insider's guide to patterson park

insider's guide to patterson park

There are 27 comments on the Baltimore Sun story from Mar 9, 2008, titled insider's guide to patterson park. In it, Baltimore Sun reports that:

If it weren't for a generous gift by Baltimorean William Patterson in 1827, the Patterson Park neighborhood might look a little different in the 21st century.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Baltimore Sun.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dunn

Woodstock, MD

#1 Mar 10, 2008
I appreciate this article... Patterson Park as actually much more affordable.

I also did not <u>Three</U> a great eatery and bar, the mention of a Montisorri school being built, or the new coffee shop, community gardens, Morning Addition for bunch, Patterson Perk, Concerts in the Park, Ethinic Festivals, Lantern Parade, Fluid Motion, Library Square, The cycle races, kinetic sculpture race, the Marathon, the running events, Johns Hopkins, Active Dog, mothers, community groups, the trendy rehabs and greeen homes etc... much more!

Good job for missing out on the actual community.
Dunn

Woodstock, MD

#2 Mar 10, 2008
My last post was poorly articulated. I was pissed at the lack of understand by this reporter. What's up with that? You forgot to mention half of the things that make living in the area far superior to most places in the country. Let's not forget about all of the sports that are played, best sledding hill, feed ducks, fish etc.. You can go to Patterson Park everyday and enjoy.. and there is much more.
Dunn

Woodstock, MD

#3 Mar 10, 2008
My last post sucked as well. There is no mention that it is the largest community park, actually used, it played a military role, that it is home to various non-profits and creates jobs... Patterson Park is a huge asset.

This is another article from the Sun that I feel dumber for reading.
michael

Chicago, IL

#4 Mar 12, 2008
dunn,

this article seems like it is focusing primarily on the patterson park neighborhood that sits at the northeast corner of the park. Im sure that the article would have covered the aspects of the "park" that you mentioned if it was really trying to focus on that.

also, many of the things that you mentioned sit outside of the patterson park neighborhood boundary. look at a neighborhood boundary map, moron, and take more time trying to express your opinion.
i can barely decipher the gibberish that took you three separate posts to express.
Raven

Westminster, MD

#5 Mar 26, 2008
Dunn wrote:
My last post was poorly articulated. I was pissed at the lack of understand by this reporter. What's up with that? You forgot to mention half of the things that make living in the area far superior to most places in the country. Let's not forget about all of the sports that are played, best sledding hill, feed ducks, fish etc.. You can go to Patterson Park everyday and enjoy.. and there is much more.
Much more ... like being beaten, stabbed or shot. When the sun sets around Patterson Park the werewolves and vampires lurk in every nook and cranny. A wonderful place ...
BPW

Bethpage, NY

#6 Apr 1, 2008
Raven, thanks for being part of the problem.
Raven

Westminster, MD

#7 Apr 1, 2008
BOW wrote:
Raven, thanks for being part of the problem.
Sometimes the truth hurts. I spent many years in and around the park. If you doubt what I said I suggest that you go two blocks north of the park, park your car and walk around. You will not make it through the night. Remember what just happened to the young man who was just beaten senseless and left to die?

I am not part of the problem ... I just speak the truth. The problem is a broken criminal justice system that will not take care of these vermin. How about parents who don't care about their kids? What about weak, liberal judges? No friend,
I am not the problem. I remember the way Baltimore was ... and I know the way it stands now ... a broken city with small pockets of success. Patterson Park is not one of them.
L Patterson

Holland, MI

#8 May 11, 2008
My husband is a descendant of William Patterson, I can honestly say we have never visited the park, but this weekend will be the first time, for my husband is turning 45 & I have made this "bucket list" of things we haven't done here in our own hometown that are of family importance.
There is much truth to the fact that the nasty creeps come out at night and want to hurt people and not leave them alone so that they may be able to take that once happy strole, like years before. Don't we all wish we could feel free and safe enough to do so in places of beauty such as Patterson Park ? Patterson Park has alot to offer, but the area has something left to be desired. I give kudos for all those who try to keep their neighborhoods safe from crime, but you know...even the best of parents who try their damndest to keep their teenagers in the house at the appropriate times for the night aren't going to listen when they are lured by their nasty low life criminal ghetto ass peers to do bad things, that's what's fun to them, that's what takes all the glory away from a wonderful gift given to our city for all the people to enjoy, to gather together, to be happy, to love, to make new friends, but no, it takes just those few to destroy the "what can be in the future" !
Aimee

Baltimore, MD

#9 Jun 29, 2008
Raven and Michael,

You obviously haven't been around the Park lately. I'm a single, thirty-something, white female who lives two blocks north of the Park and have not had any problems in the 2 years that I've lived here.

And many of the community attributes that Dunn speaks of are in the Patterson Park neighborhood if you would like to re-check your map.

Perhaps you both should limit your comments to Finksburg and Chicago, respectively.
ann

Rosedale, MD

#10 Jun 29, 2008
Aimee, congratulations on two years of city living. Patterson Park and its' environs have so much to offer. Patterson Park is truly beautiful all year. However, always have a healthy respect for the fact that you are not in a resort area. Up until three years ago I was in that area 5 to 6 days of the week due to family obligations and I miss it. I still frequent the city regularly, Eastern Ave, Lexington Mkt, the areas around the hospitals. Always enjoy; but with a wary eye, this is the real world.
EkE

United States

#11 Jul 14, 2008
I don't believe anyone who doesn't live in Patterson Park (or the city of Baltimore for that matter) has the right to assume anything. The media exagerates, and lets not forget random acts of violence are few and far between and can happen anywhere in the world at anytime. Car break ins are expected, but the people getting shot and stabbed and whatnot are people invloved in things that they should not be. Think about this...more random acts of violence happen to white people (because thats all you people are worried about)in Towson or college park, than Baltimore City! They are shooting people in freaking harford county now! If you don't like the city, then fine. But if you don't live here...mind your own business because it has nothing to do with you. And yes, everyone should be mindful of their surroundings, EVERYWHERE. I worked at Towson Mall for years and more people were robbed and assaulted in the parking garages than you would ever hear about. Why is that? Media doesn't want you to know how unsafe TOWSON is. BTW, I have felt so much more safe walking to and from my car in this city than I ever did at Towson Mall.
Raven

Baltimore, MD

#12 Jul 15, 2008
Aimee wrote:
Raven and Michael,
You obviously haven't been around the Park lately. I'm a single, thirty-something, white female who lives two blocks north of the Park and have not had any problems in the 2 years that I've lived here.
And many of the community attributes that Dunn speaks of are in the Patterson Park neighborhood if you would like to re-check your map.
Perhaps you both should limit your comments to Finksburg and Chicago, respectively.
Firstly, do I have the right to comment about Patterson Park after spending over 23 years on N. Clinton Street? Perhaps it is you who should not comment since you have lived there for only two years. If you think the area is such a paradise I suggest that you go to the Baltimore City Southeastern District police station and ask to review the crime statistics for 2007 and 2008. Pay particular attention to not only the number of homicides, but the number of people who have been shot or mugged. Remember Zach Sowers?

Secondly, why did you mention that you are a white female? Is that relevant? Doesn't crime effect people of all colors?

Thirdly, you need to take off the rose colored glasses. Patterson Park is not Utopia. I am not saying that the area where I live is paradise either, but I will take Carroll County over Patterson Park, or for that matter Baltimore City any day.
Sobo Lover

Pleasanton, CA

#13 Jul 15, 2008
Raven wrote:
<quoted text>
Firstly, do I have the right to comment about Patterson Park after spending over 23 years on N. Clinton Street? Perhaps it is you who should not comment since you have lived there for only two years. If you think the area is such a paradise I suggest that you go to the Baltimore City Southeastern District police station and ask to review the crime statistics for 2007 and 2008. Pay particular attention to not only the number of homicides, but the number of people who have been shot or mugged. Remember Zach Sowers?
Secondly, why did you mention that you are a white female? Is that relevant? Doesn't crime effect people of all colors?
Thirdly, you need to take off the rose colored glasses. Patterson Park is not Utopia. I am not saying that the area where I live is paradise either, but I will take Carroll County over Patterson Park, or for that matter Baltimore City any day.
I love these people from the County (who FLED from the city) chiming in on the issues that involve the City just to say how much better the County is. Who cares, go drive 20 minutes to the nearest Olive Garden or do whatever people do in Westminster and leave the Big City issues to people that can handle it.
Raven

Baltimore, MD

#14 Jul 15, 2008
Sobo Lover wrote:
<quoted text>
I love these people from the County (who FLED from the city) chiming in on the issues that involve the City just to say how much better the County is. Who cares, go drive 20 minutes to the nearest Olive Garden or do whatever people do in Westminster and leave the Big City issues to people that can handle it.
You hear sirens scream ... I hear birds sing,

You see children beaten on the streets ... I hear children laughing in the meadows,

You see 50,000 heroin addicts groveling in the fecal laden streets ... I see fish swimming in the brook,

You have a broken judicial system with murderers, thugs and rapists on every corner ... I see trees, grass and better way of life,

You try to educate the kids in a zoo of chaos and calamity ... I see progress and one of the best systems in Maryland,

You have loved ones slain in a vacuum of violent incomprehensibility ... I have peace, quiet and safety for my loved ones.

Baltimore City ... a wonderful place to live ... and die. Congratulations Sobo lover, and to your ilk for your courageous efforts... if that's what you want to call it.
Go Os

Pleasanton, CA

#15 Jul 16, 2008
Raven wrote:
<quoted text>
You hear sirens scream ... I hear birds sing,
You see children beaten on the streets ... I hear children laughing in the meadows,
You see 50,000 heroin addicts groveling in the fecal laden streets ... I see fish swimming in the brook,
You have a broken judicial system with murderers, thugs and rapists on every corner ... I see trees, grass and better way of life,
You try to educate the kids in a zoo of chaos and calamity ... I see progress and one of the best systems in Maryland,
You have loved ones slain in a vacuum of violent incomprehensibility ... I have peace, quiet and safety for my loved ones.
Baltimore City ... a wonderful place to live ... and die. Congratulations Sobo lover, and to your ilk for your courageous efforts... if that's what you want to call it.
"I see progress and one of the best systems in Maryland" You are a moron! You probably elected Martin governor despite the plight of the city. What is so different about the screwed up system of Baltimore with the rest of the State? You are crazy if you think the city's problems cannot travel to your "little oasis". Stop burying your head in the sand like you are on an island. Been to Columbia, Owings Mills, or Edgewood lately, JACKASS? Oh, they're coming for you, just keep thinking your immune to the problems here and complain like you are better than everybody because you had the lack of guts to get out! Why don't you live in France, they LOVE cowards!

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#16 Jul 16, 2008
Well's Raven's right. Areas like that keep people like you and other zoo dwellers out of there oasis. Thats what makes it so great. Im sure he is well aware of what the city can dish out, thats why he lives in the oasis.

Go Os wrote:
<quoted text>
"I see progress and one of the best systems in Maryland" You are a moron! You probably elected Martin governor despite the plight of the city. What is so different about the screwed up system of Baltimore with the rest of the State? You are crazy if you think the city's problems cannot travel to your "little oasis". Stop burying your head in the sand like you are on an island. Been to Columbia, Owings Mills, or Edgewood lately, JACKASS? Oh, they're coming for you, just keep thinking your immune to the problems here and complain like you are better than everybody because you had the lack of guts to get out! Why don't you live in France, they LOVE cowards!
Go Os

Pleasanton, CA

#17 Jul 16, 2008
BaltPlce wrote:
Well's Raven's right. Areas like that keep people like you and other zoo dwellers out of there oasis. Thats what makes it so great. Im sure he is well aware of what the city can dish out, thats why he lives in the oasis.
<quoted text>
Perhaps you didn't have time to read my whole post, busy with all of your misspelling, but my comment is that no one is safe from the "zoo dwellers" or whatever you hicks scared of your own shadow call it. You can't move 20 miles away from a problem and just assume it goes away. You must have gone to school in the city you despise. I guess if I had your lack of education I would be bitter too.
Raven

Baltimore, MD

#18 Jul 16, 2008
Go Os wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you have lost the argument before it got started since you resorted to name calling. How does it feel when you get up in the morning to know that your age exceeds your IQ? Coward? I have looked death in the eyes several times and I still stand ... What about you snot nosed creep? For you it must really hurt to be stupid. You are truly an idiot who is lost in their own body. Now, go tell your mother to wash your clothes and pack your lunch ... you might be late for your summer school class. By the way, O,Malley sucks!
Raven is grumpy today

Pleasanton, CA

#19 Jul 16, 2008
Raven wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously you have lost the argument before it got started since you resorted to name calling. How does it feel when you get up in the morning to know that your age exceeds your IQ? Coward? I have looked death in the eyes several times and I still stand ... What about you snot nosed creep? For you it must really hurt to be stupid. You are truly an idiot who is lost in their own body. Now, go tell your mother to wash your clothes and pack your lunch ... you might be late for your summer school class. By the way, O,Malley sucks!
You're the one losing the argument by not having a point in your response. I've done this and I've done that and telling me to go home to my mother, I guess you really win the maturity battle, tough guy. At least we both think O'Malley is full of it. Are you afraid that my point was right on the money?(the politicians just didn't sell out the city my friend) Be sure to say hi to the gang at Applebee's for me this weekend when you have your big night on the town!
Raven

Baltimore, MD

#20 Jul 16, 2008
Raven is grumpy today wrote:
<quoted text>
You're the one losing the argument by not having a point in your response. I've done this and I've done that and telling me to go home to my mother, I guess you really win the maturity battle, tough guy. At least we both think O'Malley is full of it. Are you afraid that my point was right on the money?(the politicians just didn't sell out the city my friend) Be sure to say hi to the gang at Applebee's for me this weekend when you have your big night on the town!
What are you smoking? All of my points are valid and correct. Secondly, I am not your friend. Thirdly, Applebee's is not my style...I prefer the Antrium Inn. How about you, hero? Still stuffing your face at McDonald's? Why don't you you tell me all about the great things that you have accomplished in your meaningless life. Did mommie change your diaper too this morning?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 5 min cpeter1313 330,233
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 33 min Reality Check 1,704,887
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 5 hr Really 21,438
korryn gaines Feb 17 kyman 1
News 92Q radio lays off 2 of its morning personalities (Nov '08) Feb 15 Ronnie pridgett jr 76
News Baltimore County Council to vote Monday on cont... Feb 11 noobieR 1
Juvenile facility (Montrose School or others) i... (Aug '06) Feb 1 John Littleton 425

Baltimore Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Baltimore Mortgages