FAA bans Chantix drug

Full story: Baltimore Sun 30
The Federal Aviation Administration banned pilots and air traffic controllers yesterday from using a popular anti-smoking drug after a study found that it had apparently contributed to auto accidents and other ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
linda

Brooklyn, NY

#1 May 22, 2008
i took chantix about 4 months ago for 1 month. it was making me sick,no sleep,moody,bad dreams when i did sleep, i am currently smoke free,but have not felt myself since i took the drug. i actually feel worse than i ever did.

“Fredneck County Md”

Since: Feb 08

Small Town

#2 May 22, 2008
linda wrote:
i took chantix about 4 months ago for 1 month. it was making me sick,no sleep,moody,bad dreams when i did sleep, i am currently smoke free,but have not felt myself since i took the drug. i actually feel worse than i ever did.
Get yourself a lawyer.
HumanSpirit

Live Oak, FL

#3 May 22, 2008
The same should apply to all psychotropic (mind) drugs. They are a danger to the society. Plenty of information on the websites about violence, murder (mass murder) and suicide to warrant FDA action.
Not in the least confused

Washington, DC

#4 May 22, 2008
I tried the drug and it seemed to be working, however when the "Chantix Dreams: began, then the skin reaction (a very nasty skin reaction) began, I gave it up. Chantix is some really nasty stuff.
john

Toronto, Canada

#5 May 22, 2008
Happy Contented Soul wrote:
<quoted text>Get yourself a lawyer.
people like you are hilarious! get yourself a lawyer. Look champix has been prescribed to over 5 million people world wide. So far there has been 62 suicide reports, and something around 389 depression reports. Ok those numbers are so much BIGGER than the number of deaths from cancer every year which is around 556,902 people. You guys are dumb. Go get yourself a lawler, blow your money and loose the case so people like us that have quit successfully with Champix can point and laugh at you.
john

Toronto, Canada

#6 May 22, 2008
Not in the least confused wrote:
I tried the drug and it seemed to be working, however when the "Chantix Dreams: began, then the skin reaction (a very nasty skin reaction) began, I gave it up. Chantix is some really nasty stuff.
By the way the rash goes away, and so do the dreams. I feel like people dont have the guts to handle these symptoms which is sad cause it makes you realise how weak your world is. I feel sorry for you. I've had some crazy dreams on champix so crazy I woke up in sweats and shivers but that could have been from me drinking heavy the night before and having the alcohol still in my system when I took the pill. Anyways point is get over yourself. I pray for you, cause cancer is a brutal way to die.

“12oz libertarian”

Since: Dec 07

chi-town 'Inner City'

#7 May 22, 2008
Surprise, surprise....the cure is worse than the 'condition'.
Ever heard of Vioxx.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vioxx
http://anthonyvieira.typepad.com/vioxx_law_an...
After three years of dragging its feet and insisting it would try “one case at a time”, the giant pharmaceutical manufacturer, Merck, has done an about face and agreed to a global settlement of $4.85 billion to resolve the bulk of personal injury and wrongful death cases (approximately 27,000) filed against it for its product, Vioxx

Repeat, 27,000 people were told by the Medical Industrial Complex this pill will help you...and then.

Washington, DC

#8 May 22, 2008
john wrote:
<quoted text>
By the way the rash goes away, and so do the dreams. I feel like people dont have the guts to handle these symptoms which is sad cause it makes you realise how weak your world is. I feel sorry for you. I've had some crazy dreams on champix so crazy I woke up in sweats and shivers but that could have been from me drinking heavy the night before and having the alcohol still in my system when I took the pill. Anyways point is get over yourself. I pray for you, cause cancer is a brutal way to die.
Yeah right, I'm going to be bothered by criticism from an admitted drunk.

Kiss my azz, alky!
irene

Toronto, Canada

#9 May 22, 2008
<quoted text>
Yeah right, I'm going to be bothered by criticism from an admitted drunk.
Kiss my azz, alky!
lol an admitted drunk you're an idiot it was my b-day so i really dont care what you say. You're just to weak to handle the symptoms so i guess champix is not for you.

Washington, DC

#10 May 22, 2008
irene wrote:
<quoted text>
lol an admitted drunk you're an idiot it was my b-day so i really dont care what you say. You're just to weak to handle the symptoms so i guess champix is not for you.
"irene;" eh? Just what are you, hoser, one of those AC/DC's?

Figures you had to find something else to suck on.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#11 May 22, 2008
john wrote:
<quoted text>
people like you are hilarious! get yourself a lawyer. Look champix has been prescribed to over 5 million people world wide. So far there has been 62 suicide reports, and something around 389 depression reports. Ok those numbers are so much BIGGER than the number of deaths from cancer every year which is around 556,902 people. You guys are dumb. Go get yourself a lawler, blow your money and loose the case so people like us that have quit successfully with Champix can point and laugh at you.
Wow..maybe you should find a way to displace that aggression.

I have heard nothing good about Chantix from the users I personally know. Couple that with the FAA and others waking up only confirms the danger of this drug in what mental state people are left in after taking it.

I can add your post to this confirming information.
irene

Toronto, Canada

#12 May 22, 2008
<quoted text>
"irene;" eh? Just what are you, hoser, one of those AC/DC's?
Figures you had to find something else to suck on.
wtf is with the eh? Just cause it says I'm from Toronto doesnt mean im Canadian eh? dumbass... and who the hell is AC/DC's? All I said is that Champix works for people that can handle the symptoms and obviously you're not one of those people. So good luck to you when your doctor tells you - you have cancer, although I pray that you dont. You must be a young kid who just started to smoke a few years or something. People like us have been smoking all their lifes and their sick of it and CHAMPIX WORKS!
irene

Toronto, Canada

#13 May 22, 2008
Musician wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow..maybe you should find a way to displace that aggression.
I have heard nothing good about Chantix from the users I personally know. Couple that with the FAA and others waking up only confirms the danger of this drug in what mental state people are left in after taking it.
I can add your post to this confirming information.
just curious you have a couple of people and your friends telling you its not good. No drug is good for you thats kind of obvious. I'd rather take a chance with champix then suffer with cancer for god knows how long. And by the way, I am on day 17 of Champix and yes you get moody, but thats not just from champix my dads friend quit cold turkey he was moody for many weeks, even had the chills sometimes. People think that champix is a miracle drug or something but it's not. And some doctors tell their patients to take for upto 12 weeks... thats insane, mine told me 4 weeks and no more. And as John mensioned 5 mil were prescribed and ok out of 5 mil you have maybe 10000 complaining that is a huge difference. Do you not get that?
Starla

La Porte, IN

#14 May 23, 2008
This was my 2nd go with chantix, I did it the first time was on day 26, was rearended at 55 mph. I started again. My sister mentioned the suiside word being linked, Boom!! That was all I thought about, It was Bad!! Did a little research and if you are depressed or take anti-depression pills, Don't take the Chantix!!. I am on day 19 today, I even forget to take the pills have the time now. It is a very big Mind Game!! I have no thoughts about suiside this go around. One thing is you need to follow the directions. If you believe you are gonna have the Dreams you will. I don't have the dreams anymore, I kinda liked them. 1 was about a neon green & yellow Iguana in my 2nd story bedroom looking out the window. It was funny, My dreams have been weird, not scary at all. But still it is the Mind you're trying to manipulate. I love the Chantix for myself. You have to believe in yourself and your Dr. and your medication. female, age 41, smoking 26 years 2 pack per day. I was a very dedicated smoker.
butch

United States

#15 May 23, 2008
Chantex WORKS!!!!!!!!!!
richard

Gustine, TX

#16 May 23, 2008
I SMOKED FOR 35 Years a pack a day. tryed to stop about 6 times. i used chantix . it has been 10 months i stopped. i did have shifts in moods. and very vivid nighttime dreams. some dreams were bad. stopped
thosewhowait

Baltimore, MD

#17 May 23, 2008
Since taking Chantix, I now have a blood spec in my left eye that's impairing my vision. Dreams were really impairing my sleep as I was constantly waking up because of that. I quit that nonsense. Doctors really don't know that much about this drug. Take your own chances. Not for me.
richard blanket tx

Gustine, TX

#18 May 23, 2008
i smoked for 35 years. i tryed to stop about 6 times. tuck chantix its been 10 months. i am smoke free. but i stell have shift in moods . there are some things i can"t eat how it taste. had very vivid night dreams bad ones. stell have bad taste . lot of things make me sick.
manfromnan

Attleboro Falls, MA

#19 May 23, 2008
I tried Chantix to quit smoking in Oct 2007... What a terrible terrible experience. I suffer from depression to start, but have had it in check for years and years... until Chantix came into my life. I didn't make the connection, just thought I was going into a little "funk".... Thankfully my husband realized what was going on and asked me to please stop the Chantix. Within days we could both see a huge improvement. Since then I have talked to several people with or without depression in their life and they all seem to say it's great to slow down and/or quit smoking but the mood effects are there with all. Just an individual risk vs. benefit with this one..... Good luck to the quitters!!

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#20 May 23, 2008
irene wrote:
<quoted text>
just curious you have a couple of people and your friends telling you its not good. No drug is good for you thats kind of obvious. I'd rather take a chance with champix then suffer with cancer for god knows how long. And by the way, I am on day 17 of Champix and yes you get moody, but thats not just from champix my dads friend quit cold turkey he was moody for many weeks, even had the chills sometimes. People think that champix is a miracle drug or something but it's not. And some doctors tell their patients to take for upto 12 weeks... thats insane, mine told me 4 weeks and no more. And as John mensioned 5 mil were prescribed and ok out of 5 mil you have maybe 10000 complaining that is a huge difference. Do you not get that?
Sounds like a placebo on the smoking part of it.
Also sounds like it signs you up for some medical problems after its use.
The ones who have the mental anxiety get put on antidepressants.

So for pharma, its a win win.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min RC Hotstuff 1,153,032
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 3 hr Country Girl 306,951
Stop Maryland's season of cruelty: fall bow hun... (Sep '07) 3 hr Raptor in Michigan 120,226
gay in Towson Maryland 6 hr Kandin 8
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr Jim Jones 19,549
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) Tue jamielee 103
Officer-involved shooting in West Baltimore Tue Tragic 2
Baltimore Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Baltimore People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Baltimore News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Baltimore

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 9:52 am PST

NFL 9:52AM
Gruden: Lately we haven't seen the DeSean we need
NBC Sports11:21 AM
Who's in worse shape, Redskins or Bears?
NBC Sports11:30 AM
Ravens sign Chris Greenwood
Yahoo! Sports12:48 PM
Redskins have been this bad since the 1960s
Bleacher Report 1:04 PM
Ravens Can't Let Banged Up Secondary Derail Playoff Hopes