Evanston, IL

#6 Dec 26, 2008
The Yankee brass can spend all the money they want...it doesn't mean anything. How did you guys do last year? The year before? The year before that? Money doesn't mean World Series Ring!
Mortimus

Glastonbury, CT

#7 Dec 26, 2008
Are the Yankees Free Agent Signings...
The Scariest Economic Indicator of all?!?!
http://dagblog.com/sports/are-yankees-free-ag...

“YANKS 27 Time World Champions”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#8 Dec 26, 2008
just my opinion wrote:
The Yankee brass can spend all the money they want...it doesn't mean anything. How did you guys do last year? The year before? The year before that? Money doesn't mean World Series Ring!
I never say it does..but if you spend the money right,on the pieces you need..like on SP..CC and AJ [if stays healthy] and a 1B like Tex..than that should increase the odds of winning it all..and that's all you should want..Titles are won on the field..never on paper...
Whatnow

United States

#9 Dec 26, 2008
just my opinion wrote:
The Yankee brass can spend all the money they want...it doesn't mean anything. How did you guys do last year? The year before? The year before that? Money doesn't mean World Series Ring!
Well, you see, theres one thing slightly differernt about the previous years, mr ' just my opinion'. Did the Yankees spend money like this over the past 3 years in the off season? Hmmm....Wow, what do you know, they didnt. Also you cant base anything off of last year when the team had lost their ace and lost about100 runs in production and STILL won 89 games. Also, I cant say this enough to all of the people who rip on the Yankees about the spending. They are still under the payroll from last year so whats the problem? Everyone was fine with it last year so whats the difference? You should be happy the Yankees are dropping their payroll.
Yanks in 2009

Watertown, CT

#10 Dec 26, 2008
luvthegame wrote:
and yet they are still asking for the city and taxplayers to pay for their stadium.......God Bless America
And yet another ignorant person who needs to comment on something they have no idea about...sigh
WHATS NEW

Staatsburg, NY

#11 Dec 26, 2008
New stadium,world series ring. The Yankees are set.
Jim

AOL

#12 Dec 27, 2008
It's the off season and the Yanks have no regrets on hiring the 3 top names in this years FA pool. Why would they have regrets a week after the signings when they haven't even met as a team yet???
david

Bayonne, NJ

#13 Dec 28, 2008
WHATS NEW wrote:
New stadium,world series ring. The Yankees are set.
Set? Yanks are still weak in the outfield. Damon and Matsui are older and you can't count on them to give more than they did last year which wasn't much. Cabrera/Gardner are below average and you Swisher and nady are just so-so. Middle relief is still questionable. Weak bench. Yanks still too old. The only ones you can count on to do their part are AROD and Tex. That's 2 out of 9 only. If Yanks really want to win it all, then they need Manny! Tex.AROD, Manny. Now you're set!
DAVID

Bronx, NY

#14 Dec 29, 2008
just my opinion wrote:
The Yankee brass can spend all the money they want...it doesn't mean anything. How did you guys do last year? The year before? The year before that? Money doesn't mean World Series Ring!
exactly,us Yankee fans know this,it is won the field with heart and chemistry,so why are all the jealous losers crying about the money spent to replace giambi,abreu,mussina,and maybe pettite,we know it is won on the field,you and the millions of other crybabies are the ones crying,why is that?
Speed

Carmel, IN

#15 Dec 29, 2008
david wrote:
<quoted text>
Set? Yanks are still weak in the outfield. Damon and Matsui are older and you can't count on them to give more than they did last year which wasn't much. Cabrera/Gardner are below average and you Swisher and nady are just so-so. Middle relief is still questionable. Weak bench. Yanks still too old. The only ones you can count on to do their part are AROD and Tex. That's 2 out of 9 only. If Yanks really want to win it all, then they need Manny! Tex.AROD, Manny. Now you're set!
Manny is old too. You don't make sense.

Once Bruney is signed, the bullpen is SOLID. Aceves, Veras, Bruney and Coke.....SOLID.

Did I forget the Sandman?!?!?
david

Bayonne, NJ

#16 Dec 31, 2008
Speed wrote:
<quoted text>
Manny is old too. You don't make sense.
Once Bruney is signed, the bullpen is SOLID. Aceves, Veras, Bruney and Coke.....SOLID.
Did I forget the Sandman?!?!?
Manny at 37 is still more awesome than anyone on the current Yanks other than AROD and Tex. You think the Yanks are set in the OF. Their outfield of Damon, Nady, Swisher, Cabrera, Matsui, Gardner, doesn't scare anyone. Manny would out hit all of them combined! Think what Manny could do for AROD batting behind him. It would be more potent than Ortiz/Manny. Bullpen is only good with Joba and Rivera, but leading up to them is not what I would call solid. I'm not bashing the Yankees, I'm just saying that all those fans who think the WS is ours in 2009 are getting way ahead of themselves! We don't know what any one other than AROD and Tex are going to produce. True, Manny is going to be 37, but if you could get him on a 3 year deal and his price comes down, you gotta get him!
watcher

Brentwood, NY

#17 Jan 7, 2009
rooting interests aside - the state is going bankrupt, yet the yankees, and mets to a lesser degree, are getting stadiums payed for by the taxpayer thru tax subsidies and tax free municipal bonds. and the yanks spend almost 1/2 billion dollars on three players? what's wrong with this picture? and if we're all out of jobs, who can afford tickets?....?
Tom

Milwaukee, WI

#18 Jan 7, 2009
watcher wrote:
rooting interests aside - the state is going bankrupt, yet the yankees, and mets to a lesser degree, are getting stadiums payed for by the taxpayer thru tax subsidies and tax free municipal bonds. and the yanks spend almost 1/2 billion dollars on three players? what's wrong with this picture? and if we're all out of jobs, who can afford tickets?....?
I'm waiting to see how David from Brooklyn responds to your post. David is probably a spoiled rich kid who has never had to work a day in his life and has no clue regarding matters of finance.
Butch

Scottsdale, AZ

#19 Jan 7, 2009
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm waiting to see how David from Brooklyn responds to your post. David is probably a spoiled rich kid who has never had to work a day in his life and has no clue regarding matters of finance.
How bout those Yankees? Got CC from the Brewers,told you moron, also AJ and Tex,while you and all of Milwaukee were weeping about it hahaha.Hoffman ain't going there either,more reason for you to cry,you wuss.
DAVID

Bronx, NY

#20 Jan 8, 2009
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm waiting to see how David from Brooklyn responds to your post. David is probably a spoiled rich kid who has never had to work a day in his life and has no clue regarding matters of finance.
wrong idiot,I work hard and make an average salary and can only afford to go to a couple of games,but that is the way it is today in the game and the Yankees will still have 50,000 at every game so stop only crying about the Yankees,they spent 60m replacing three players out of the 88m coming off the books,so stop crying about the Yankees as they are doing it the right way and putting the money they generate back into the team!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Bobby Abreu Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
5 Bold Predictions for New York Yankees' Trade ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 chris 1
Umpire forgets to count to 4, again (Jul '11) Jul '11 Pound_Puppy 6
Inbox: Who will emerge at third for Angels? (Jan '11) Jan '11 Jake 1
Angels don't get picked on (Jun '10) Jun '10 jonny 1
Tribe Falls to Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 cherszp 1
Pineiro pitches slumping Angels past Yankees 5-3 (Apr '10) Apr '10 cachi 1
Matsui gets first game-winning hit for Angels (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mike 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Bobby Abreu People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••