McCain's attacks fuel dangerous hatred

Full story: Baltimore Sun

Barack Obama with terrorism, questioning his patriotism and portraying Mr. Obama as "not one of us," I accuse you of deliberately feeding the most unhinged elements of our society the red meat of hate, and ...
Comments
1,061 - 1,080 of 1,161 Comments Last updated Nov 3, 2008
Marilyn

Choctaw, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

You said a lot with one word..."shame". It is a shame that even today when McCain was trying to send a kinder/gentler massage that he still used the phrase "our enemies watch". Since when did having a different opinion mean that someone is "the enemy"? I have voted for Democrats and Republicans, men and women in my life. I vote based on how that person matches up with how I feel about the issues. I never considered the people I didn't vote for the enemy. I did not feel the need to hate them.

So. I want to thank you for being a voice of reason. We certainly need to hear what rational minds have to say in these emotionally charged times.

Marty Belanger

Apopka, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

This article couldn't have been said better. This explains why McCain/Palin have "cleaned" up their act somewhat." Now maybe they will have time to come up with a plan to help Americans!
Caitlin

Glenside, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

My poor, handicapped, barely-able-to-function Mother was beaten up by some Republic Neo-Con Hussy in front of Gov. Palin, to cheers from Red Shirted sheep! Sarah Palin doesn't care about White Women!
JoJo

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Marilyn wrote:
You said a lot with one word..."shame". It is a shame that even today when McCain was trying to send a kinder/gentler massage that he still used the phrase "our enemies watch". Since when did having a different opinion mean that someone is "the enemy"? I have voted for Democrats and Republicans, men and women in my life. I vote based on how that person matches up with how I feel about the issues. I never considered the people I didn't vote for the enemy. I did not feel the need to hate them.
So. I want to thank you for being a voice of reason. We certainly need to hear what rational minds have to say in these emotionally charged times.
YeaaaaRighttttt.You birds really have your nerve after all the filth Palins family has been subjected to even on Sat. night live...The liberal sickos can't take the same treatment.
JoJo

Anchorage, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Lets not ever forget the famous words of No bamas wife.... I HAVE NEVER BEEN PROUD OF AMERICA (until Barrack was elected the dem candidate) meaning that before a black man was put in that position she felt Amcericans were racist. Michelle, Blacks are a minority that represent only 12% of the total population of the MAJORITY...so you have no reason to HATE America !!!
Leslie C

Pittsburgh, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Wow! Thank you for speaking out and bringing these behaviors to the forefront to be addressed now.
T Sak

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

"My poor, handicapped, barely-able-to-function Mother was beaten up by some Republic Neo-Con Hussy in front of Gov. Palin, to cheers from Red Shirted sheep! Sarah Palin doesn't care about White Women!"

What is that?
Crazy people crazy election.
Mac-7

Richardson, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Hate-filled 72-year old environmentalist arrested for vandalizing Hummers.

http://www.star-telegram.com/189/story/928330...

"At first Jeppe denied scratching other Hummers, but later confessed to damaging four more of them over a three-month period, the affidavit stated. The others were in the parking lots of various retail stores.

Jeppe, who is free on $1,000 bond, was unavailable for comment Tuesday. In the arrest warrant affidavit, however, Jeppe explained why he didn't like people who drive the big SUVs.

The vehicles, he complained, "have a big carbon footprint and they use four times as much gas as the rest of us," according to the affidavit.

Detective K. Fulgium, who wrote the affidavit, also said Jeppe complained that Hummer drivers take two parking spaces and "park wherever they want."

Jeppe told Fulgium that he is a member of two well-known environmental groups."
kupkucke

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

john maccain talks about the country but dont talk how he will change it
mike

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

it is very sad that the political gain in america is heading towards fueling the long sleepy beast the kkk.And the so many small but dangerous internal hate groups arround america, some of them are getting stronger because of mc cain palin ticket...and so many of them consider this ellection a battle ground...they have suported mc cain by all means..i worry about a party that promotes hatred behind close doors....what you saw on tv is only 1% or less of what is behind doors....if it does not stop, hell is coming and we are not prepared for it...An other civil war ahead that is what the republican want us to experience...we won't let you
Mary Lu Dixon

Tampa, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

When I heard in the crowd "kill him", I broke out in chill bumps. John McCain knows better. He seems to have started to lower the level of hate recently,but you are right, if he and Sarah Palin will be held responsible for whatever happens!
diane robertson

Chapel Hill, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Thank you!
Lorax

Monterey, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Judged:

Thank you, Mr. Schaeffer, for calling attention to the danger in riling up crowds and building votes by hatred and fear.
andre gignac

Saskatoon, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

I am a Canadian following closely the U.S. campaign. While I am still dumbfounded by the choice of Sarah Palin as a potential president, I am certainly very upset by the ugly turn the Republican campaign has taken. Whatever they say and however they try to explain it, it should be obvious to anyone with eyes and ears that the Republican ticket is in great part responsible for the actual atmosphere of hatred as it is expressed by those they call "nuts". At this stage, I am starting to fear for Mr. Obama's life. I sincerely hope that when he becomes President, security will be considered a high priority.

Since: Feb 08

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

andre gignac wrote:
I am a Canadian following closely the U.S. campaign. While I am still dumbfounded by the choice of Sarah Palin as a potential president, I am certainly very upset by the ugly turn the Republican campaign has taken. Whatever they say and however they try to explain it, it should be obvious to anyone with eyes and ears that the Republican ticket is in great part responsible for the actual atmosphere of hatred as it is expressed by those they call "nuts". At this stage, I am starting to fear for Mr. Obama's life. I sincerely hope that when he becomes President, security will be considered a high priority.
Since you are in Canada you might have missed this one....
An African-American McCain supporter got up and asked a question at a McCain rally the other day. His bad luck was that the cameras were filming it. You know, watching all those racists.
He now is receiving death threats from African-American Obama supporters for nothing more than not toeing the black line of Obamaism.
Racism and bigotry is rampant in both campaigns. That's the way it is in America, but we still love her.
KCMN

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

Thank you for writing this. I cannot believe this is happening in 2008.
I hope John McCain reads your editorial.
I pray for peace in the coming weeks.

Since: May 08

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

JoJo wrote:
<quoted text>YeaaaaRighttttt.You birds really have your nerve after all the filth Palins family has been subjected to even on Sat. night live...The liberal sickos can't take the same treatment.
You've confused NBC (National Broadcasting Corp, the TV network that airs Saturday Night Live) with DNC (Democratic National Committee).

Even so, I've watched all three SNL episodes where Tina Fey did her impersonation of Governor Palin and I didn't see or hear anything that could be described as "filth" or anything at all directed at her family. In fact, the biggest laughs were for lines that were lifted verbatim (that means they weren't changed) from Palin herself.

Did you even watch ... or are you basing your lie on second-hand reports that you read somewhere?

Since: May 08

Halifax, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 13, 2008

JoJo wrote:
Lets not ever forget the famous words of No bamas wife.... I HAVE NEVER BEEN PROUD OF AMERICA ...
You know what? I couldn't care if she hated the place and every person that lives in it ... as long as her husband does the job I'm confident he can do.

However, you did the quote completely wrong. She said: "This is the first time I've REALLY been proud of my country." That's quite a different sentiment than the line you wrote. But again, no one is asking you to vote for Michelle Obama.
ebs

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2008

Thank you for masterfully articulating how so many of us are feeling. McCain has lost whatever moral compass he had left
andrea

Durham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2008

Simply put, thank you for the candid discussion. My only additional comment is this: McCain cannot undo what he has done - and become - since the 2000 election. He cannot ever again be considered an honorable man worthy of serving this nation in any elected capacity. His campaign was what is was - the 'game is over' regardless of election outcomes.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Baltimore Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min Grey Ghost 1,099,010
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 24 min Hero Officer Wilson 18,824
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 1 hr Pearl Jam 305,426
How can I find a active biker dating site ? 17 hr kobe 1
Baltimore Stands with Israel Tue lavon affair 78
Police adjust resources after violent weekend Tue Anon 1
need help Tue Kelly baseman 1
•••
•••
•••

Baltimore Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••