Study: 2.4 million kids have ADHD -

Full story: Newsday

Nearly 9 percent of U.S. children ages 8 to 15 have attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD, but most are not taking medication for it, a study published Monday concludes.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of111
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Whats Up

Wyandanch, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

What a load of crap! Pharmaceuticals funded the creation of DSM guidelines to push their drugs.
Moby

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

Whats Up wrote:
What a load of crap! Pharmaceuticals funded the creation of DSM guidelines to push their drugs.
Yeah, those damn drug companies....saving lives again....how dare they?

RTF

“Cactus?”

Since: Dec 06

Long Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

"Remember kids, say no to drugs, but be sure to take your Adderall and Dexedrine!"
Lazy Parents

Newtown, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

What came first Rittelin or ADHD?
Jeremy

Burlington, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

This is yet another way to have our kids take drugs. Is that the solution for everything that happens to us and the ones we love? take drugs for this, take drugs for that. Do we really know what sort of chemicals we may not knowingly be puting in our bodies? And are these chemicals just making us more sick so we take more drugs? so my recomendation is do not give your kids these medications to help with ADHD because this is just another way for the multi-billion dollar drug industry to get our coin. Lets look at what makes our kids act in these ways. Has anyone ever thought maybe its what they are eating? or watching on tv? or what they are learning? lets do a study on that and then see what the results are.
Kevin

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

ADHD is over-diagnosed...granted, there are people who have an extreme level of adhd, but most of it, like the 17 year-old mentioned in the article do not need these "life-saving drugs" (How many people die each year from ADHD, Moby??)

Young kids need firm boundaries, which are lacking today. Overindulgence leads to overstimulation--the kids simply have too much going on around them. And for all the bashers, I have taught for 10 years, I know what ADHD is like...to some degree we all have it.
MYOPINION

Lindenhurst, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Oh stop it already! Enough! This term is WAY OVER USED! When I was a kid, there was ONE child I knew of that GENUINELY had this. This child took medication. It's an OVERUSED POPULAR label these days! STOP IT!
Mac

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Let me see, now...Thirty years ago it was called "hyperactivity". Then, in the 1980s, it was changed to "Attention Deficit Disorder". Now, it's "Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder." I love politically correct Newspeak. The names for phony disorders get longer and longer in an attempt to validate the disorder. What's next? "Restless tingling yucky-feeling leg disorder"?

Maybe we should go back to the very old name for this supposed "disorder". Then, the headline could read,"Study: 2.4 million children are destructive, annoying, loud, frustrated little bastards."
Beavis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

ADHD is a bunch of bleep.
JC - NYC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Sounds like a few of Americas kids need a slap on the but ! Years ago we also had this when it was undefined. Parents these days are very quick to medicate children that are hyper or have difficulty paying attention. Its called being a "CHILD". Let your kids outside to run and play an hour a day. If they are hyper get them involved in a sport. Forget the medication, pleanty of time for that when they are adults.
Worth

Hyattsville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

Has it ever occurred to our government that 2.4 million children having a 'disorder' may not be a disorder at all, but simply highlights major problems in the way our education system is structured? Saying someone has a deficit of attention implies that someone could have a surplus of it as well and that just doesn't seem to make sense to me. We are all built different, but our education system is structured in a way to only reward a narrow range of intelligences. Most people I know who have ADD or ADHD tend to be creative thinkers and problem solvers and not great at memorizing and recalling. This isn't a weakness, they're just wired differently and we need an flexible education system that can identify the needs of our children early enough to get them on the right track to success and not necessarily medicating them into a cookie cutter student.
Oh Lord

Massapequa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

There's no such thing as ADHD! It's a made up disease by the pharmaceutical companies. Look, all kids are hyper and they got more energy than adults. That's just the nature of the young! Since spanking has been outright looked down upon, we as a society now believe that it's better to chemically abuse our children rather than physically abuse them. Honestly, a little spanking goes a long way and you don't have to hit the kid that hard to get your point across. It's about lazy parents not willing to spend the time and energy to nurture their energies in the right directions. And all children need discipline. They don't need to be doped up on expensive drugs that is doing harm to your children and padding the pockets of big wigs in these legalized drug dealers' pockets.
Marsy

Yorktown Heights, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

2.4 million kids have ADHD? You've got to be kidding me! 2.4 million kids have a lack of discipline, too many video games, too much TV, poor public schooling, and parents who would rather not be bothered when their children misbehave. ADHD is a bunch of GARBAGE. Think, think, think. Where was ADHD 50, 30, 20 years ago? It wasn't there people. I agree with JC_NYC - America's kids all need a good, old-fashioned swat on the western hemisphere located just beneath the small of the back. Get with it America! YOU ARE LOSING YOUR KIDS because you rather medicate them than face their disobedience, punish what they've done wrong, and raise them right. America doesn't need zombies. It needs kids who will be able to think and make rational decisions for the future of our once great country.
mr stretch

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

What a crock of crap! 2+ million kids don't have ADD - they have rich parents who can afford any med the kids needs - as long as the parent doesn't exercise what the kid REALLY needs - DISCIPLINE!
leee

Elmont, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

Study: this research is BS
YES

New Hyde Park, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Kevin wrote:
ADHD is over-diagnosed...granted, there are people who have an extreme level of adhd, but most of it, like the 17 year-old mentioned in the article do not need these "life-saving drugs" (How many people die each year from ADHD, Moby??)
Young kids need firm boundaries, which are lacking today. Overindulgence leads to overstimulation--the kids simply have too much going on around them. And for all the bashers, I have taught for 10 years, I know what ADHD is like...to some degree we all have it.
I agree with you 100%.
Before any one gets mad I do agree that there are children who need help.
I'm also going to add that their diet is atrocious. My friends child got diagnosed as ADHD and it's such a cop out. I love my friend but she is a lazy mom who doesn't discipline her child. He eats pizza, french fries and chicken fingers. He is 10. Fresh fruit only comes into his diet via shakes made with frozen blueberries and peanut butter. You can forget about vegetables. All because he doesn't like them. I didn't like them as a kid but I had no choice. I ate them or I didn't get to leave the table and/or I went without my meal. McDonalds is a treat, not a way of life. Get your kid outside and make them burn off their energy. That's what my generation did.
Jonesy

Westminster, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Judged:

Well, of course the diagnosis has risen!
The Pharmaceutical Industry now has (expensive) drugs
to treat this malady, and rewards doctors to look for it.
jim

Warren, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

what a pile of BS, this is all because of Dr. Spock and his junk ideas. Want to get a kids attention in school, smack his or her knuckles with the ruler. It's call the insentive plan. Once they stopped corporal punishment is when all this junk started appearing.
Mac

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

jim wrote:
what a pile of BS, this is all because of Dr. Spock and his junk ideas. Want to get a kids attention in school, smack his or her knuckles with the ruler. It's call the insentive plan. Once they stopped corporal punishment is when all this junk started appearing.
Yeah! That's what we need to keep kids in line! Some good old abuse and barbarism!

“Where to buddy?”

Since: Jun 07

Middle Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2007

Lazy Parents wrote:
What came first Rittelin or ADHD?
Ritalin came first as my younger brother had ADHD before they had the label for it and he was on Ritalin. That was the worse drug for anyone to take.

Back then, 70's, there was no regular monitoring for toxicity level of the Ritalin in his blood stream. He was worse on that then before he started on it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of111
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

10 Users are viewing the Baltimore Forum right now

Search the Baltimore Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 3 min Teaman 1,077,613
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 23 min bee 6335 18,566
Baltimore Stands with Israel 1 hr OnlyPatchWork 15
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 2 hr not a playa1965 305,060
SnuffAGlobalist 13 hr SnuffAGlobalist 2
snapchat usernames! (Nov '13) 15 hr Anyone welcomed 84
Bealefeld: Downtown beating not a hate crime (Apr '12) Sun Judy Strothers 7
•••
•••
•••
•••

Baltimore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000