Francona having trouble handling Red ...

Francona having trouble handling Red Sox bullpen - Sentinel & E...

There are 9 comments on the Sentinel & Enterprise story from Aug 11, 2009, titled Francona having trouble handling Red Sox bullpen - Sentinel & E.... In it, Sentinel & Enterprise reports that:

Terry Francona is probably the best handler of a bullpen the Red Sox have had in the modern era, i.e., when relievers began taking on more important roles in baseball.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Sentinel & Enterprise.

Sherry

Suwanee, GA

#1 Aug 11, 2009
Francona has done a great job of Managing the Red Sox BUT Ortiz is not playing well and Francona is patting him on the shoulder for a good job. Ortiz is not a team player, if he hits and it is not a home run he just stands at home plate and sulks.
RICARDO BIRD

Puerto Rico

#2 Aug 11, 2009
Well;one can not blame Francona for being overcautious;he was handed damaged goods in Smoltz;Penny(which continued to postpone the future of Bucholz and Masterson) & eventually Dice-K(it could be foreseen that pitching full blast,when not ready would cause Dice-K problems).Also,while the Yankees put their $$$$ to use the Red Sox stayed put;they also stayed put with Lee & Halladay.let's face it;if you do not spend ,you will not compete.P.D.On the other hand;why do you use Tazawa in such a situation ,while you overprotected Masterson & Bucholz?
Tazawa was

Clinton, MA

#3 Aug 11, 2009
Tazawa was the only remaining pitcher (not including starters) available when they sent him into the 15-inning game. They had already used everyone else in the bullpen.
jlawjlaw

Santa Barbara, CA

#4 Aug 11, 2009
Francona should be fired for his handling of the ballclub and especially of the STARTING PITCHERS all season - for allowing them to give up the big inning time and time again!

He also is considered a players manager because he coddles the players too much and doesn't confront them when they need to be confronted.

Along the same lines, he has shown himself to be a lousy motivator of the players. It may be partly due to his health, but at times he needs to get angry and go ballistic like Girardi did a little over a month ago which coincidentally happened to be the turning point of the Yankee season.
tom c

Woburn, MA

#6 Aug 11, 2009
Francona sucks
Cindy Lauper

AOL

#7 Aug 11, 2009
i like him..i think he is cute...leave him alone...lol
oncen

Philippines

#8 Aug 12, 2009
is the game over. we'll know it in october
joe

Saint Louis, MO

#9 Aug 13, 2009
this chaz scoggins guy is a joke for writing this
essaitchitee

AOL

#10 Aug 16, 2009
It's time to wake up and smell the goatmeal!!

http://www.wackypackages.org/stickers/4th_200...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Billy Traber Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sox fans won't get any relief until Francona st... (Aug '09) Aug '09 second base 1
News Yankees break loose to bounce Red Sox (Aug '09) Aug '09 Jack LaLanne 13
News Dice-K hopes to rejoin Red Sox this season - Se... (Aug '09) Aug '09 sick of punks 2
News Blue Jays pound Yanks, 14-3 (Aug '08) Aug '08 Try Again 16
News Yankees' Kennedy sent back to Scranton (Aug '08) Aug '08 Paul Yanks 20
News Yankees recall Traber, send Kennedy to Triple-A (Aug '08) Aug '08 Todd 1
News Yankees home for a cup of coffee (Apr '08) Apr '08 Sport 1
More from around the web