Study: 2.4 million kids have ADHD -

Study: 2.4 million kids have ADHD -

There are 111 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 4, 2007, titled Study: 2.4 million kids have ADHD -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Nearly 9 percent of U.S. children ages 8 to 15 have attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, but most are not taking medication for it, a study published Monday concludes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

C Wright Mills

Tenafly, NJ

#25 Sep 4, 2007
In a society dominated by conspicuous consumption, drugs take their place alongside all of the other useless crap that is peddled continuously to a benighted population.
Darwin

Richmond Hill, NY

#26 Sep 4, 2007
Mac wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah! That's what we need to keep kids in line! Some good old abuse and barbarism!
Nothing is more barbaric than medicating children.
Mom 2 4 Kiddies

United States

#27 Sep 4, 2007
Worth wrote:
Has it ever occurred to our government that 2.4 million children having a 'disorder' may not be a disorder at all, but simply highlights major problems in the way our education system is structured? Saying someone has a deficit of attention implies that someone could have a surplus of it as well and that just doesn't seem to make sense to me. We are all built different, but our education system is structured in a way to only reward a narrow range of intelligences. Most people I know who have ADD or ADHD tend to be creative thinkers and problem solvers and not great at memorizing and recalling. This isn't a weakness, they're just wired differently and we need an flexible education system that can identify the needs of our children early enough to get them on the right track to success and not necessarily medicating them into a cookie cutter student.
I agree with what you said. My 6yo son was diagnosed with ADHD and ODD when he was 5yo. He is bright and did not have too much difficulty in school academically.(I know, kindergarten ;-)). Homework was a real struggle as he wouldn't sit for more that 5 minutes...so we broke it up. He is extremely hyperactive and impulsive. He is very antagonistic and aggressive. We discipline him with all the methods described above to no avail. My main concern is his social skills. He has had great difficulty making friends. We started him on medication and behavior therapy and he seems to be doing much better. Less impulsive and actually quite reasonable most of the time. It is a REAL disorder with a HUGE degree range of symptoms. No matter what folks call it or whether you agree with it or not....The behavior therapy and the medication is a tremendous help for many families trying to cope with these children.
Cathy

Holtsville, NY

#29 Sep 4, 2007
Gee, a small fortune paid to doctors and drugging your child into a vegetable or ...a properly done spanking. I just can't decide
Mac

United States

#30 Sep 4, 2007
Darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
Not so sure that's true. Think about what you just said.

I'm not in favor of medicating children with Ritalin to turn them into non-thinking, compliant drones, either, by the way
tex

Killeen, TX

#31 Sep 4, 2007
Darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats right...and homeschool is the cure.
Kevin

AOL

#32 Sep 4, 2007
ODD is a "disorder" that may be fairly new to some people. It is Oppositional Defiance Disorder. As with ADHD, research is divided on the cause. I have my own theories, having worked with some kids who have it.
Mac

United States

#35 Sep 4, 2007
Kevin wrote:
ODD is a "disorder" that may be fairly new to some people. It is Oppositional Defiance Disorder. As with ADHD, research is divided on the cause. I have my own theories, having worked with some kids who have it.
There's a new disorder called SPDD, "Stupid Pretend Disorders Disorder." It's characterized by a person's obsession with explaining every behavioral aberration in terms of "disorders." As is usually the case, research doesn't really support its legitimacy.

But I believe it is so.
man

New York, NY

#36 Sep 4, 2007
Mac wrote:
Let me see, now...Thirty years ago it was called "hyperactivity". Then, in the 1980s, it was changed to "Attention Deficit Disorder". Now, it's "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder." I love politically correct Newspeak. The names for phony disorders get longer and longer in an attempt to validate the disorder. What's next? "Restless tingling yucky-feeling leg disorder"?
Maybe we should go back to the very old name for this supposed "disorder". Then, the headline could read,"Study: 2.4 million children are destructive, annoying, loud, frustrated little bastards."
no, 30 years ago it was called. "your kids a brat and needs some discipline and a smack from mommy and daddy". now it's 2.4 million kids have ADHD. BS! 2.4 million kids needs a damn smack. yeah i think ritelen def was invented b4 ADHD. you'd think with all the pscho trips beinghad from people on anti depressants and painkillers, someone would actaully put 2+2 tgthr and put an end to all these drugs... oh i'm depressed. ok heres some prozac. my kids hyper, of heres some ritalin.
gimme a break...no, lets spend all our time making sure adults dont abuse THEMSELVES with steroids....
mr stretch

United States

#37 Sep 4, 2007
Mac wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah! That's what we need to keep kids in line! Some good old abuse and barbarism!
NO - it's called good old-fashioned DISCIPLINE and PATIENCE! Too many kids are spolied so rotten, they are diagnosed as ADD, when in actuality, they're are just like their parents, Self-centered, lazy, and impatient!
Mac

United States

#38 Sep 4, 2007
mr stretch wrote:
<quoted text> NO - it's called good old-fashioned DISCIPLINE and PATIENCE! Too many kids are spolied so rotten, they are diagnosed as ADD, when in actuality, they're are just like their parents, Self-centered, lazy, and impatient!
Okay, fine. But that's not what the other guy, whom I responded to, was advocating. He was in favor of corporal punishment, and smacks on the knuckles with rulers. In my opinion, this sort of thought is primitive and medieval. I never said there should be no discipline or patience.
Resonance

Atlanta, GA

#39 Sep 4, 2007
Moby, you rock!!
Moby wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, those damn drug companies....saving lives again....how dare they?
jim

Warren, NJ

#40 Sep 4, 2007
Spare the rod and spoil the child. that saying is still true today. Children should be beaten regularly weather they need it or not.
Resonance

Atlanta, GA

#41 Sep 4, 2007
I would rather have my child prescribed medication by a licensed doctor, rather than they buy God knows what, from the local dealer, in an attempt to deal with their disability.
RTF wrote:
"Remember kids, say no to drugs, but be sure to take your Adderall and Dexedrine!"
Resonance

Atlanta, GA

#42 Sep 4, 2007
JC, my dad felt the same way you do. When the slap on the butt didn't work, he decided to use an electrical cord! I was recently diagnosed as an adult. Now that I am taking my prescription, you can't imagine the things I know I would have not had done, had I had a diagnosis and taken medication.
JC - NYC wrote:
Sounds like a few of Americas kids need a slap on the but ! Years ago we also had this when it was undefined. Parents these days are very quick to medicate children that are hyper or have difficulty paying attention. Its called being a "CHILD". Let your kids outside to run and play an hour a day. If they are hyper get them involved in a sport. Forget the medication, pleanty of time for that when they are adults.
Resonance

Atlanta, GA

#43 Sep 4, 2007
I feel it's more barbaric for a parent to allow their child to suffer, knowing that there are medications that can help the child. The medication is only 1/4 of what it will take to help your child. They must also have therapy and understanding from the family.
Believe me, ADHD is a crippling, unless treated by professionals.
Darwin wrote:
<quoted text>
Resonance

Atlanta, GA

#44 Sep 4, 2007
I pray that God not allow you to come in contact with children. It's amazing how people justify abuse with Biblical text. I suggest you stop taking scripture out of context, and learn to apply the entire thing.
jim wrote:
Spare the rod and spoil the child. that saying is still true today. Children should be beaten regularly weather they need it or not.
FAITHFULLSHARON

Bronx, NY

#45 Sep 4, 2007
I Love Broccoli wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you try being a good parent instead? Maybe that would have saved you a lot of time and energy.q
what??
tex

Killeen, TX

#46 Sep 4, 2007
Resonance wrote:
I pray that God not allow you to come in contact with children. It's amazing how people justify abuse with Biblical text. I suggest you stop taking scripture out of context, and learn to apply the entire thing.
<quoted text>
Tell us what exactly is taken out of text? Do you have a bible in your house? How do you feel about animal abuse, I wonder...? please
Unbelievable

Pompano Beach, FL

#47 Sep 4, 2007
There has not been enough research on these ADHD drugs. What happens when all these drugs have been filtered through your childs liver everyday for the last 20 years? NO ONE KNOWS. These drugs haven't been used and studied long enough. My son was on them for 3 months when I decided I wasn't going to make the teacher's day easier at my son's expense. And guess what - he outgrew it anyway. You just need patience and a good teacher to keep the children focused.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 4 min Earl 1,460,058
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 12 min silly rabbit 312,851
News Scientists say they have proved climate change ... (Dec '08) Thu IB DaMann 7,947
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Wed Proud American 20,707
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! Wed Baltimore drop off 1
News Businesses hurt amid fear of immigration crackdown (Jan '16) Dec 4 Well Well 19
WHITE STUFF comes out when I RUB MY WEENIE, WHY??? Dec 4 Philbert 4

Baltimore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages